Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:29 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Replace front rotor only?

I have some serious pulsing in my front brakes. Points to a warped rotor. Rather than try to have it trued (if you can even do that), I want to get a ne rotor. Is it possible/feasable to replace just the front rotor? Or should I go for both? I just changed my front pads, should they still be good for the front? I plan on doing the rear pads with the rotor change, if I actually end up changing the rear rotor......

Unrelated, new Avons going on today!!

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:42 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Replacing one rotor is fine, but the Avons are related.
Change while the wheel is off anyway.
Go floating.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:42 AM
pairofnines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I have some serious pulsing in my front brakes. Points to a warped rotor. Rather than try to have it trued (if you can even do that), I want to get a ne rotor. Is it possible/feasable to replace just the front rotor? Or should I go for both? I just changed my front pads, should they still be good for the front? I plan on doing the rear pads with the rotor change, if I actually end up changing the rear rotor......

Unrelated, new Avons going on today!!
While "just changed my pads" is unclear>

I would never use old pads on a new rotor if they have any miles to speak of on them>

that is just me>
Old 07-13-2007, 09:57 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by pairofnines View Post
While "just changed my pads" is unclear>

I would never use old pads on a new rotor if they have any miles to speak of on them>

that is just me>
They have roughly 200 miles on them (the pads that is). if that much.

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:02 AM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Go floating.
Ill do that once I settle on wheels next riding season......

Old 07-13-2007, 10:09 AM
pairofnines

Quote:
They have roughly 200 miles on them (the pads that is). if that much.
Then I would check them real close to be sure the surface is level and square and give them a go>
Old 07-13-2007, 10:15 AM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairofnines View Post
Then I would check them real close to be sure the surface is level and square and give them a go>
Will do. Thanks mucho....

Old 07-19-2007, 04:37 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Go floating.
Well, got the Debrix rotors in today. Not what I expected and as with 8ball, one of them was warped out of the box. Ordered a set of floaters from Zanotti's on Tuesday. Should be here soon.

Until then, I get to feel the pulse of the front rotor........hot

Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Clubhouse Electrician

Q-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Debrix.

I've had one experience with them.

Ordered some drag bars off eBay.

...took 3 weeks to get.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:50 PM
8-Ball

I'd bet those pads are still okay... but like nines said... check that they aren't angled over.

Clean the brake pistons...

I'd change both rotors to floaters while you have it apart...

Debrix has been removed from my list of vendors of quality parts.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:57 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Debrix has been removed from my list of vendors of quality parts.
I never even added them to my favorites.....

Floaters front and rear along with some chrome bolts.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:03 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
I never even added them to my favorites.....

Floaters front and rear along with some chrome bolts.
HD rotors are the best buy believe it or not...

I found the front wheel to drag after installing the new pads and floaters. One hard spin would get me about 1.5 revolutions. When I got back from the CO trip I found the front wheel to be free wheeling nicely.

I'd also highly recommend the speed bleeders... !!!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:05 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
HD rotors are the best buy believe it or not...

I found the front wheel to drag after installing the new pads and floaters. One hard spin would get me about 1.5 revolutions. When I got back from the CO trip I found the front wheel to be free wheeling nicely.

I'd also highly recommend the speed bleeders... !!!
I can't wait. Mine front rotor is pretty well warped right now. Not horrible, but very noticable. I got the HD floaters and hardware, so they should do well. Speed bleeders already on the front, the rear will go on once I do the rear rotor and pads......

Old 07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
8-Ball

Hauling a trailer from Florida to... oh say... Maryland seems to help as well.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:10 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Hauling a trailer from Florida to... oh say... Maryland seems to help as well.
The bike wont be on this trip. It will still be in Maryland. Just visiting my folks in Florida...........