Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > Random Crap
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Random Crap I'm just sayin'.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:12 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
I bought one of those package deals when I got my Nikon D-40. The tripod is pretty cheap, it works fine it's just a little unstable. The 2X and wide angle lens are cheap too. Check reviews on the Nikkor lenses. Many consider the Nikon lens top of the line.
To bad the 70-300mm isn't a VR (vibration reduction) lens, that makes a huge difference. Weird they didn't offer the 55-200mm. Kind of falls in line with the 18-55mm.

You're really paying for the camera body and lenses. Check what each lens is going for and add it up. The memory cards are a nice bonus.

Overall in the kit I bought I still use the camera, lens and memory card. My included camera bag fell apart.

Also I've shot 1000s of pictures and no problems at all.

My camera package isn't offered anymore but here is some good reading for you.

http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133569

Yeah, I brought that to Lee's attention about the 70-300mm lens not being a VR (Vibration Reduction) lens. That is an issue, if you are going to hold the camera and lens by hand. It could be shot on a tripod, though, when zoomed out.

Being that there were no brand names mentioned for the bag, tripod, 2X lens, and wide angle lens, they probably aren't that great.

And yes, what you are really paying for is the Nikon D90 camera body and the Nikkor lenses (18mm-55mm zoom, 70mm-300mm zoom, 50mm). None of these are VR lenses, though. Probably don't need it with the 18-55 or the 50, but you really need it most with the 70-300 because its so big and heavy, especially when zoomed all the way out to 300mm.

I think the biggest question in my mind is: is 18mm going to be wide angle enough for what Lee needs the camera most for (shooting inside and getting the entire room in the frame)? Obviously, it depends on the room's dimensions. I will try to dig up some information online about this that will give some definite answers.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:18 AM
captainlee

I found this, but it will have to be much later down the line

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._AT_X_116.html
Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 AM
The Molenator

CDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Just buy the body and the standard lenses...

here's the tripod I use...ball heads are the best IMO, I just wish it had a separate panning lock...oh well, still a great tripod.

Tiltall

Clint
Bikeless

I'm a Doof, and Damn Proud of it!

Old 11-29-2008, 10:26 AM
The Molenator

CDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Basic setup for that camera...

http://www.adorama.com/INKD90K.html

even better yet...
http://www.adorama.com/INKD90KA.html

Clint
Bikeless

Old 11-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Big Double-D

bigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suck
Lee hang on then...

If you need low light shots, these lenses may not be for you.. they are not "good glass" as we say. The wides angle in your package is the 18-55 and its only a 3.5, not that fast and without the VR/IS you cant really handhold at slower speeds. Let me check with my buddy, he has used shop in the area and I also have a friend working in the BH Photo used dept as well.

Just as an example the Canon body I use currently cost about 1100 and my lenses 1600.... I know thats pro level and not what you need but its the lenses that make the difference
Old 11-29-2008, 10:35 AM
The Molenator

What are your plans for this camera...hobby or professional...

Ever try an Olympus E-520? Vibration reduction is built into the body, not the lenses...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29941632

Clint
Bikeless

Old 11-29-2008, 10:36 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
All good advice here....

Old 11-29-2008, 10:44 AM
El Errante

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDouthitt View Post
What are your plans for this camera...hobby or professional...

Ever try an Olympus E-520? Vibration reduction is built into the body, not the lenses...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29941632
My understanding is that he does kitchen / bathroom and other types of interior remodels and wanted to be able to take pictures of his pre / post work and be able to fit the entire room into one frame. Thus the requirement for the wide angle lens. I just don't know if the 18mm will do it for him, though.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:46 AM
captainlee

I have already ordered it but I have til jan 31 09 to return it. It is still a damn good starting point for me and especially my pocket book. I can still build upon this set up over time and then have one hellava set up.

the lens that you speak of with the vr are way up there. So I will have to live and learn with what I ordered.

I think
Old 11-29-2008, 10:49 AM
The Molenator

Here's what I'd get...

E520 Body

14-54mm f/2.8-3.5

50-200mm f/2.8-3.5

or the inexpensive 50-150mm f4-5.6

Don't forget memory...8GB Extreme IV

Clint
Bikeless

Old 11-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Big Double-D

bigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suck
so not really low-light shots then in the way I see them... in a wedding hall, lights dimmed way down, people moving..

Im sure youll be more than happy with your purchase then and like we all agree you can always add. Any time you need, feel free to ask, there are great deals to be had in used as long as the condition is good

you better post up your results senor' when you start shooting
Old 11-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Big Double-D

Quote:
Im a Canon guy myself, but actually started with an Olympus OM10-FC and used it for many years.. this day and age, the top manufacturers all have great products
Old 11-29-2008, 11:17 AM
The Molenator

Yeah, you can't really go wrong with Canon, Nikon, or Olympus

Clint
Bikeless

Old 11-29-2008, 11:33 AM
El Errante

Quote:
Yeah, you can't really go wrong with Canon, Nikon, or Olympus
You're right, and all three do have great reputation. I am a Nikon bigot myself, though.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:46 AM
nhrafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
You're right, and all three do have great reputation. I am a Nikon bigot myself, though.
I agree with Thrasher, I have a D40 and the 70-300vr lens and it is a great set up, but I do have my eye on a couple more pieces of glass but i have to wait, the D90 is a great camera and add a 18-200vr it would be a awesome .