Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 11-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
pining, again

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 11-14-2010, 05:50 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
I think my Street Glide could use these along with a nice cam............Too bad all my spending's complete for a while.....

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:25 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Cams and heads are a marriage either made in heaven or hell.
IMHO, it'd be casting pearls before swine to put those heads on a bike w/ 26s in it.

I don't know what that means, but it sounds really bad.

Maybe Dave can tell me if they will work well on an Ultra Limited (103) with a Wood TW5-6 cam in it?

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 11-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawg View Post
I don't know what that means, but it sounds really bad.
Like, I Know, right?

Fer instance, I didn't even know that pearls could be cast! I always assumed they hadda be forged, ya know? We gots folks here who just KNOW shit.

amazing.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Pompous Prick

Last Cigar Smoked: Punch maduro
Slick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Surly View Post
Like, I Know, right?

Fer instance, I didn't even know that pearls could be cast! I always assumed they hadda be forged, ya know? We gots folks here who just KNOW shit.

amazing.
I usually troll for pearls, casting just wears your arm out and its hard to tell when they've taken the bait.

Curt

Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
It's not all secret and spooky, it's just that the head gets matched to the cam, mostly compression-wise, and if you have the heads done for something with a sweet spot in the 9:1 range, then decide to get a hotter cam that needs more compression after the fact, you gotta get the heads re-cc'd at a minimum. May be issues with valve clearance, etc. at that point as well, depending on the piston you selected, so all I was saying is that you and the guy doing your heads have to discuss the cams and what you want out of the build before you plunk down your pesos. The whole thing revolves around the cam.

P.S. If I was doing a build right now, or keeping my bike a little longer than what I plan to, I would so be all over these...

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
P.S. If I was doing a build right now, or keeping my bike a little longer than what I plan to, I would so be all over these...
IKR
Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Site Sponsor
Doof Member

JDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Before I order the work to be done on the heads, I talk with the customer about how he rides,what he is looking for out of the build and budget.
All heads are not done, slid on a shelf then sent out to the next phone call. They are made for the build that they will be used on.
I have a stock 88" coming in for a set of super stocks and he is running a 26 cam. For this build I will need to open up the valve pockets for the larger valves and keep the compression at around 9.3.9.5 max. This will keep the ping monsters away.
I have been spending a lot of time on low compression builds due to the fact that the fuel is bad and is going to get worse with the forcast E15 fuel.
If you do just the heads on a bike that has a previous build with cams and larger pistons/cylinders, you should expect a 10 hp/tq gain along with a higher flatter torque curve.
Oh yea, I do need your heads for cores.

Route 412, Bethlehem. 412 = (4, 1+2=3) = 43

Last edited by JDsCycleWorks; 11-15-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: more answers
Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
It's not all secret and spooky, it's just that the head gets matched to the cam, mostly compression-wise, and if you have the heads done for something with a sweet spot in the 9:1 range, then decide to get a hotter cam that needs more compression after the fact, you gotta get the heads re-cc'd at a minimum. May be issues with valve clearance, etc. at that point as well, depending on the piston you selected, so all I was saying is that you and the guy doing your heads have to discuss the cams and what you want out of the build before you plunk down your pesos. The whole thing revolves around the cam.

This is sage advice. The cam, compression, and heads all have to work in harmony. The various forums are littered with disappointing dyno sheets because someone stuck a 625 cam in a motor with stock heads and compression.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 11-15-2010, 07:59 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I stand corrected.
I always considered the 26 a great cam for stock compression if a guy wasn't going to swap out or rework his heads. Didn't realize there was that much more to be had outta them with head work.
That's why he's the smart Dave, I reckon.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Northeastern Doofdom

silent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
That would be me. I'm not getting rid of my bike anytime soon, and I really want to do this. My cheap side is screaming at me telling me don't do it, but the impulsive side is winning.

My local dealer is running a special for a 103" kit (minus cams) for $1200. I hate being responsible.

Last edited by silent1; 11-17-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent1 View Post
That would be me. I'm not getting rid of my bike anytime soon, and I really want to do this. My cheap side is screaming at me telling me don't do it, but the impulsive side is winning.

My local dealer is running a special for a 103" kit (minus cams) for $1200. I hate being responsible.
Cam, I'd pass at that price. I'm sure it doesn't include heads either, and if it does something ain't right. Save your money and do it right the first time. Don't spend money twice.

Kimber

Old 11-17-2010, 04:24 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

I think he's at 88", so that'd include a crank, no?

Old 11-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Northeastern Doofdom

silent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
Cam, I'd pass at that price. I'm sure it doesn't include heads either, and if it does something ain't right. Save your money and do it right the first time. Don't spend money twice.
I know it's not a good deal. I still have Dave's estimate that he gave me back in August, and no one around here can touch it. Definitely not that dealer that I mentioned; the deal doesn't include cams or heads.

I have a stock 88.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Site Sponsor
Doof Member

JDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
10% Cam

Route 412, Bethlehem. 412 = (4, 1+2=3) = 43