Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Tins, Body Work, & Paint
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Exclamation FXDLRG (????)

Ok, somma you folks and folkettes are gonna think I'm plumb done gone outta' my mind (such as it is, I am a child of the 60's after all).
Heres the scoop- some of you know that I am the VERY proud owner of a 2009 FXD Super Glide (Oh yeah!- thats where "stupidglide" came from!) I ride the poop out of my scoot on as many back roads as I can, whenever possible, only I got tired of of the front end skippin' across the pavement, thus the Fat Boy wheels. Now- with that fat ol' 16' tire on the front, and the 49mm forks, it handles like its on rails, it is after all a Dyna, one of the best corner carvin' bikes ever to come from the Motor Company.
Now- this brings me to the point- as I'm no spring turkey no more, and I'm gettin' tired of freezin' my noogies (and other body parts as well) I'm puttin' a 2008 Road Glide fairing on it. Now I've looked around, and can't say I've seen a single Dyna set up this way. So, anybody out there seen such a critter, been there, done this, know someone who has, wants too, etc. I will be posting piccies as I go, and thought I'd toss this out there and see what all y'all think about this here project, have any input, hints, tips (or just want to roll your eyes at me over my general Doof-i-ness). I expect I'll have it completed in about the next month or so, and will keep you updated.

Oh yeah- What does FXDLRG mean? FXD (the bike) L (Lucky, my nickname since I was about 4 years old) RG- Road Glide of course!

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Last edited by stupidglide; 01-31-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: cause I forgot to spell check
Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Pics I hope.....

Hope the pics uploaded!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010048.jpg (73.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg P1010049.jpg (79.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg P1010050.jpg (75.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg P1010051.jpg (85.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg P1010052.jpg (81.1 KB, 75 views)

just a big ol' Doof.....

Last edited by stupidglide; 02-01-2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Thanks Mega! You ferkin' ROCK!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 AM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Upside is that it'll be harder for others to see the speedo

Will probably dive like a dolphin if you brake more than moderately

Should look pretty good though

Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetoys View Post

Well, so long as it doesn't dive like a Brazilian guy dining on poisoned poon...

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 AM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetoys View Post

All good points, thus the Progressive suspension HD fork springs, 1" preload spacers, cartridge emulators and I went up to 30 weight fork oil with moly additive to help preclude all the divin' activities (Brazilian or otherwise) I can lock up the front wheel at will, if she weren't so heavy, she'd do stoppies
I'm a big believer of the mantra of:
#1, UPGRADE SUSPENSION
#2, GOOD RUBBER
#3, BETTER BRAKES
#4, THEN make it go like a scalded dog!

I'm hoping to get a set of hard bags on her before summer is over too.
If anyone else has suggestions/ pointers/ hints/ abject criticisms, etc. Please, let me know!

just a big ol' Doof.....
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 AM
Double-D
Lone Doof

Last Cigar Smoked: Griffin
RoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milk
How does the fairing attach?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 AM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
I'm using a modified "crash bar eliminator" on the bottom (Hotop designs, about $90.00) and am currently modifying a stock 2008 Road Glide upper fairing mounting bracket, complete with the radio carrier (As that is actually the backing plate for the fairing mount) to attach it to the frame. I will either fab up a bolt on adapter to the front tank mount, or weld 2 attachment points to the head tube casting (Using a TIG welder). I will send along pics and details as I go, detailing what I've done, and how I've done it. I'm reasonably sure it will work just fine, as I have seen this done on a V-Rod, complete with radio and everything ("Long haul V-Rod", November 2012 issue of Baggers magazine, pages 94 through 98)
When I do the hard bags, I'm upgading the rear shocks, and adding a suspension stabilizer kit (eliminates the dreaded rear steer some folks experience on the rubber mount bikes)
I'm going to keep the paint simple (black) and use as many stock parts as I can. If you'll note- that is a Fat Boy front wheel in a mid-glide front end, and it uses all stock spacers, bearings and axle hardware. I try to use the OEM stuff, as if something breaks, out in the middle of East Overshoe, I can get parts for it easily- for example, did you know NAPA sells brake pads for Harleys? And they're good ones too!

just a big ol' Doof.....

Last edited by stupidglide; 02-01-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: 'Cause I can't spel verry gud..........
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Pompous Prick

Last Cigar Smoked: Punch maduro
Slick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milk
I'd trade the bike in for a real bagger. But that's just me.

Curt

Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post

Kimber

Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Looks like wif tape.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I like black~
Where did you get the bike stand from?

®
Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Double-D
Lone Doof

Last Cigar Smoked: Griffin
RoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidglide View Post
I'm using a modified "crash bar eliminator" on the bottom (Hotop designs, about $90.00) and am currently modifying a stock 2008 Road Glide upper fairing mounting bracket, complete with the radio carrier (As that is actually the backing plate for the fairing mount) to attach it to the frame. I will either fab up a bolt on adapter to the front tank mount, or weld 2 attachment points to the head tube casting (Using a TIG welder). I will send along pics and details as I go, detailing what I've done, and how I've done it. I'm reasonably sure it will work just fine, as I have seen this done on a V-Rod, complete with radio and everything ("Long haul V-Rod", November 2012 issue of Baggers magazine, pages 94 thruogh 98)
When I do the hard bags, I'm upgading the rear shocks, and adding a suspension stabilizer kit (eliminates the dreaded rear steer some folks experience on the rubber mount bikes)
I'm going to keep the paint simple (black) and use as many stock parts as I can. If you'll note- that is a Fat Boy front wheel in a mid-glide front end, and it uses all stock spacers, bearings and axle hardware. I try to use the OEM stuff, as if something breaks, out in the middle of East Overshoe, I can get parts for it easily- for example, did you know NAPA sells brake pads for Harleys? And they're good ones too!
Looking forward to the pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlfitr View Post
Looks like wif tape.
Exactly! That's why I asked!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
You definitely want the dual disks if you're backroad bombing. The only way I can keep up with some of our faster members is by outbraking them into the curves (and a slightly better lean angle).

I found that the Progressive springs and a fork brace really tightened up the front end.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
30wt fork oil? Assuming you've used heavier springs to compensate for the additional weight of the fairing, that's way too heavy. I ran 5wt in the Limited with Intiminators (which are similar to your emulators). I wouldn't thing you'd want anything heavier than 15wt, maximum.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)