Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Book Reviews
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Book Reviews Read a good one..or bad one. Tell us about it here.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:25 AM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Leanings 2 by Peter Egan

Leanings 2 is a collection of magazine articles written for Cycle World by a neighbor of Dirty Dan and Wibiker. The author does a good job of describing the motorcycle “illness” in bathroom or before bedtime sized articles. While he spends most of the book talking about other types of motorcycles the “illness” is the same.
In one article he rationalizes riding 75 miles each way to obtain oil for his next oil change. In another he justifies purchasing a dirt bike and riding the length of Baja California because he may not be able to do that much longer. In another he describes his joy at finding a ***** Spree scooter at the dump and rebuilding it to run again. Yet another describes a road trip through Tennessee and Alabama in a quest to find the final resting place of Robert Johnson.
I found it an enjoyable book with plenty of chuckles and several laugh out loud moments. Every chapter reminded me of at least one person I know. I had Darlene read a couple of chapters to prove I wasn’t the only person that thought that way.

Engine by Otto.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Peter Egan is one of my all time heroes. I first "discovered" him when he wrote the best sports car stories ever written, for Car and Driver magazine. I followed him to Cycle World, and generally enjoy anything he has written.

I am envious of Dirty Dan and Wibiker, as I would love to meet him, and have a chance to talk to him.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 02-21-2009, 07:44 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
He's a neighbor but not a near neighbor. They're from Lacrosse and he's about halfway between Madison and Lacrosse. A lot of the roads he talked about when riding local were roads we were on at Cheeseapalooza.

Engine by Otto.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good read.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Doof Cadet

Last Cigar Smoked: don't smoke no friggin ceegars
knuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMiller View Post
Leanings 2 is a collection of magazine articles written for Cycle World by a neighbor of Dirty Dan and Wibiker. The author does a good job of describing the motorcycle “illness” in bathroom or before bedtime sized articles.

. Yet another describes a road trip through Tennessee and Alabama in a quest to find the final resting place of Robert Johnson.
I found it an enjoyable book with plenty of chuckles and several laugh out loud moments. Every chapter reminded me of at least one person I know. I had Darlene read a couple of chapters to prove I wasn’t the only person that thought that way.
Excuse my ignorance. Who was/is Robert Johnson?

Doofbag Fer EverI smell Fish
Old 02-21-2009, 09:42 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleheader View Post

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:54 PM
GazintA

Robert Johnson

Engine by Otto.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
I need to send you a couple of cds.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Doof Cadet

Last Cigar Smoked: don't smoke no friggin ceegars
knuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sock
Thanks Terry. I think we know more about Mars than

Robert Johnson.

Doofbag Fer EverI smell Fish
Old 02-21-2009, 11:42 PM
GazintA

Quote:
Thanks Terry. I think we know more about Mars than

Robert Johnson.
You're right about the details of his life. His musical recordings live on and he played a mean guitar. I'm no expert musician but I like listening to a bunch of musicians that call him a major influence.

Peter Egan also plays/collects guitars and likes the blues. The uncertainty surrounding Robert Johnson's life seemed like a good backdrop for a series of articles to him. The account of the ride was pretty well written. Half human interest and half riding related.

Engine by Otto.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:27 AM
Sloppy Notches

Pig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiles View Post
Peter Egan is one of my all time heroes. I first "discovered" him when he wrote the best sports car stories ever written, for Car and Driver magazine. I followed him to Cycle World, and generally enjoy anything he has written.

I am envious of Dirty Dan and Wibiker, as I would love to meet him, and have a chance to talk to him.
Gotta correct you, he writes for Road & Track, a sister publication of Cycle World.
There are two Leanings volumes, and he also has collected works of his Road & Track articles, entitled Side Glances. I would recommend both collections whether you are car or motorcycle oriented. I like to think of Peter as at least an acquaintance if not a friend, as I frequently see him at vintage sports car races. He is also an airplane and sailboat guy.
If you have not read his stuff, you really need to.
A favorite quote of his, which we used on one edition of our vintage race team t-shirts, was "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague longing for something salty." He autographed a bunch of them for us.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Egan writes a great column. I keep wondering when I'll bump into that guy around here. Bet he can tell a story.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig of Iron43 View Post
Gotta correct you, he writes for Road & Track, a sister publication of Cycle World.
There are two Leanings volumes, and he also has collected works of his Road & Track articles, entitled Side Glances. I would recommend both collections whether you are car or motorcycle oriented. I like to think of Peter as at least an acquaintance if not a friend, as I frequently see him at vintage sports car races. He is also an airplane and sailboat guy.
If you have not read his stuff, you really need to.
A favorite quote of his, which we used on one edition of our vintage race team t-shirts, was "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague longing for something salty." He autographed a bunch of them for us.
Yep, slip of the mind. I'm getting old.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?