Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Captain Accuweather

Dogbreath1956 has failed to amuse us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Never done it. I do notice my 07 feels better. Even though I just changed the rear pads on the 01. The pedal and lever have to travel a bit before they get hard.

With the speed bleeder, you don't have to loosen it up? I remember right. Loosen bleeder, put hose on into fluid.

I bought mightvac pump recently, thinking this will work????
Got a mityvac. Need to make sure the hose seals around the stock bleeders, the hose flexes a little and can leak. Telfon sorta works, but comes with enough adapters thats it can be done. I found out that I need a second person to do the left front brake. I couldn't co-ordinate the suck and pour actions ( i. e. I had to be on my knee to operate the the pump but could not reach accross to see and pour in fluid. Rear brake was the easiest was able to do it withou help. was worth the money becasue I had 4 bikes (OK 3.25, one is a 50cc scooter.) But if all I had was one, then I might have just used a speed bleeder and a buddy.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 AM
really small memory

Ridgerunnur is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRidgerunnur is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRidgerunnur is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRidgerunnur is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRidgerunnur is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRidgerunnur is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRidgerunnur is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRidgerunnur is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRidgerunnur is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRidgerunnur is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRidgerunnur is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Thanks, 8

. . . for the good link. And to Mega for the reminder to get off me arse and do this.

Quarenta-tres . . .
Old 05-20-2008, 02:03 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath1956 View Post
Got a mityvac. Need to make sure the hose seals around the stock bleeders, the hose flexes a little and can leak. Telfon sorta works, but comes with enough adapters thats it can be done. I found out that I need a second person to do the left front brake. I couldn't co-ordinate the suck and pour actions ( i. e. I had to be on my knee to operate the the pump but could not reach accross to see and pour in fluid. Rear brake was the easiest was able to do it withou help. was worth the money becasue I had 4 bikes (OK 3.25, one is a 50cc scooter.) But if all I had was one, then I might have just used a speed bleeder and a buddy.
No buddy needed with the Speed Bleeder.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Good cause I got no friends.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:09 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Well, even if you did have friends, the chance of them not being complete dumbasses is slim.
With speed bleeders, you can just enjoy them for their Photoshopping prowess and not strain the ralationship with unrealistic expectations.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Captain Accuweather

Dogbreath1956 has failed to amuse us
if you don't have a buddy then who will tell you that it's greatest thing since sliced bread and youre a mechanical wizard? OL helped me and all I got was are you done yet? I think she's had practice at using that one.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:42 PM
8-Ball

One thing I've noticed about speedbleeders is that the first pump has to be a forceful one to get the check valve broken free.... then all is normal. If you don't break it free, the air bubbles will go right back in...
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
For the front brakes on my EG, the only way they will bleed is with gravity. If I try and pump bleed them, the level just gets softer and softer. Haven't figured that out, all I know is if I let gravity do it and just keep the master cylinder full. they will bleed just fine and the lever has great feel when I am done.

The back is a one man job anyway, so I see no reason for a speed bleeder.

9's info on DOT 4 and 5 is correct.

Just for reference, my "93 manual says to flush the brakes once a year. Never read my EG manual on it, but I do both bikes ever 2 years or sooner. Any longer than that and you are not properly maintaining your brake system IMHO. Both my bikes use DOT 5.

Two other differences between DOT 5 and DOT 4. You can not use DOT 5 with an ABS system. The boiling point of DOT 5 is higher and stays higher than DOT 4 since it does not absorb water. Water lowers the boiling point of brake fluid. The boiling point is important when going down Pikes Peak.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:46 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Installed my new speedbleeders over the weekend and purged the fluid on the rear, and just bled the front (I had already replaced the fluid before). Got the polished stainless steel ones that 8-Ball suggested.

Very fast, easy to use and a good thick boss for the bleeder wrench to bite on. Much longer hose adaptor for the latex drain hose to attach to. No mess. Excellent product!