Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Touring Discussion
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 07:04 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Pretty sure my left fairing mount broke this weekend

Anybody making a better one, or has the MoCo improved them recently or anything hopeful like that?
Left side buzzes like a fiend at 18-2000 RPM.
Gonna dig into it presently.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Um, they all do that.

Have you tried peanut butter?

Seen this kit on eBay, looks easy enough to install, even a mail could do it!

H-D Fairing repair kit.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Anybody making a better one, or has the MoCo improved them recently or anything hopeful like that?
Left side buzzes like a fiend at 18-2000 RPM.
Gonna dig into it presently.
They did at sometime. When I changed the bars on my bagger and had the fairing apart I noticed the left side inner fairing bracket was broke. My local dealer sold me the single bracket, didn't have to buy a whole set or anything else. It looks to be better made than the stock brackets on my 98 E-Glide.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Peanut butter?,,. Must be a cheese thing.

®
Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
Yes. They did beef them up quite a bit.

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Are you talking main vertical bracket, or the wing brackets that connect near the speaker?

The main ones now have a reinforced top mount where most breaks occurred. I've had them break near the stereo too.

I replaced the speaker brackets with stainless ones I got off another site, but he's not making them presently because of supplier issues.

Kimber

Old 09-20-2010, 10:29 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Pretty sure it's the main ones.
I've had the speaker supports break, and this is different.
Sounds/feels/looks like the left fairing mount mirror glass is going to vibrate out for a couple hundred RPM.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
If it's the left side you only have to take off the clutch cable. If It's the other side, then the throttle and idle cables will probably have to be disconnected.

Mine have both been replaced. One twice. I have the upgraded main supports now, so I'm hoping they last a long time.

Finding them in stock could be the biggest issue.

Kimber

Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
Um, they all do that.

Have you tried peanut butter?

Seen this kit on eBay, looks easy enough to install, even a mail could do it!

H-D Fairing repair kit.
The issue I have with these is the tabs on the end are not overlapping and welded,like the upgraded HD parts are now. They could do in a pinch, bit if you were on the road without a dril your up the creek.

Kimber

Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
If it's the left side you only have to take off the clutch cable. If It's the other side, then the throttle and idle cables will probably have to be disconnected.

Mine have both been replaced. One twice. I have the upgraded main supports now, so I'm hoping they last a long time.

Finding them in stock could be the biggest issue.
What kinda time did it take you and how many monies?

Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The new mounts are substantially stronger than the old ones Dave. To replace the left side main bracket will take you 1-2 hrs. depending on your tools and skill. Remove the fairing face, the fairing cap and the turn/driving light bar. Remove the two bolts for that side of the radio, two bolts for the inner fairing to bracket and take the clutch cable off at the lever perch. Wiggle the old bracket up and out. While your in there find the temp sensor and lengthen the wires and move it down as low as you can get it on the new bracket your installing(I drilled a hole for it to mount so it sits behind the lower trim piece below the fairing face) this keeps it in the air flow and not up in the stagnant air that's heated up by the headlight and radio. Mine's accurate within a couple degrees now.

Brackets are about $50 for the mains and $15 for the speaker supports, while your in there you might as well replace them all with the new and improved.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
The new mounts are substantially stronger than the old ones Dave. To replace the left side main bracket will take you 1-2 hrs. depending on your tools and skill. Remove the fairing face, the fairing cap and the turn/driving light bar. Remove the two bolts for that side of the radio, two bolts for the inner fairing to bracket and take the clutch cable off at the lever perch. Wiggle the old bracket up and out. While your in there find the temp sensor and lengthen the wires and move it down as low as you can get it on the new bracket your installing(I drilled a hole for it to mount so it sits behind the lower trim piece below the fairing face) this keeps it in the air flow and not up in the stagnant air that's heated up by the headlight and radio. Mine's accurate within a couple degrees now.

Brackets are about $50 for the mains and $15 for the speaker supports, while your in there you might as well replace them all with the new and improved.
+1. It's possible both sides are already broken. Won't know until you open it up. I'd leave any that aren't broke. No since disconnecting crap you don't need too.

Kimber

Old 09-20-2010, 12:30 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

I did both speaker supports when the one broke. Fairing's off and the left one is the one that's broken.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
I did both speaker supports when the one broke. Fairing's off and the left one is the one that's broken.
Too many high speed passes in IA/WI prolly led to it's demise.....

Old 09-20-2010, 12:44 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

I believe Rebecca is filling in for Jenni.
In stock, ships today, be here tomorrow.