Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Electrical Systems & Diagnostics
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Electrical Systems & Diagnostics Troubleshoot electrical problems here.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:18 AM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Passing Lamp on RK

My L/H passing lamp stopped working after 400 miles or so (I thought d*mn, I hope they last longer than this) I took the light assembly apart to investigate. I took the ground wire loose from the bulb and checked continuity across the two bulb contacts (rang good), next checked the ground wire for continuity with chassis (good as well) wtf. Reconnected ground wire to bulb, turned on power and the bulb lit up. If this keeps up, I'll build up a thin layer of solder on the bulb contacts so the ground and power terminals fit more snuggly on the bulb contacts.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Is it spade connectors on the back? Give them a light squeeze. Mine were changed by previous owener and I am not sure if they are stop connectors. I am running 55w wagners. $17. As oppsoed to HD 35w for $35
Old 06-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
BTW I would not sodler them, then you can't change on the road. Not that you couldn't dowithout. But I have changed a couple out on the road.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
I wasn't going to solder the terminal (spade connector) to the bulb. I was talking about floating a thin layer of solder on the blade connectors of the bulb to make them just a hair thicker. The solder is a little softer and the spade connector can kinda dig in and get a better contact.

Thanks for the heads up on the alternate bulbs.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
One of mine quit shortly after I got it and one of the wires was not seated properly in the plastic connector.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkip View Post
I wasn't going to solder the terminal (spade connector) to the bulb. I was talking about floating a thin layer of solder on the blade connectors of the bulb to make them just a hair thicker. The solder is a little softer and the spade connector can kinda dig in and get a better contact.

Thanks for the heads up on the alternate bulbs.
Bad idea. A temp fix at best. Harleys vibrate, soft solder would not hold the contact steady, it would wear due to the vibration and you are back at ground zero with a screwed up spade contact.

Pinch the female end down just a tad and use scosh of dielectric grease on them to prevent oxidation. Check all the contacts at the connectors if it fails again, messing with it may have move something and temporarily fixed it.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Double-D

Thanks fellas. I'll try it your methods first. If it gives me anymore ****e after that, I'm gonna use aircraft type connectors on the leads and use the screws and not the blades on the bulbs.

; ^ )
Old 06-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Hand Wringer

FinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Is it spade connectors on the back? Give them a light squeeze. Mine were changed by previous owener and I am not sure if they are stop connectors. I am running 55w wagners. $17. As oppsoed to HD 35w for $35
Zerk, do those Wagner's just plug and play?

*Sensitive at all times.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalBags View Post
Zerk, do those Wagner's just plug and play?
Iwish I knew. I got them on my 01. Previopus owner hit a deer, then took insurance money bought a new bike. 55w passing, 100/110 headlight and wired passing to be on all the time.

I want to up grade the passing lamps on my 07,but I I am to lazy to open them up and look.

I do like the 55w and being on all the time. Just got to get a fire under my

As for the Wagners the local indie and dealr took some time finding them. But I bought them off the shelf from J&P at Sturgis. So you would think plug and play, but no guarantee.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Excommunicated

I did seem to be losing a bulb yearly, out west, or when I got home. About 15k miles. Running 90 mph for long stretches may do it. Nuicance, they did have a few miles on them. Plus rode hard out west.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Excommunicated

Now that I think about it, I think the spots on my FLHR may be have screws holding them on. Though I won't swear to it.

If you had spade conenctors, I wonder if there is enough surface to drill it and nut and bolt the connector? Crimp ring terminals on the wire.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Double-D

The bulbs have both spade and screw connections. All I would have to do is cut off the terminals, strip some insulation and crimp ring type connectors on the wires.

Thanks for the help.

; ^ )
Old 07-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Hand Wringer

FinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkip View Post
Thanks fellas. I'll try it your methods first. If it gives me anymore ****e after that, I'm gonna use aircraft type connectors on the leads and use the screws and not the blades on the bulbs.

; ^ )
Where you gonna get them connectors?

*Sensitive at all times.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Excommunicated

The tabs on the bulbs are drilled for a screw right? Aren't ring terminals on the wires? Trying to remember. I should look soon cause I would like to upgrade my 07.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Your 07 id a h3 halogen bulb with the American 90 degree connector. It is all plastic and has to twist to set.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!