Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Ask The Techs...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Ask The Techs... This is the way it works. Post up your question in the appropriate Forum, then put a link to it here. We'll ask some very savvy folks to monitor the posts here and answer your question. If you are a Tech answering a question, please do it in the linked thread rather than here. In this way, we can build info in the appropriate Forum. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Known Associate

flhpi-ohio has failed to amuse us
Hard hot starts

I have read about this somewhere and I need more info. I have a 02 FLHPI w/95in, 203 cams, 10:1 and compression releases. I bought the bike with this stuff already on it. It starts great when cold but if I am in hot weather and the bike is hot sometimes it is a pain to start. I always use my compression releases, in hot and cold weather. Sometimes it will catch and sometimes it will miss and buck and sound like crap. Thanks for any info.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Doofhead

Totenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographicTotenkopf is not in AOL's target demographic
Do you know what it was tuned with? Did it come with the SERT by any chance? Part of this sounds like the map is not set up quite right. Have you had the cold cranking pressure checked?

Have you tried the starter bump technique? Say a hot restart after refueling, main and run switch on but bump the starter button so the crank rotates maybe one turn or so, let it sit for just another 2 seconds then hit the starter. It should fire right off. Also, try using only one compression release on start up and have you been purging those releases every now and then to make sure they are working properly?

I run at 9.9:1 with a Andrews 37 and the hot start bump works for me and I've got no releases.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Technical Member

HDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHDMD 88 has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by flhpi-ohio View Post
I have read about this somewhere and I need more info. I have a 02 FLHPI w/95in, 203 cams, 10:1 and compression releases. I bought the bike with this stuff already on it. It starts great when cold but if I am in hot weather and the bike is hot sometimes it is a pain to start. I always use my compression releases, in hot and cold weather. Sometimes it will catch and sometimes it will miss and buck and sound like crap. Thanks for any info.
Usually, in the EFI bikes, it need more fuel when it won't start hot. The SERT has a Cranking Fuel table that you can add some fuel to in this situation.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Known Associate

flhpi-ohio has failed to amuse us
My bike has a race tuner on it. I cant find the post but I read somewhere about that hot start technique. I will try that. I dont think it is fuel issues because it is doesnt happen all the time. Sometimes after refueling it just starts right up and other times it has issues. About that technique, when my bike does fail to start correctly it sounds like it is getting beat to death after about the first rotation. I will crank the engine over then pause then hit it again. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.