Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Let Us Know About Upcoming Rides and Events > Southwest
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Southwest Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas

Old 05-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Swiss Guard

phreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suck
I wanted to go there 2 years ago. Almost phorgot about it.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:43 PM
BigAlsRK

Oh boy this is going to be fun....just sayin
Old 05-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak View Post
I wanted to go there 2 years ago. Almost phorgot about it.
And now you'll get your chance my phriend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsRK View Post
Oh boy this is going to be fun....just sayin
Oh yeah!! After this weekend, I am rested up and ready for another adventure!

Old 05-11-2008, 06:48 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
True, but some of us have been too lazy to get one (cough..me)
Do you know if a passport is required to go across the ferry you mentioned? Didn't know if you could ride across and just stay on it for the ride back without need for border hassles?
Not sure about that, Billy. That hand drawn ferry is a small one. It holds three cars max plus walkons. I do know that its a dirt road on the Mexican side. Probably not a good place to cross. Here's what the ferry looks like.

This website says that there is a customs checkpoint around four miles south of the ferry landing.

http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Lo...anos_Texas.htm

Old 05-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
It would probably work about as good as the one I don't have

We can keep our focus on the US side of the border for now, think there is a town named Pharr, TX along the route that might be of interest to you
How pharr is it?

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

genoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero No Mas View Post
How pharr is it?
Pharr ain't far at all from McAllen.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
Not sure about that, Billy. That hand drawn ferry is a small one. It holds three cars max plus walkons. I do know that its a dirt road on the Mexican side. Probably not a good place to cross. Here's what the ferry looks like.

This website says that there is a customs checkpoint around four miles south of the ferry landing.
Sounds like it is still on the US side of the border then. Will do a little checking, might be able to get off on the other side and hang out for a few minutes until coming back over. Thanks for the tip on this place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero No Mas View Post
How pharr is it?
From Dinero, it's about 155 miles. It's less than 5 miles to McAllen

Old 05-11-2008, 09:06 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

genoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sockgenoway doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
From Dinero, it's about 155 miles. It's less than 5 miles to McAllen
I thought the city limit sign between them was shared. You know like a millimeter apart! You must be talking post office to post office.

BTW, downtown McAllen is just like being in Mexico. Only you can drink the water!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:18 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Sounds like it is still on the US side of the border then. Will do a little checking, might be able to get off on the other side and hang out for a few minutes until coming back over. Thanks for the tip on this place!

No, the US/Mexico border in Texas IS the Rio Grande River. The ferry crosses that. Anything south of the Rio Grande IS Mexico.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:22 PM
El Errante

Billy, y'all ought to go into Port Isabel and South Padre Island...

Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Save that for SPI Bilkefest.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
No, the US/Mexico border in Texas IS the Rio Grande River. The ferry crosses that. Anything south of the Rio Grande IS Mexico.
Yeah, that is true. Doesn't make much sense to have a customs checkpoint 4 miles away from the border. I'm going to call the Chamber of Commerce down there and get some more information on what, if any, ID is required to get on the ferry. Really hoping we get to check that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoway View Post
Save that for SPI Bilkefest.
Probably will wait until SPI Bikefest to hit those areas. Been there a few times but have never been to McAllen, Dinero or Pharr!

Old 05-11-2008, 10:04 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Quote:
Yeah, that is true. Doesn't make much sense to have a customs checkpoint 4 miles away from the border. I'm going to call the Chamber of Commerce down there and get some more information on what, if any, ID is required to get on the ferry. Really hoping we get to check that out

Probably will wait until SPI Bikefest to hit those areas. Been there a few times but have never been to McAllen, Dinero or Pharr!
Uh, I know you chose dOOf, but Dinero is nearer where you live.

I have loved McAllen since I was a boy, Yes, before you were even born!

I used to spend summer vactions down there riding, my pony that is. Get up in the morning, eat breakfast, saddle my pony and come back at dusk for dinner. Sometimes at lunch, if I wasn't wanting to just eat all the fruit that was everywhere for lunch.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoway View Post
Uh, I know you chose dOOf, but Dinero is nearer where you live.

I have loved McAllen since I was a boy, Yes, before you were even born!

I used to spend summer vactions down there riding, my pony that is. Get up in the morning, eat breakfast, saddle my pony and come back at dusk for dinner. Sometimes at lunch, if I wasn't wanting to just eat all the fruit that was everywhere for lunch.
I should have said that we wouldn't have many chances to hit Dinero and Pharr in the same day Sounds like good memories from your childhood! Have been to Brownsville and Harlingen a few times but not to McAllen.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

I just got off of the phone with the Border Patrol office in Los Ebanos. The ferry is closed until at least 5/26 due to high waters. The agent I spoke with told me that we could still see the ferry and ride up to it but no rides for now.

He also clarified that while their physical checkpoint is a few miles into Mexico, that they have agents on the other side of the ferry and you have to have a passport or DL/Birth Certificate combo to get back on for the return trip to the US.

For a place to stay Saturday night, there is a brand new Motel 6 in Mission that looks good. We can get rooms there for $44.99, it has a pool, WiFi and free coffee in the morning. I'm going to make a reservation there this morning. Here's the contact info

Motel 6 Mission, TX #4306
1813 E Expressway 83
US-83 at Sharyland Rd/FM-494 exit
Mission, TX, 78572
Phone: (956) 581-1919