Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Electrical Systems & Diagnostics
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Electrical Systems & Diagnostics Troubleshoot electrical problems here.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Lefse King

Chameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I don't know what the failure rate is on rotors, but I would think the magnets could come loose. Thats why the manual, and printed on the comp nut, do not use impact wrench. Though it seems like a alot of people do.

I hear of stators failing here and there, but are people really diferentating, which it really is?

Out of curosity has the volt reg been changed before? How long have you had it? Volt regs seem to be a Harley weaknes, and is almost a maintance item, to me. Sad.
The voltage regulator I just changed was about 5 years old. I have the breaker bar and a piece of steel that was machined to fit between the compensating sprocket and the clutch so they won't spin. I have had it off before when I had to change the drive belt!

Old 06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Lefse King

Chameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withChameleon is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
Not the rotor, but the stator can. It's just windings. One thing to check. Before you pull the rotor off, see if you can make it rock back and forth on the spline of the crank shaft. If you can, junk it. They're supposed to be on so that you really need the puller to remove them. If it's wiggling, it can make contact with the windings of the stator, then....... POOF! All gone!
I'll check that. My brother is coming over to help me with it. Hope to be back on the road tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I took my comp nut off with breaker bar too. Keep in mind, not everyone is from WI, and may need the assistance of an impact wrench.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Impact is cheating.

Breaker bar and extension pipe here...

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 06-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Lefse King

Dang it. Got the primary off and didn't have anything to pull the rotor off with. I'll have to find a puller.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Maybe an old style steering wheel puller?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 PM
really small member

sporty952 has failed to amuse us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
New Battery and voltage regulator didn't do the trick. Bought a new stator. Gonna install it after work today. Would a rotor ever go bad? Its just magnets.
Nuttin' like rushin' into things...
?!?

-Willy
Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Lefse King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
Maybe an old style steering wheel puller?
My Dad used to have all kinds of tools, including one of these. My sister sold all his tools when he gave her power of attorney. She could have fricking asked me, but NOOO.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:20 AM
Lefse King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty952 View Post
Nuttin' like rushin' into things...
?!?

-Willy
Fools rush in...

just sayin

Old 06-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
A steering wheel puller needs holes to screw into. Atleast the one I have does. Its made for things pressed on. Big ass bar, sphincter clenching is the way to go.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Lefse King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
A steering wheel puller needs holes to screw into. Atleast the one I have does. Its made for things pressed on. Big ass bar, sphincter clenching is the way to go.
The puller in the manual looks like a variation of the steering wheel puller. A Harmonic Balance Puller will do the same.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Excommunicated

Nevermind, I was think of comp nut, not the stator.