Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Handlebars, Grips, Cables...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2019, 08:07 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
14" KST Pathfinder install

Or, where have you been all my life, 14" apes?

I'm getting old. I have minor stenosis in a few of my cervical vertebrae, which - if I don't keep my posture just so - causes tingling and numbness in my left arm. I'm broken down too. I had a microdiscectomy for my L1/S1 vertebrae back in April. I also had a nasty bunch compression fractures in my left wrist from a bike wreck a few years ago. It healed, but the bones knitted back together just a bit crooked, so my left hand sort of sits at a weird angle at the wrist.

I'd pushed the stock Ultra bars forward a bit, but the pullback on them was just too much. I've ridden like that for just about 4 years, but my last ride to Toledo and back left me with numb hands and a sore back from slumping over.

I saw a thread here about the KST Vanguard series bars, loved the adjustability of the pullback, and figured, "what the hell?" Ordered them from Dennis Kirk, waited a week, and here we are. Also decided to install Harley heated grips at the same time.

The video from KST leaves some stuff out and oversimplifies the installation. The written instructions are pretty poor (but still better than Harley's instructions for the grips. Having a shop manual helps.

Getting the old bars off is simple. The KST video forgets to tell you to remove the trigger button from the left grip. Small screwdriver, slide it outboard and off. Definitely put a towel over the tank. I'd already removed the pin from the bar clamp, a hammer and punch snap the pins off the clutch and brake clamps.

Have a seat at the kitchen table, pull the wires out of the old bars. Take the lower mount for the new bars, make sure it's oriented per the instructions, and put the two side pieces into the lower clamps. Pound them flush with the bottom with a rubber or leather mallet. Snug but don't tighten the pinch bolts.

Take the woven "finger trap", thread it through the new bars, stick the plugs in the top end (I used blue painter's tape on one plug that wouldn't fit), and run the new wires. Piece of cake.

Get the new bars on the bike, make sure the hydraulic lines are behind the bars and that the wiring can be run behind the nacelle, and clamp the bars down. Get on the bike, adjust everything where you want it, whip out your torque wrench, and tighten everything down.

The wiring is a piece of cake. The hydraulic lines......No so. KST says you can use the stock lines, and you can, but...I don't like how tight they are. At full lock, you'll pull the line loom on the right side (the plastic piece that all the hydraulic lines run through) out of its holder. These bars really need another inch on each of the lines, 2" would be even better. So I got a set of the Harley Diamondback lines and all's well.

Anyhoo, I buttoned everything up and went for a ride. Total time was 4 hours, and I could do it again in 2 hours.

Holy mother of god.....I can't believe how much more comfortable my bike is. I rode for 90 minutes and no numbness or tingling in my hands or arms. My back stayed straight without having to think about it. These things are the shiznit.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)