Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > BMW
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

BMW Bikes that are engineered to be ridden... just sayin'...

Old 06-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
2012 GS Adventure final thoughts

It's been gone for 48 hours.

The Good:

- Amazing motor. Great torque curve, great responsiveness, great fuel economy, and not a lot of heat.

- Amazing suspension. The Paralever/Telelever is eye-popping. Nothing, and I mean nothing upset that suspension. The anti-dive of the front end made cornering almost too easy. Trail-brake into a corner and power out properly and it was like being shot out of a cannon.

- Great brakes. Awesome feel with easy modulation. Seamless ABS. Linked brakes are the shiznit.

- Storage capacity better than a family of Sherpas.

- Easy maintenance. The oil filter points straight down. Between the center stand and the height, everything is easy to get to. Back wheel comes off in less than 2 minutes.

The Bad:

- My knee just couldn't take the riding position. Left leg was fine, not so much the right.

- The suspension geometry that made it so entertaining in the mountains made it not quite relaxing on the highway. Not necessarily "busy", but it was a much more involving riding experience.

- I have a 34" inseam and couldn't flat-foot it. There's something to be said for flat-footing.

- Dry clutch. Utterly nonsensical to have one on a bike built for crawling off-road.

- Speaking of which, it was just too damn big and heavy to really get comfortable off-road.

The Ugly:

- Oil usage. Holy $hit! Almost 19,000 miles with 6,000 mile service intervals. I added 16 quarts of oil between services. According to the dealers, BMW, and the interweb gurus, that's acceptable. F*ck that.

- I didn't ride it. The year of the wreck, I rode 31,000 miles between the two bikes. I rode 10,000 miles less this past year, and that's including Cortez. I did the 12k service in late August, the 18k two weeks ago. Sure, there were other factors, but I sure found a lot of excuses not to ride.

Overall, it was a really good bike. I tend to think mine was an outlier regarding the oil usage, but that's cold comfort. I do think that I needed it to get myself comfortable with really riding again. I don't regret the purchase a bit.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 06-02-2013, 08:15 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Wait till you start breaking sh!t on the Harley junk!

Sent from my phone
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippsy View Post
Wait till you start breaking sh!t on the Harley junk!
At least there's no Von Douche here to tell me I'm the problem.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
There's always me to break your balls

Sent from my phone
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Russ? Mark my words.......................
You WILL ride more.
You WILL enjoy it more.
And although you may miss some of the traits of the BMW, overall, you won't miss the bike.
Re-visit this in a year, and see if I'm wrong..........................................
I don't think so.

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
No more power ranger?

Kimber

Old 06-03-2013, 04:55 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
No more power ranger?
We'll see....

Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
So, where did 4 gallons of oil go?

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
So, where did 4 gallons of oil go?
Out the tailpipe, 'cause it never leaked a drop. You hear a lot of BS on the forums about BMW's extra-special, super-duper, harder-than-diamonds cylinder walls, and how long it takes (vith mineral oil only dummkopf!) to seat the rings and break the bike in.

Then there's the "all boxer engines burn oil" BS, to which I point to over 150,000 miles on our Subarus with no oil burned.

Then there's the "air cooled engines have looser tolerances" BS, to which I point to over 100,000 miles on our three (now four) Harleys with about a quart burned between them.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Then there's the "air cooled engines have looser tolerances" BS, to which I point to over 100,000 miles on our three (now four) Harleys with about a quart burned between them.
To which you get the heretic label?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
We'll see....

It's like one of them mugs with a pic on it that changes when you fill it with hot coffee. Looks about half-full.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
And I bet that looks purdy next to the leetle Subaru.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
To which you get the heretic label?
Oh yeah, that statement on a BMW forum goes over like a fart in church.