Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > Random Crap
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Random Crap I'm just sayin'.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Helping with the B.S.

Ol Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Physics question

My wife and I ride our bicycles to the top of a local hill.
I have a bike with 26" tires
Her bike has 24" tires
I weigh 175 lbs
She weighs 120 lbs

We both start coasting down this hill at the same time.

Invariably my speedometer reads faster.

I would think it would be the other way around.

Master of Contemplation
Old 12-14-2019, 06:31 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
What's the +/- error percentage of the devices. Likely one or both are not quite calibrated. I agree, yours should show a slower speed, unless your way ahead of her at the bottom.

Kimber

Old 12-14-2019, 08:23 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Are you coasting side by side? Is one of you actually going faster or do you arrive at the same time?

The bike with the smaller tires will show faster because the smaller wheels turn more/faster than the larger wheels to cover the same distance of travel.

I'm assuming similar speedometers driven off of the tires.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 12-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Helping with the B.S.

Ol Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOl Mike has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
Are you coasting side by side? Is one of you actually going faster or do you arrive at the same time?

The bike with the smaller tires will show faster because the smaller wheels turn more/faster than the larger wheels to cover the same distance of travel.

I'm assuming similar speedometers driven off of the tires.
The speedometers are identical. I do tend to be pulling ahead of her bike around mid-hill. I believe weight and momentum might play a factor.

Master of Contemplation
Old 12-15-2019, 01:24 AM
Spyderman

fred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygiene
shouldn't the speedometer be calibrated for the different wheel size ? The RPMs would be different but the speed should be the same.
“We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: the only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield.”
—George Orwell, 1946

"The race may not always be to the swift nor the victory to the strong, but that's how you bet." - or - that's how the smart money bets...attributed to Damon Runyon
Old 12-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Helping with the B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1369 View Post
shouldn't the speedometer be calibrated for the different wheel size ? The RPMs would be different but the speed should be the same.
Good point !

Master of Contemplation
Old 12-15-2019, 09:34 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know

https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 12-15-2019, 11:34 PM
Spyderman

fred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygiene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
Why are all the tire dimensions needed when the only one that counts is the diameter (or radius)?
“We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: the only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield.”
—George Orwell, 1946

"The race may not always be to the swift nor the victory to the strong, but that's how you bet." - or - that's how the smart money bets...attributed to Damon Runyon
Old 12-16-2019, 09:22 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It's made for motor vehicles, so if you install wider and taller tires on your Hyundai beater you know how fast you were going when the local constabulary pulls you over for driving drunk.

What we need to know is how these speedometers measure the rotation, mechanical connection or magnetic sensor and is there a way to calibrate them to the wheel size.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 12-16-2019, 12:36 PM
Spyderman

sure, taller tires have a greater radius but why does width matter? (on tires)
—George Orwell, 1946

Old 12-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Helping with the B.S.

I get an electronic speed reading off a display screen [ electric motor assist bike ]

The reading seems to be taken off the pad of the disc brakes in front. Seems to read the rotations of the disc. [ same diameter on both bikes ]

Probably needs an adjustment calibration of the computer.

Master of Contemplation
Old 12-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Quote:
sure, taller tires have a greater radius but why does width matter? (on tires)

>>> Example: 225/60R16, The tire is 60% as tall (sidewall area) as the tread (footprint) is wide.

So if I was to replace the 255/70R18 tires on my SR5 Tundra with 275/70 R18 TRD tire size, my speed would be 2 1/4 MPH faster than the indicated speed of 65 MPH on the instrument cluster. Because the tire is taller and a larger rolling diameter. (did I do that right?I sux at any math.)

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 12-17-2019, 01:27 AM
Spyderman

so, apparently where I am going wrong is that the last numbers are the wheel radius and not the tire radius. But still, the aspect ratio doesn't influence the rpm. An 18 inch rim still travels father than a 16 inch rim no matter what the tire size is.
No, no, that is wrong. We need to be working with the radius of hub to road to calibrate a speedometer. The accuracy of a cam sensor is still dependent on tire size, then. Right?

PS: what oil do you use?
—George Orwell, 1946

Old 12-18-2019, 12:59 AM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
^THIS^

Any vehicle speedometer is calibrated to the size of the OEM wheel/tire it was produced/shipped with. Unless the OEM wheel/tire size have been changed both vehicles should read the same speed.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 12-19-2019, 06:33 PM
A Delinquent by Birth

SLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sock
I would use à travelling app on your phone to se thé actual speed thon Check each speedo. Speed us calculateur at 1.48 Ft à second. Si if you Knowl thé distance you can backdoor thé math un to se speed.