Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > The Arsenal
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

The Arsenal Where firearms enthusiasts gather to discuss their passion for things that go bang. Political debate is one floor down and not welcome here.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:49 PM
RedBeard

Best big-bore concealed carry piece

Talk about something that's subjective!

Well, might as well ask. What's the best concealed carry big bore (.44 and up) and why?

Kimber Ultra? Springfield's .45 GAP mini?

All I know for sure is that it ain't my 4.5 pound/9"barrelled/55gr/.454 ball Walker.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:11 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Officer sized, alloy framed .45 acp.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
I agree with Mega, but I carry and Ultra, being short and all.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Hangaround

16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Glock 30 is 45 ACP.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:05 AM
RedBeard

I'm a 1911A1 guy from way back, so I tend to look for a similar design in a compact. The Springfield looks nice, but it's in .45GAP, not .45ACP. The Kimber Ultra is the other .45ACP I like the look of.

Still, I don't want to pass up any reasonable possibilities. I'm assuming that any .44 or .45 revolver would have way too much bulk with that fat cylinder, and those little toy derringers and stamped steel single-shot things are out, so I'm back to semi-autos, smallest possible with a magazine that holds a few rounds.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Anything else is a copy

Harris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
For today my answer is the Colt Officer's Model, or the Defender.

If Springfield makes their XD sub-compact in .45 ACP (rumor has it they're headed that way), that would be smaller, lighter, and have a higher magazine capacity. Right now the XD-45 Compact would sure be in the running. It's got a 10 round magazine for concealed carry, and a thirteen round (with a grip extension) for service.

Harris

"So I just switched the heads"
Old 04-11-2007, 04:18 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Well, specifically, mine is the Kimber Custom Combat, or Combat Custom, or something like that from their custom shop a few years back.
4" bbl, Officer's size alloy frame, dehorned, tritium sights, etc.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Blower of Fire
Double-D

trackstar55 is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withtrackstar55 is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withtrackstar55 is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withtrackstar55 is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withtrackstar55 is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withtrackstar55 is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withtrackstar55 is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withtrackstar55 is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withtrackstar55 is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withtrackstar55 is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withtrackstar55 is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I prefer a nice single stack compact 1911 in .45acp. Kimber makes an nice Ultra RCP II, but the sights are a little difficult to get used to. Here is the link

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols...p/ultrarcp.php

If you want to go the revolver route, Smith and Wesson also makes a 3" .45acp. Here is the link.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

I have personally carried a Kimber Pro Carry HD II for two years and find it very comfortable. It is a 4" .45acp.

The Glock 30 or Glock 36 are other options. I would prefer the 30 before the 36.

Long live Chief Illiniwek, I will miss you my friend. You have been nothing but honorable. You are another victim of political correcetness out of control.

http://www.chiefilliniwek.org/
Old 04-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
If S&W, Glock and Sig are first tier, then it's second tier -- but if you want some horsepower to pack for self defense and that you'll actually shoot on occasion, you might take a look at the Charter Arms .44 Bulldog. It's been around a long time, is simple, made in USA and was designed to do exactly what I described.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Glücklich Doof

Last Cigar Smoked: CAO MX2
Gunfixer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGunfixer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGunfixer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGunfixer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGunfixer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGunfixer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGunfixer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGunfixer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGunfixer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGunfixer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGunfixer is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I've carried a full size gov't model in a Milt Sparks Summer Special inside the waistband holster for years. As long as you have a little meat on your bones it hides just fine under a loose T-shirt. The extra barrel length makes hits a lot easier under stress.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Anything else is a copy

Harris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarris is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I just got a nice snub-nose revolver. The Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull/.45 colt. The cylinder is off to the pistolsmith right now so I will also be able to fire .45 ACP's using moon clips. Should be a nice ankle gun, plus the .454 Casull cartridges look like AA batteries.

Harris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redhawk.jpg (10.4 KB, 50 views)

"So I just switched the heads"
Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Ankle gun?
Maybe if you have ankles like Tipper Gore and wear bell bottoms...

Old 05-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Ankle gun?
Maybe if you have ankles like Tipper Gore and wear bell bottoms...

I still like the 45 acp 1911 as the best big bore carry gun that is thin and easy to conceal. I put slim grips on mine and the thickest part of the gun is where the safety is. It disappears with a baggy t-shirt or any loose button down casual shirt. I have the Ultra, but with any 3" 1911, Kimber, Springfield or whoever, you take your chances on how well it will work. Once you get one reliable, they are one sweet shooter. The 4" or 4 1/4 inch barrel guns tend to be more reliable out of the box.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:10 AM
GrayRider

I've got a S&W CS40...but I really like the Sig P232.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 AM
RedBeard

Harris, how does that Ruger handle with the .454s in it? Wrist-buster?

The extra thickness of that big cylinder might be a problem for concealed carry, but I don't know. Worth a look, and so is the .44 Bulldog, even though I started out thinking semi-auto only.