Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 06:03 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Brake Fluids

What are the advantages of DOT 4 brake fluid over DOT 5?

I have an 2004 Road King that uses DOT 5. What was the reason they are using DOT 4 brake fluid now?

Old 03-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Dot 4 can be used with ABS, Dot 5 cannot.

I think when they started putting ABS on the cop bikes, they changed all bikes to Dot 4. Just a guess though.

I prefer Dot 5. Non corrosive to paint. Dot 4 will eat paint.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:37 PM
43rd Prophet

swmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suck
Do not mix the two...it will lead to brake failure!!! They react to each other and will gel if mixed!!! Even if you don't wreck it can be time consuming and costly to fix...make sure if you change completely flush out the other fluid.

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
~James Madison, speech, Virginia Convention, 1788

Old 03-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
If you have DOT 5 in your bike now, don't switch. The biggest advantage to DOT 5 is it doesn't absorb moisture like DOT 3 and 4 do.

LB has it right. The ABS systems can not use DOT 5. DOT 5 is sylicone based, and does not eat paint. DOT's 3 and 4 do eat paint. FAST! (Don't ask me how I know) Since the cop only bikes had ABS, it was no big deal to keep those with DOT 4. Once the ABS came out on the new baggers and the v-rods, it made sense economically to change the entire fleet back over to DOT 4.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 03-23-2008, 07:33 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Thanks for replies, guys. This is excellent information.

I knew better than to mix the two and about DOT 5 not eating paint, but I didn't know that the rationale for the change was for ABS brake systems. I also didn't know that DOT 5 didn't absorb moisture like DOT 4 and DOT 3.

I think I'll stick with the DOT 5 fluid.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
Thanks for replies, guys. This is excellent information.

I knew better than to mix the two and about DOT 5 not eating paint, but I didn't know that the rationale for the change was for ABS brake systems. I also didn't know that DOT 5 didn't absorb moisture like DOT 4 and DOT 3.

I think I'll stick with the DOT 5 fluid.
It does not absorb moisture like Dot 3 and Dot 4 so the water that gets into the system pools in one spot and can corrode the inside of the caliper. That is why it should be flushed with fresh every year or two depending on you millage.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:55 PM
El Errante

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
It does not absorb moisture like Dot 3 and Dot 4 so the water that gets into the system pools in one spot and can corrode the inside of the caliper. That is why it should be flushed with fresh every year or two depending on you millage.
Oh, okay... I understand.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:08 AM
R.I.P.
<--- Captain Itch!

Red Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
DOT 5 is sylicone based, and does not eat paint.
I can attest to this. I got DOT 5 all over my bike (and my garage) when I changed bars and tried to bleed the brakes alone.

'Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.' - William Penn

I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love.
'06' FLSTNI, $43 per gallon!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
dot 5 boiling point 550
dot 3 ( ) 287

each number is a higher boiling point and yes 5 is syn

Russ

doofs at the beach