Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Wheels & Tires
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 07-22-2007, 01:47 PM
pairofnines

Elite 3's

03' Ultra:

Currently running Dunlop MT90B16 front and MT90B16 rear>

I am considering changing to the Elite 3's> the web site shows they make the same size for the 03' but I am wanting to use a MU90B16 on the rear as shown for the 04' and newer. I know the drive belt is wider on the 03' than the 04' and newer. I have been told you can trim the belt guard and use the larger tire with out problems.

Some say you can; some say you can't-----my question is:

Is anyone here doing so and what can you tell me about any modifications or changes that are necessary to allow the use of the larger tire.

Thanks for your response:
Old 07-22-2007, 01:51 PM
8-Ball

This should help you...

http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4066
Old 07-22-2007, 04:35 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by pairofnines View Post
03' Ultra:

I am considering changing to the Elite 3's> the web site shows they make the same size for the 03' but I am wanting to use a MU90B16 on the rear as shown for the 04' and newer. I know the drive belt is wider on the 03' than the 04' and newer. I have been told you can trim the belt guard and use the larger tire with out problems.

Some say you can; some say you can't-----my question is:

Is anyone here doing so and what can you tell me about any modifications or changes that are necessary to allow the use of the larger tire.

Thanks for your response:
isn't that a MU85B16?
i have heard that you need a special spacer, but some have just taken off the plastic belt guard. if you go to the 04 setup, with the narrow belt, a 150/80-16 will fit, but you have to check the load rating of the different brands, avon is ok, metzler is not(with that size)

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 07-22-2007, 04:55 PM
pairofnines

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul View Post
isn't that a MU85B16?
i have heard that you need a special spacer, but some have just taken off the plastic belt guard. if you go to the 04 setup, with the narrow belt, a 150/80-16 will fit, but you have to check the load rating of the different brands, avon is ok, metzler is not(with that size)
Paul:

Dunlop list an Elite 3 MU90B16 on their web site that I am looking at>

see section for Elite 3 Touring Rear

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...tire.asp?id=86
Old 07-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Pof9,
I have the stock MT90B16 E3 on the back of my "99. It is tight.
I started with stock to verify the fit before I went to a wider tire. I will have to go out and do some measuring for you to see if the wider one would fit on my bike. Not sure if we are the same since mine is a "99 and yours is an "03, but the stock tire was a MT not an MU.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
One more thing
An MT is a 130 and an MU is a 140 rear tire.
Going from a 130 to a 140 requires .25 inches on each side of a 130 for the 140 to fit.
Take a look at how the MT size D402 looks now on the bike.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:19 PM
pairofnines

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
Pof9,
but the stock tire was a MT not an MU.
Quote:
03' Ultra:

They used the MT through 03' changed to MU in 04' if I recall correctly>
Old 07-22-2007, 06:31 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

genoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sock
Tread pattern on the Elites looks good. Similar to the Avon, but with out the long "slick" sections that freaked you out on my tires.

You know what I did to get the 150 on the back of the 03 and I think you and I will be sporting the same E III 140 rear by GazintApalooza 08.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:45 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Paul:

Dunlop list an Elite 3 MU90B16 on their web site that I am looking at>

see section for Elite 3 Touring Rear

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...tire.asp?id=86
you are right. these must be somewhat new, last year i googled that size and came up with nothing. a mu90b16 would be a little taller tire. good luck

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!