Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Winter storage???

I plan on putting the scoots in an enclosed trailer for the winter.

I'm thinking of putting a cover on each of them, and putting a "Golden Rod" under the cover as well as a battery tender on each of them.

Any other considerations?

OTHER than the living room?

I usually leave them in the garage, but trying to free up some space this year.
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Resident Tough Guy
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: New World by AJ Fernandez
Rock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygiene
If on cement try to get some old rugs to throw under the tires. That's what I did when I was in those conditions. No dry rot issues at all. Also anything you can throw in the trailer that would absorb moisture would be a plus. Great idea on the battery tenders.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:06 PM
The Molenator

CDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
After a thorough cleaning and storage maintenance, I stick mine on the lift and push it into the corner of the garage or workshop. Then attach a battery tender and slap a cover on it...this year it'll be in the garage.

Clint
Bikeless

I'm a Doof, and Damn Proud of it!

Old 11-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Old married man

vindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographic
Fuel stabilizer.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 FLHTCU
Old 11-09-2007, 11:26 PM
The Molenator

CDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
yep, that is a must...especially with our long northern michigan winters

Clint
Bikeless

I'm a Doof, and Damn Proud of it!

Old 11-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I put baggies and rubber bands over exhaust, so nothing makes a home in there.
I have never used a tender, just put batteryin basement or under kitchen sink. Last one went 6 years, one before 4 and still going.

I bring my seat in, so it doesn't crack or get chewed on, but I got seats hanging on my wall for years.

DO NOT START IT

I have been jacking it up, but now I ony got one jack.

Manual says to change oil before storage, this is in case oil is acidic or got crap in it. I never have, cause I never know when last ride is.

I don't winterize untl I am well past the point of riding.

I have put mothballs in battery box, cause I have had critters make a home under seat.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Resident Tough Guy
Double-D

Rock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygiene
Berserker,
I think you just need to clean out your garage man. What's up with all the critters?

Old 11-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
If you had your choise, wouldn't you winter in a Harley?
Actually the garage I have now is pretty good. I have mice and snakes in basement, but have not seen anything in garage.

I have found bigger turds in basement. But I have never seen anything around the house, other then deer and the neighbors dog.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Jams

Tires and wheel bearings will develop flat spots if parked with weight on them for too long, so having it on a lift or blocks helps.

If you can run a cord out to the enclosed trailer for a light, the heat off a single light bulb may help keep rubber parts from developing cracks.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Magyarorszag

475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I dont do nothin just park it Its only 3 or 4 months just fire it up every 2 weeks or so geez

of course I do have a heated attched garage

Iam waiting Stan
Old 11-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Resident Tough Guy
Double-D

You already know this. You shouldn't just "start" the bike unless you're gonna let it cycle to get up to normal operating temp. Could start condensation forming within your oil. But you knew this already and you're just trying to get a rise out of me. No cigar on this one.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Excommunicated

I don't worry about dry rot on my tires, they don't stay on the bike long.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:34 PM
???

msocko3 has failed to amuse us
I change all my fluids, wash and wax. Then tuck it away in a heated garage with a battery tender and a nice soft California Car cover brand cover on it.

06 Ultra Powered by 120" Head-Quarters

2012 GL1800 Hannigan
Old 11-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I don't worry about dry rot on my tires, they don't stay on the bike long.
I am talking about other rubber parts like fork seals, bushings etc.
If you can avoid storing a bike in the deep freezer with a little heat you will be better off.
I keep a electric ceiling heater in my garage set at 40 degrees just to keep stuff like rattle cans of paint, cleaning products and crap like that I got tired of buying new every spring because it all froze in the garage.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:51 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
What is this "winter" you speak of?

Joe

Separated at birth? You decide