Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Suspension
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Suspension Shocks, Forks, Front Ends, Stabilizers, etc...

Old 06-04-2007, 09:30 PM
8-Ball

The White Rhino in Review... (Progressive fork springs and 440 shocks)

I've had some time now to put some 2 up and solo miles on the 100% Progressive suspension (did it all myself I might add) and thought I'd put up some impressions.

After a Stage I upgrade or build of your choice, I'd recommend this as your second and as important performance upgrade.

Everytime Mary rides she mentions how she can't believe what a difference the shocks made in her riding comfort. She used to have to raise up when going over a bridge or road seam and now doesn't bother... we can't feel them. I used to get quite a jolt in the lower back... no longer an issue AT ALL.

While the 440s were a huge improvement in handling and comfort, the progressively wound front fork springs were a little more subtle. I've found that the tight mountain turns are much more navigable with less effort... seems like the bike wants to go into and follow the turn rather than forcing it into and through it. Another thing I notice is, in a wide sweeping turn that is also climbing, I don't get that slow steady front end bounce, yaw, warble... whatever you want to call it. It is now a fluid motion, bars steady and even while the tire and shocks are following the undulating and rising surface. I'm able to cut these turns with smooth, gliding precision now...

I can't wait to get back on it!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:20 AM
R.I.P.
just sayin'

racindude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withracindude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withracindude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withracindude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withracindude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withracindude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withracindude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withracindude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withracindude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withracindude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withracindude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Glad you're happy Mike, makes it even better when you do it yourself..........I'll have to keep that mod in mind further down the road.........

Help save a life, become a donor marrow.org

Old 06-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Tolling of the iron bell

jimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Good review. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:13 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Nice review Mike, now get out there and Ride!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
D.O.R.K.

rraymond has failed to amuse us
Hey Mike,
I noticed the same feel of the jolt when going over humps in the road until I got the Mustang seat. Although there was quite an improvement, I still think the stock RK Custom shock could use some more cush. What kind of seat do you have? I believe you also have a RK Custom? Was this mod expensive?
Rick

Rick..."Do it On a Road King"
Old 06-05-2007, 10:03 AM
8-Ball

I've got the Corbin Solo with the touring pillion... I couldn't ride 50 miles with the stock seat.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraymond View Post
Hey Mike,
I noticed the same feel of the jolt when going over humps in the road until I got the Mustang seat. Although there was quite an improvement, I still think the stock RK Custom shock could use some more cush. What kind of seat do you have? I believe you also have a RK Custom? Was this mod expensive?
Rick
What 8-Ball failed to say here, or I missed it, was he also put Progressive 440's on the back instead of the crappy H-D air shocks. That made the biggest difference in handling and ride.

Well, Sh1t, it is the title of the thread. My bad. Need more caffeine.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:49 AM
D.O.R.K.

Mike,
Did the 440's change the height of the bike. I know the Customs are lower than the other Road Kings and I like that. As long as the bike doesn't get any higher, I may consider the new shocks. Phat sells them for around $400, are there any additional parts needed? Do you have to be a pretty good wrencher (which I am not) to put them on?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 AM
8-Ball

Quote:
Mike,
Did the 440's change the height of the bike. I know the Customs are lower than the other Road Kings and I like that. As long as the bike doesn't get any higher, I may consider the new shocks. Phat sells them for around $400, are there any additional parts needed? Do you have to be a pretty good wrencher (which I am not) to put them on?
You can order them in the same length as your stock shocks. Mine is an RK Custom (12"). By changing the preload, you raise and lower the bike... adjusted all the way out, I'd say it is about the same as stock... maybe a touch lower.

The change out took all of 15 minutes. Put the bike on a lift or get the rear wheel off the ground. Undo the airlines (push in the red collars and pull the air line out of the four fittings), remove airlines from bike (they just slip out), remove one shock at a time (2 bolts) and replace with new shock, repeat other side), torque the bolts per manual specification. That is it.

Riding solo, I have the shocks adjusted all the way out... with Mary, 6 turns... I'll probably go 7 or 8 when we load up for Colorado.

I DO NOT MISS THAT STUPID PUMP!!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Tolling of the iron bell

jimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Must resist buying new rear shocks. Must resist urge.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:09 PM
GrayRider

I enjoy the jolts from the bumps in the road....keeps me awake.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:40 PM
D.O.R.K.

530 bucks for black chrome........ when's this spending going to stop???

Last edited by rraymond; 06-05-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
www.mawonline.com

You gotta know the progressive part number, but I paid $386.00 for my 440's about 6 months or so ago.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 06-05-2007, 02:14 PM
8-Ball

bumps disturb my fat...
Old 06-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Yes, they are Real.......

harleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
530 buck for black chrome........ when's this spending going to stop???
It never stops.......................

Keeper Of The Toast
2006 Post Whore Of The Year

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS........