Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:42 PM
pairofnines

Mike:

Point 1>

Don't order parts until I find out if it all works>

No need for two genie pigs to squander their money>

Point z>

Lyndall site does not list 08' z+ pads> I'll call and ask

Point last>

Based on your DOT information do you think DOT 5 is ok to use>(wheeeereeeeee is Joe-eyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee when you need him?)

Thanks for the assistance> When I started this thread no one but Berserker and Chief would talk to me>
Old 01-23-2008, 08:45 PM
pairofnines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
This a lot of work. I am gonna wait until after my next wreck.
Now now "wheel boy" don't get uppity on us>

After all this was your private thread a few days ago so you got a lot invested in it too>
Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 PM
8-Ball

I've read in several forums now that the front calipers and rotors are going to work. I think you are good to go there.

Nobody has mentioned switching over to DOT 5. I have read that the seals are designed for certain chemical characteristics and that is what has me concerned.

I don't see the DOT 5 working at this point. The DOT 5.1 seems like it would work, but you'd have to replace all your master cylinder and lines, which probably means controls as well. Hey man, I'm only smart enough to see potential problems... not smart enough to know if they actually are.... or what the solution is.

I saw a set of controls on eBay for $100... with master cylinder, but I'm not sure if you would need new switches. The switch covers were included, but not the switches themselves.

Did I mention that my bike is DOT 4 and none of this is a problem for me in any way...?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:52 PM
8-Ball

I hate to send you here, but it looks like they have the Lyndall pads in stock... which means Lyndall at least makes them...

http://www.cyclespot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12375
Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 PM
8-Ball

I read that these folks have them as well...

http://www.qtmi.com/
Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 PM
pairofnines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
I've read in several forums now that the front calipers and rotors are going to work. I think you are good to go there.

Nobody has mentioned switching over to DOT 5. I have read that the seals are designed for certain chemical characteristics and that is what has me concerned.

I don't see the DOT 5 working at this point. The DOT 5.1 seems like it would work, but you'd have to replace all your master cylinder and lines, which probably means controls as well. Hey man, I'm only smart enough to see potential problems... not smart enough to know if they actually are.... or what the solution is.

I saw a set of controls on eBay for $100... with master cylinder, but I'm not sure if you would need new switches. The switch covers were included, but not the switches themselves.

Did I mention that my bike is DOT 4 and none of this is a problem for me in any way...?
Kinda have to get this resolved before I stick DOT 5 in the calipers or I will be SOL>

Hate to go to DOT 4 if I don't have to> since the rear is DOT 5> I prefer both be the same>
Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Yes, they are Real.......

harleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by pairofnines View Post
Mike:

Point 1>

Don't order parts until I find out if it all works>

No need for two genie pigs to squander their money>

Point z>

Lyndall site does not list 08' z+ pads> I'll call and ask

Point last>

Based on your DOT information do you think DOT 5 is ok to use>(wheeeereeeeee is Joe-eyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee when you need him?)

Thanks for the assistance> When I started this thread no one but Berserker and Chief would talk to me>
What the hell do you think, i am on here all the time..............

Oh yea I guess I am.........

Anyway.......

With new calibres and drainin' the brake lines and takin' the master cyl off and gettin' all the fluid out of it.pump it.I don't see a problem...........

I'm not a Harley Tech....................

But I did stay at a Holliday Inn express last night...............

just sayin'.............You old Coot...........

Keeper Of The Toast
2006 Post Whore Of The Year

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS........
Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 PM
pairofnines

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjsb View Post
What the hell do you think, i am on here all the time..............

Oh yea I guess I am.........

Anyway.......

With new calibres and drainin' the brake lines and takin' the master cyl off and gettin' all the fluid out of it.pump it.I don't see a problem...........

I'm not a Harley Tech....................

But I did stay at a Holliday Inn express last night...............

just sayin'.............You old Coot...........
Don't see a problem with what>

I'm slow>

Can I use DOT 5>

1) Yes

2) No

Give it to me straight friend>
Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 PM
pairofnines

RH caliper and rotors are on back order>

Due for release on 2/17/08>

going to be a short delay in the conversion>
Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 PM
pairofnines

Additional info gleaned today>

08' front master cyl. p/n 44551-08 retail 140.95

08' stainless steel brake line kit p/n 44905-08 retail 129.95

08' OEM black brake line kit p/n 43350-08 retail 68.00

Visited with two different people in the service dept>

Neither could tell me how the 08' front master cyl. was different from the earlier models>

Question still remains as to whether I should use the 08' brake lines or the lines from the earlier models> routing is a little different on the two and I will not know if the diameter of the banjo bolts are the same until the calipers arrive>

Question still remains as to whether I should use the 08' master cyl. or the earlier model>

Unless someone can add additional information on this it may be one of those things that will remain unknown until the parts all arrive and the project starts>

The only down side is that the 08' parts are not in dealer stock so they would have to be ordered and I really hate to have the bike apart waiting on parts--which with my luck so far will be back ordered with delivery a month out>

I had hoped to have firm answers with parts on hand before starting the project>

Observations welcome>
Old 01-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
... and I really hate to have the bike apart waiting on parts--which with my luck so far will be back ordered with delivery a month out>

I had hoped to have firm answers with parts on hand before starting the project>

Observations welcome>
Get the parts up front.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 01-25-2008, 10:28 PM
pairofnines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
Get the parts up front.
Thats what I'm trying to do>

Question is------------------which ones???????????????????????????????

I assume you are still headless>
Old 01-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
I assume you are still headless>
That would be an accurate assumption.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 01-27-2008, 03:14 PM
pairofnines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Richard, great thread. I have had this modification on my mind since the HD/Brembos came out.

Then their is the issue of finding black braided lines... I like the black. No idea even where to start with this part.
Mike:

Ran across black braided lines during my quest for information>

Goodridge "Black Ebony"

They make both lines and fittings to match>

looks like several vendors have them according to google>

check them out and let us know what you think>

9's
Old 01-27-2008, 03:18 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
Additional info gleaned today>

08' front master cyl. p/n 44551-08 retail 140.95

08' stainless steel brake line kit p/n 44905-08 retail 129.95

08' OEM black brake line kit p/n 43350-08 retail 68.00

Visited with two different people in the service dept>

Neither could tell me how the 08' front master cyl. was different from the earlier models>

Question still remains as to whether I should use the 08' brake lines or the lines from the earlier models> routing is a little different on the two and I will not know if the diameter of the banjo bolts are the same until the calipers arrive>

Question still remains as to whether I should use the 08' master cyl. or the earlier model>

Unless someone can add additional information on this it may be one of those things that will remain unknown until the parts all arrive and the project starts>

The only down side is that the 08' parts are not in dealer stock so they would have to be ordered and I really hate to have the bike apart waiting on parts--which with my luck so far will be back ordered with delivery a month out>

Observations welcome>

All of the reading I've done indicates that all you need is the calipers and rotors... direct bolt on... and hook up to existing lines (DOT 5/DOT 4 issue remains).

Quote:
Mike:

Ran across black braided lines during my quest for information>

Goodridge "Black Ebony"

They make both lines and fittings to match>

looks like several vendors have them according to google>

check them out and let us know what you think>

9's
Thanks... !!! I'll let you know.