Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > Riding Stories and Adventures > Back In The Day!
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Back In The Day! Here's where the stories emit from the gasoline fumed memories of the old timers

Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
One of my more memorable trips.

Back in the 80's, when Ron Reagan was the Commander in Chief, and the cold war was nearing the end, I was still in the Navy.

At the time, I was flying colors, and riding a rather tasty rigid framed Triumph, stripped down, and fast as all get out (this was long before the chopper revival we enjoy today)
The bike was 750, bored out, hot cams, 2 into 1 pipe, belt primary, electronic ignition, 5 speed tranny, geared tall, you get the picture.(I was, and still am, a RABID gearhead)

I was on my way to my last duty station, in South Carolina, and was due to muster out in about 4 or 5 months.
I was stationed briefly in Connecticut, and had about a week to get down to Carolina, so I put some of my stuff in storage, packed the rest of the gear I needed, and got ready to go.
I had a VERY full seabag (about 120 lbs), saddlebags stuffed to the gills, a tankbag, and my bedroll was strapped to the front of the bike, so at a guess, I'd have to say about 250 lbs (or more) of stuff.
There was a nice cozy slot, in between all of that stuff, for me, and not much room for anything else.

The day I left, (early in the 4th week of January, as I recall, I was due in Carolina February 4th or 5th, I think) there was about 2" of snow on the ground, and it was snowing pretty hard and steady, but hey, I was still young and invincible, so off I went, at about 10AM. I took I-95 down through CT, and part of NY state, picked up the Sawmill Parkway, then headed for RTE#13 and #17, to make my way south, battling snow, freezing rain, and idiot drivers all the way into Delaware.

Long about 1:30 in the morning, I'd had enough, and needed to find a place to thaw and dry out, found a motel, (looked like a little Mom and Pop outfit) just off the road, and when I walked in, the night clerk, who turned out to be the owner, Asked me if I was out of my mind.
I replied, "No sir, just heading to my next duty station, and that bike is my only mode of transportation right now".
He asked me what Branch of the service I was in, and I replied, "U.S. Navy, sir."
His kind reply was "Then you ain't payin' for this room, son, its on me".
"You go on in that room, and turn the heater all the way up, put your riding gear on it, and it'll be dry by morning".
Then, much to my surprise, he added " We'll put your bike in our garage, and it'll be thawed out by morning too, 'cause its heated".
I gotta tell you folks, right then, I thought this guy was the second coming, 'cause just about all I held dear, was that scooter, and the stuff she was packed up with.

Well, We locked up the bike, he gave me the room key, and I took a long hot bath, and did just what he told me to, and put all of my soaking wet gear on the heater, with the bath mat under it to catch all of the water running off of it. Man, I was absolutely soaked to the bone!

The next day, when I went to check out, the gentleman asked how I'd fared the night before, and I told him that I'd done just as he'd told me to, and I was toasty, and my gear was all dry, thank you very much!

He told me about a little diner, about 6 blocks down the street, and after I thanked him, and shook his hand, off I went to grab some breakfast.

Unbeknownst to me, that gentleman called ahead to the diner, and let them know a serviceman was on the way, and they would not let me pay for my breakfast!!!!!
Now bear in mind, this was in the 80's, and folks in the service were not all that popular back then, especially ones flying a patch, and riding a chopper! Imagine my surprise!

Well, the day was clear, and cold, no rain or snow, and down the road I went. I stuck to routes #13 and #17, all the way through, and still remember how pretty, and interesting all those little towns down those 2 lanes were.

The further south I went, the warmer it got (funny how that works), and the next day, I had arrived at my duty station, only to find out that I had a new set of orders waiting for me to go to Little Creek Virginia in 5 weeks!

So I checked in, they gave me a 2 man room in the barracks, and I was the only one in it! Ahh! sweet peace and quiet.

After I had checked in, I found that since I was going to Little Creek so soon, All I had to do was muster at 8:00 am Quarters, daily, and I was free for the rest of the day!! WOO HOO!!!

I got to travel on day trips all over the area, see the sights, meet some new folks, and just generally enjoy the living daylights out of myself.
As I was born in Charleston S.C. Navy Hospital, I got to visit the place of my birth, and explore my Mom and Dad's old stomping grounds.
While I was there I must have put a good 2000 miles on that good old scooter, just bombing around.

Man what a great time, and such good memories.

I'll tell you about the trip to Little Creek some other time, 'cause that was a helluva trip too................................

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 12-30-2009, 05:43 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Cool story!

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:46 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Very cool story. . . thanks for sharing it!

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thank you Mr. Mega, and Ms. T. I hope to share many more with you folks, in person, funds permitting, just as soon as I can.
I feel very fortunate to have done a good bit of riding in my day, and have a few good tales as a result.

just a big ol' Doof.....
Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidglide View Post
Thank you Mr. Mega, and Ms. T. I hope to share many more with you folks, in person, funds permitting, just as soon as I can.
I feel very fortunate to have done a good bit of riding in my day, and have a few good tales as a result.
I love those old war stories from old bikers. . .

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Great story, I enjoyed reading very much. Thanks for sharing.
Now go wash my bike.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 12-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Double-D

huckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suck
great story!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cheese View Post
Great story, I enjoyed reading very much. Thanks for sharing.
Now go wash my bike.
Yessir Mr. Cheese.
(now where did that bottle of Knob Creek, the Spam, and Lays chips get off to)............................................... ....

just a big ol' Doof.....
Old 12-30-2009, 06:04 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidglide View Post
Yessir Mr. Cheese.
(now where did that bottle of Knob Creek, the Spam, and Lays chips get off to)............................................... ....
Reckon you'll make it to ES this year?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Reckon you'll make it to ES this year?
Boy howdy, I'd sure like to, but being that I am presently (ahem) without gainful employ (read jobless bum, and getting unemployment)
that remains to be seen, thus my distinct lack of reservations to aforementioned shindig.
And an almost new bike to ride, and little or no money, to go on trips, is freakin' killin' me!!!!!

just a big ol' Doof.....
Old 12-30-2009, 07:09 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

I'm sure somebody else will be lookin' for a roommate...

Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
Great story, I hope you are able to make it to ES this year so I can hear another, live and in person.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Outstanding. Thank you for your service.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Great post, thanks for the memory

Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 AM
natural-born world-shaker

Location: Mobile literally and figuratively, Alabama; working in Shanghai and Germany
Last Cigar Smoked: tobacco
thedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
very cool