Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Accessories
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Accessories Horns, Pegs, Guards, MP3, Sat. Radio, GPS, etc.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thumbs down GPS

Been runnin' a Garmin nuvi 2455 LMT on the 'b' for a while now.

Got it as a low cost taste into all that is GPS navigation. It gets updated on a regular basis, as well.

I've grown tired of scripting rides every time I go somewhere, either solo or leading a small group.

So, I decided that I wasn't gonna script the ride to Oily Souls in Detroit this past weekend.

Easy enough to get from South Bend to Detroit, just follow U.S. 12 'til you see Two James Distillery. Find a place to park. Easy peasy.

But, I really needed it to get from Detroit to Muskegon.

It is pretty much a straight shot between the two points, but there were some turns involved.

No biggie, I thought.

I thought wrong.

That Garmin led me on and off of various x-ways for no apparent reason. At least once, in Detroit, it put me in a bind. Fortunately, no harm came my way.

It also led me to the side streets of Grand Rapids (again, pulling me off the x-way) when I really needed to start making time as time was getting short.

My scripts have never got me lost.

The Garmin has me chasing wild gooseys.

While chasing those wild gooseys, I recalled at least once that I followed a GPS-led herder. A good ride turned into a CF. And, although that was in the distant past, it was something that I finally remembered. Happy then? Not!

So, back to scripts for me. And maps. Lots of maps.

I'm weary of tryin' to make the Garmin do what I want it to do.

But I'll keep it handy, just in case I need to find a gas station or a place to eat.......

But as an instrument of reliance, it ain't.

Last edited by orbit; 08-25-2014 at 09:35 PM. Reason: correct grammatical errors
Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Above Average DDude

Last Cigar Smoked: A. Fuente, Curly Head
YankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
So, back to scripts for me. And maps. Lots of maps.

I'm weary of tryin' to make the Garmin do what I want it to do.

But I'll keep it handy, just in case I need to find a gas station or a place to eat.......

But as an instrument of reliance, it ain't.

This^^^

Sh!t doesn't stink unless ya' poke it!

Deut 23:12-13 (How to sh!t in the woods)
Old 08-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yes if you are totally unfamiliar with an area, it does the job, until you know the ins and outs of an area.

Led me astray in Fernley NV one time in the car, took me through all kinds of neighborhoods, later I figured it was "mapping" the shortest route.

Not the quickest, later I figured, by looking at a map, to stay on the old US 50 route through town, takes way less time.

Seattle is fun with one and the tall buildings...

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 08-25-2014, 07:32 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sometimes you have to trust your gut and defy the lady in the box

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Have found my droid with google maps to be far more reliable than the GPS's of others I was traveling with.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 08-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
A GPS is a funny thing. If it can shave a minute off of your time, and you told it the fastest route, off through the ghetto you go. If it can shave a mile off the distance, and you told it the shortest route, off through the ghetto you go. Avoidance's are another thing that sends you off through the ghetto. The handiest feature they could put on a GPS unit is AVOID THE GHETTOS!!!!!!!!!! Glad nothing bad happened, Ken. I have leaned that I put my destination in so it is saved, then refer to a map to get the bulk of the travel out of the way, then use the GPS for the last few miles. Also useful for estimating how I am doing on time, but it serves no purpose when travelling 75 miles of slab.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:57 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I don't have an issue with any of mine....

My Dad and Stepdad, however....

I just told them both they have to be smarter than their electronics, they are just a tool...
A 5/8 wrench won't change your oil for you.
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_me View Post
A GPS is a funny thing. If it can shave a minute off of your time, and you told it the fastest route, off through the ghetto you go. If it can shave a mile off the distance, and you told it the shortest route, off through the ghetto you go. Avoidance's are another thing that sends you off through the ghetto. The handiest feature they could put on a GPS unit is AVOID THE GHETTOS!!!!!!!!!! Glad nothing bad happened, Ken. I have leaned that I put my destination in so it is saved, then refer to a map to get the bulk of the travel out of the way, then use the GPS for the last few miles. Also useful for estimating how I am doing on time, but it serves no purpose when travelling 75 miles of slab.
Yeah, the 'avoid the ghettos' feature would be welcome.

I was sorta stupid, too. Was gassed by five, I shoulda prepped the trip a little better, and used my noodle instead of relying on the computer.........

HINT: I-96 goes to Lansing! Lansing is on the way to MUSKEGON! There's I-96, right down THERE! Hey, DUMBASS, WHY are you up HERE?

ME:

A Michigan road map would've come in handy. Natch, I had nothin'.......

I'll have to check the GPS' settings. That shortest route thing is prolly my new default setting.

So I guess GIGO applies to my Detroit wanderings.......

Lookin' back at it, I'm sure the locals were plenty stunned to see someone of my ilk roamin' their neighborhoods.

Me giggle now. Then, not so much.

And, 95 is more better than 88.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The biggest issue I run into with GPS' is when the maps are outdated. The more up to date, the fewer issues, at least that has been the case for me. Even then, they are more of a tool to keep me aware of my ETA to the days destination or as a loose guide to my route. We've all experienced a suboptimal route suggestion

Old 08-25-2014, 11:20 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
I don't have an issue with any of mine....

My Dad and Stepdad, however....

I just told them both they have to be smarter than their electronics, they are just a tool...
A 5/8 wrench won't change your oil for you.

Not even those fancy ratchety box end ones?

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 08-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
Yeah, the 'avoid the ghettos' feature would be welcome.

I could have used that on the way to ES '10 in KC MO...

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...