Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 06-22-2007, 06:27 PM
8-Ball

Primary chain adjustment question...

I tried to do the LittleBear touchy feely method and if I had to guess I'd say it was too loose, but in checking it at 90º turns of the wheel at 8 positions, it ran from 5/8" to 7/8" on a cold engine.

I took the plugs out of the engine (well, they were already out) and turned the rear wheel. One plunge of the cylinders equaled one 90º turn of the wheel.

The nylon tensioning plate that the chain runs over has started to get some grooves on it. I imagine that this is okay to a point. I wouldn't say they are more than 1/16" deep.

Also, does it matter what gear you are in while measuring the chain? It was easier to spin the wheel in fifth, but I had to move the heel shifter up to get a measurement, which put me back in fourth or the place between 4th and 5th. At any rate, I measured each of the 8 positions with it in this location.

Note: '05 RK Custom
Old 06-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Clubhouse Electrician

Q-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I got the tool from the dude across town. Made it very easy.

LB said watch not to git it too tight. Apparently NOT good.
He said it would start to whine.

And not the "I want to go to The Islands..." whine one might here from a needy OL.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:36 PM
8-Ball

I have the nifty tool... and it is way easy...

Who are you stranger?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Just plain Doof

rk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suck
a little loose to a point is much better than a little tight. for your bearing sake

Psalm 23:4 and the Second Amendment are enough for me.

If you have issue with anything in this post. You can address this by opening a dos prompt and typing
cd C:/
and then type
format C:

What you looking for?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:09 PM
The Molenator

CDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Who are you stranger?

Poor Dave

Clint
Bikeless

I'm a Doof, and Damn Proud of it!

Old 06-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Mike,

Every time I adjust mine, there is only one groove that works. One tighter and it's too tight, one looser and it's too loose. I quit trying to measure and go with the touchy feely.....
Old 06-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
8-Ball, you are good. When that sucker gets hot it will be in the 3/8 to 5/8 range like it is suppose to be when hot. Up one notch would make it too tight. You have 5/8, which is the min when cold, at the tightest point. Button it up man.

And the gear does not matter. It is just easier to turn the engine over in 5th. Dropping back to 4th during the measurement means nothing.

And you should do as I do, check it every 5k when you change your oil. Chances are once the initial stretch is over, you will only have to adjust it every 15k.

And one last thing, your shoe, unlike your boots, is good. Wear groves are normal.

Last edited by LittleBear; 06-22-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:04 PM
8-Ball

Thanks... got that done...!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dog View Post
I got the tool from the dude across town. Made it very easy.

LB said watch not to git it too tight. Apparently NOT good.
He said it would start to whine.

And not the "I want to go to The Islands..." whine one might here from a needy OL.

Tool? What tool? I just finished doing mine. Nice and quiet. It had gotten pretty loose. Next 5000 miles will be it on this chain, I think. Or then again I may trade on that '08. I can't wait until July 9th when we find out the new offerings. I don't know why, but for some reason, I think they're coming out with a bike just for me. Never felt that way before.

Highmiles

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 06-30-2007, 07:54 AM
R.I.P.
<--- Captain Itch!

Red Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Mike,

Every time I adjust mine, there is only one groove that works. One tighter and it's too tight, one looser and it's too loose. I quit trying to measure and go with the touchy feely.....
You know, I keep looking at that slide and shoe and I bet I can come up with a better arrangement for cahin tensioning. It's easier to take the whole darn primary cover off than to try to manipulate that apparatus through the tiny little inspection cover. I'm gonna work on it in my shop.

'Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.' - William Penn

I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love.
'06' FLSTNI, $43 per gallon!