Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Remodeling or Building
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Remodeling or Building Got a project going or finished... Got a question...

Old 03-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Flooring delema

I have been trying to take up a patch of vinyl flooring. I can peel off the top layer of vinyl, but I have have been able to only get a modest amount of the paper layer up. I have scraped with a 5 in one, drywall knife that I sharpened, and a wall scraper. I have tried all these while it is dry, soaked with water and after I scored it. a small bit of it came up, but I still have what I feel is a tremendous amount to go, at this pace.
I have read that I must take this up, but I am very frustrated in this and am almost ready to just peel the rest of the vinyl off and thin-set over it. I was concerned that the water in the thin-set would lift the "paper" from the concrete, but after letting it soak for 24 hours under a wet towel and then having no better luck trying to scrape it off, I really don't think it will lift.
This is an area about 7 ft by 40 inches or so. Part of it will be under the vanity and storage cabinet. This is also where the door is and will be walked on.
I have the thin-set, Ditra and tiles, I want to get this done and have been really held up by this vinyl flooring problem. I figure that the biggest decision is whether the thin-set is gonna stick to the "paper" crap, I would think the Ditra would help to ease any concern I have about the tiles coming up.
Any suggestions? anyway to get around this mess? It is gonna be in the 40s/50s/ here this week, I need to get this done so I can go riding.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I have seen ride-on machines for removing this stuff from large areas--I assume someone makes a smaller version. I have a heavy scraper made for this--got it in the tile area of one of the toy stores.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 03-11-2008, 12:16 AM
8-Ball

I've got the scraper too... always gotten it up...

Stop by the vinyl flooring distributor in your area, pick up a scraper and some solvent...
Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Casaba

or maybe a belt sander?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:34 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Its going to make a hell of a mess either way. It sounds like they have it glued down all over (as opposed to just on the perimiter). I used a heavy floor scraper (which didn't do too great) and a 4" razor scraper (did the best). I got it up, but its some damned hard work, and a lot of it. Its just a PIA anyway you look at it...

The only thing thats messier is trying to demo out tile thats pretty well cured; I had to use an electric chipping hammer for that.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Double-D

JRFLHR has failed to amuse us
Sometimes the the sheet goods are put on quarter inch plywood.Go to a doorway and see if thats the case.If it is you should be able to take up the plywood a lot easier then the glued down stuff.Most people use air staplers to install the plywood and usually comes up easy.Renail the floor and glue and screw hardybacker before tile.
Joe
Old 03-11-2008, 08:06 AM
I Like Dirt...!

Last Cigar Smoked: BubbleGum
Xkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suck
how old is it...? abestos concerns...!

can you put the backer right over it...i think they make it in 5/16"...if the floors sturdy, 1/4" plywood backer(not luan) should work...

Some Mornings I Wake Up Grouchy.....others, I Let Her Sleep

Old 03-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFLHR View Post
Sometimes the the sheet goods are put on quarter inch plywood.Go to a doorway and see if thats the case.If it is you should be able to take up the plywood a lot easier then the glued down stuff.Most people use air staplers to install the plywood and usually comes up easy.Renail the floor and glue and screw hardybacker before tile.
Joe
If it's over luan and any other underlayment for that matter, this would be the way to go. Let us know what the substrate is. If concrete, razor scrappers are the way to go....get extra blades.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:54 AM
captainlee

yes you must get it all up !!!

heat will also help getting it up, it loosens the glue. ie heat gun or propane blow torch.

I went and bought this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37073

and modified it by putting a 4 iches wide scrapper blade on it. You will need a decent air compressor to run it
Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 AM
captainlee

this is a shot of us using it on a concrete ceiling scraping the coating off.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...ome-and-garden
Old 03-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I Like Dirt...!

Last Cigar Smoked: BubbleGum
Xkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainlee View Post
You will need a decent air compressor to run it

what air comp. are you using...?...says it needs 10 cfm...

Some Mornings I Wake Up Grouchy.....others, I Let Her Sleep

Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM
captainlee

This is the one we use the most. Works well.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...air+compressor
Old 03-11-2008, 10:33 AM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
Its going to make a hell of a mess either way. It sounds like they have it glued down all over (as opposed to just on the perimiter). I used a heavy floor scraper (which didn't do too great) and a 4" razor scraper (did the best). I got it up, but its some damned hard work, and a lot of it. Its just a PIA anyway you look at it...

The only thing thats messier is trying to demo out tile thats pretty well cured; I had to use an electric chipping hammer for that.
Any time you put vinyl flooring down, you must glue the whole thing. the areas that aren't glued will bubble and rip. If you want a smooth floor, you must glue the entire thing down to a smooth subfloor.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul View Post
Any time you put vinyl flooring down, you must glue the whole thing. the areas that aren't glued will bubble and rip. If you want a smooth floor, you must glue the entire thing down to a smooth subfloor.
Except for the perimeter glue down type.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I love this place.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto