Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Headers & Exhaust
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 02:01 PM
BigAlsRK

Rear exhaust mount

Well the tab on the rear exhaust mount is broken.

Does anyone know if I have to buy the entire mount or do they sell the tab separately??
Old 08-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It's a little tab, 90* with the threaded stud on it, right? That one is like 5 bucks at HD. Gotta loosen the clamp on the pipe, then it's a 1/2" socket to pull the nut off. Wiggle it out of the black mount (the one that bolts to the starter) and put it back in.

<HINT> Buy two of them when you're there.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 08-16-2008, 02:36 PM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
It's a little tab, 90* with the threaded stud on it, right? That one is like 5 bucks at HD. Gotta loosen the clamp on the pipe, then it's a 1/2" socket to pull the nut off. Wiggle it out of the black mount (the one that bolts to the starter) and put it back in.

<HINT> Buy two of them when you're there.
Yep...that be the one.....yep 2 sounds right!
Old 08-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
While you're in there, make sure that your header pipe is snug to the head, and make sure that the rear hanger under the L saddle bag is secure. Also check the bag support that runs under the bag and attaches to the underside of the rear fender. Sometimes they crack and that puts strain on the pipe.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 08-16-2008, 02:46 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
What Geezer said,... and keep the spare in your saddlebag.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:47 PM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
While you're in there, make sure that your header pipe is snug to the head, and make sure that the rear hanger under the L saddle bag is secure. Also check the bag support that runs under the bag and attaches to the underside of the rear fender. Sometimes they crack and that puts strain on the pipe.
Rear hanger? That flat slider?
Old 08-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

What the flat slider is humg from. Should be a black bar running from the bag guard (the chrome one in front of the saddle bag,) under the bag and attaching with two torx screws to a bracket thats attached to the bottom of the rear fender. It's part of the light/bumper assy. They've been known to crack under there, then there's nothing supporting your exhaust way back there.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 08-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Mine sitting on the shelf, since I got 2-1. Maybe will throw it in the saddle bag of other bike.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:27 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Mine sitting on the shelf, since I got 2-1. Maybe will throw it in the saddle bag of other bike.
The V&H True Duals (like what Al has) and the Reinharts seem to break this bracket more than any other type of pipe,... simply because the crossover pipe helps support the rear pipe. With the true duals, its only supported by the head, the chicken sh!t bracket, and the slider bracket that supports the muffler. That's it.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 PM
pairofnines

Just went out and checked mine ------------ it's good but I put the parts number on my list to buy next trip to the dealer>
Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Good luck Big...Mr. Big Al~

®
Old 08-16-2008, 09:58 PM
El Errante

What breaks them is if you torque the motor a lot by getting on the throttle hard. The more torque the motor has, the easier it is to break it. That little bracket is solid mounted and it takes all the abuse. When they break, the rear pipe flops around pretty good.

To replace it all you have to do is loosen the heat shield, tap the broken tab out with a screwdriver, remove lower piece. Make sure and retighten the flange nuts on the head before tightening the new bracket in place.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
TORQUE.........!!!!!!!!!!!

BigAl Has Torque~

(torque did it)
`
`
`
`
wish i had torque......

®
Old 08-16-2008, 10:06 PM
pairofnines

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
The more torque the motor has, the easier it is to break it.
:yawn: I may never need to replace mine ----- riding like an old man and all>

Guess I can use the money for Tequila instead of a bracket>
Old 08-16-2008, 10:12 PM
El Errante

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairofnines View Post
:yawn: I may never need to replace mine ----- riding like an old man and all>

Guess I can use the money for Tequila instead of a bracket>
I see you have acquired the sleeping sickness now, Richard. :yawn: I'm a bad influence...