Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Electrical Systems & Diagnostics
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Electrical Systems & Diagnostics Troubleshoot electrical problems here.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:13 AM
BigAlsRK

Front Main Connectors 2000 FXDL

How do I get to the front main connectors on a 2000 FXDL...I have the service manual. I am doing other work and have the tank removed and wanted to work on my turn signals/running lights wiring....can't seem to find out how to pull the the front connectors thru to get to them....do I need to open the rear access and pull the service loop????
Old 02-25-2007, 12:29 PM
The Molenator

CDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsFXDL View Post
...and pull the service loop????
Is that the same a pulling a Doof Loop...if so, I could probably name a few people that could help you out with this problem.

Clint
Bikeless

I'm a Doof, and Damn Proud of it!

Old 02-25-2007, 02:21 PM
BigAlsRK

Sigh.....should have known
Old 02-25-2007, 02:51 PM
pairofnines

I think the main wiring harness is routed through the frame backbone.

There should be enough slack to pull it out the front end of the backbone to allow access to the connectors.

check your service manual in the section on "main wiring harness" to see if this is correct as my info is in reference to a 99' FXDX but would think your 00' would be the same.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Yes, they are Real.......

harleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sock
can you post a picture of what you are trying to do?

Keeper Of The Toast
2006 Post Whore Of The Year

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS........
Old 02-25-2007, 03:44 PM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairofnines View Post
I think the main wiring harness is routed through the frame backbone.

There should be enough slack to pull it out the front end of the backbone to allow access to the connectors.

check your service manual in the section on "main wiring harness" to see if this is correct as my info is in reference to a 99' FXDX but would think your 00' would be the same.
Yep...that's what my manual says too.....but I am not feeling any slack at all so I can pull them thru the front of the backbone.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:29 PM
pairofnines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsFXDL View Post
Yep...that's what my manual says too.....but I am not feeling any slack at all so I can pull them thru the front of the backbone.
I think it has to come out the front because the connectors are towards the front of the harness and I don't believe there is any way you could pull them from the rear. With that said you may have to open the rear to get the service coil to unfold before you can pull the slack forward. The manual refers to it as a service loop I think. Mine came out enough to get to the plugs but it might have been opened up before as I bought the bike used.

Sorry I am not more helpful.

maybe a PM to our mentor at GMR would be in order.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Spit it out it ain't yers

KICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suck
It's wire tied below the battery near the rear fender.Once you cut the zip tie you can pull the harness through the backbone while pushing from the seat side.It's a lot easier if you have help.If you use a little wire lube or spray silicone lubricant it will make your life a whole lot easier(pretty tight squeeze).
F
F
B
Old 02-25-2007, 05:12 PM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetronix01 View Post
It's wire tied below the battery near the rear fender.Once you cut the zip tie you can pull the harness through the backbone while pushing from the seat side.It's a lot easier if you have help.If you use a little wire lube or spray silicone lubricant it will make your life a whole lot easier(pretty tight squeeze).
So....do nothing with the service loop...right?
Old 02-25-2007, 05:46 PM

KICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suckKICKER can happily embrace the suck
push it through the bottom of the backbone while you pull out the neck side.The connectors are in there a way,but they will come out.
F
F
B
Old 02-25-2007, 06:26 PM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetronix01 View Post
push it through the bottom of the backbone while you pull out the neck side.The connectors are in there a way,but they will come out.
Got it!!!!! Thanks................!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:30 PM

F
F
B
Old 02-25-2007, 09:08 PM
BigAlsRK

Pretty easy when someone tells you what to do!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!