Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > General Bike Discussions
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
sporty advice. shopping advice

A little background; my Son-in-Law

of whom I am very proud is currently deployed in the Hell-Hole that is Afghanistan. He's doing fine. My daughter is, as expected, none-too-thrilled but holding up well and she stays busy keeping up with the two grandbabies. She told me a few days ago that she was looking into the used crotch rocket market because he really wants a motorcycle and she would like to get one for him before he returns. Of course, I have lots of mixed feelings about this primarily because this would be his FIRST motorcycle. In talking to her further I was relieved to learn that he really would prefer a Harley(!) but it just wasn't in their budget while a used crotch rocket might be.
I immediately started telling her about the wonderful world of Sportster!
I need to get her pointed in the relatively safe(-r) direction of a Sporty as opposed to a crotch rocket so we started searching eBay, CL etc. She has become convinced after seeing the used prices that a Sporty is the way to go as well. I don't know enough about them and I'm turning to my Doofs and Zints to help me get a clue.
So heres the deal:
1.He's not a wrench; it'll have to be fairly new low-miles ride.
2.He would prefer a Superglide, but hes on a Sporty budget of less than 6500.
3. I don't want her to buy an 883 (my rule, not his or hers)
4. style-wise, he loves the Nightster and maybe the Custom. The "Low", mmmm not so much.

5. he can't handle red.

6. Yes, we've looked at older Big twins, but oddly, even if you're a wrench and willing to go play with shovels (as I might do), you STILL can't get all that cheap.

7. He will be doof material!
We've been seeing some pretty nice examples on the net, in fact found one in Houston that she was all set on, but the listing is gone, so probably, is the deal.
So what I'd like to know is what are the things to look for in a used sporty...years, models to avoid? certain years, versions better or worse?
are there noted issues with components? tranny trouble? engine trouble?
Brief me, please.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 02-16-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
'04 or newer.
That's all I know.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:27 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
XL 1200 but a little pricey or the Nightster

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
I had a 2000 XL1200 Sport and it was a great bike. I agree with you, no 883, stay with the 1200. The Evo engine in the Sportster is a strong, durable engine with few if any inherent problems that I'm aware off. My advice would be to stay with pre '07 models with a carb. While the newer rubber mounted engine does reduce vibration, I never found it to be that bad on my 2000. However, it does make for a little better riding experience and the rubber mounted engines became available in the 2004 model. Also in 2004, the 1200 Custom offered the new 4.5 gallon tank for longer rides between gas stops and had forward controls as well.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Last edited by Scabbydoo; 02-16-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Excommunicated

Fireberry is a rotten little girlFireberry is a rotten little girlFireberry is a rotten little girlFireberry is a rotten little girlFireberry is a rotten little girlFireberry is a rotten little girlFireberry is a rotten little girlFireberry is a rotten little girlFireberry is a rotten little girlFireberry is a rotten little girlFireberry is a rotten little girl
I took a 06 1200c in trade for a new Ram in Jan. Got a buy bid of 6k from Javelina where I sold Harleys for about 3 years. It had 6k on the clock and was pure stock. V/black and perfect. You are in Texas and I bet if they still have the bike I could get it for 6500 + T's. I will say this the budget might be 6500.00, but of the 1000's of bike and cars/trucks I have sold one of the things I have come to learn is, it is better to have a payment of 205.00 than 180.00 than it is to say " I wished I would have. " As you get closer to ' I am ready to buy' P/M me I will call my friends out there and see what they have. Might be able to get the FXD yet.

Red- please tell him to not buy color, but to get the most bike for his dollars.

Myself and my whole family give our thanks to him, and his family for his service.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
If you do see a good deal on 883, ask a local shop, who much to convert to 1200. I am guessing around $1k, but that is straigh out of my butt.
I have not ridden a sporty, but I do tend to agree with rubber mounted 2004+ are probably nice. But more money. People rode rigids for many years.

Last edited by Berserker; 02-16-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Here's a place with pretty good Sporty info.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/index.php

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 02-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
I'm 5'8" and the forward controls on mine are just barely in the comfort zone...could use to have them a few more inches out in front of me to be comfy. If you are taller, forget it, you start looking like a monkey on a football. The bigger tank on the custom is VERY nice. Easily has the distance that the bigger bikes do, even though I think those that I have ridden with have short changed themselves on gas stops when I''m along out of concern for my little bike. As far as FI v. Carb...all I've had is the FI. When it was bone stock, you would have to let it warm up a little or else it would sputter a little taking off. Still ran fine after you get going, but would sputter from a stop. After a stage one and dyno tune, runs flawless no matter the temp, nice and smooth through the range. I'm sure if you knew what you were doing, setting up the carb to perform similar wouldn't be that hard. I wouldn't know. I've put almost 9000 on mine since new (got it at the end of June 07) and it's good enough for me to ride anywhere. Comfortable enough and hangs in there. Quick release windshield and sundowner seat have doubled and maybe tripled the amount of time I can put in the saddle.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Yosamite and I searched everywhere for a deal on Sportsters. He needed one to build his bobber. I told him to let all the dealers know what he wanted, and what he wanted to pay. They ended up taking in a creampuff that they sold to him for under your budget figure. They get a ton of them in trade, and are always glad to make a quick turnover.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Lots of good info. I spoke with the local dealer and they only had one recent sporty an '07 1200N but they want 10K for it. I just don't see doing that when that gets pretty close to buying a Dyna.
She's doing her budget right now and making plans. She's working on saving up the cash; she has 5K or so cash now and is saving towards another 1500 by April. Her plans don't include a loan.
We'll see what kind of deals pop up. If we find something that she can afford right now, that would be great. Anyone know of other online shopping sites? Besides EBay and craigslist?

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
cycletrader.com

I've never bought anything just looked once in awhile.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
Search the craigslist in your area. I have seen nightsters for $7000 on there with stage 1 already
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Swiss Guard

phreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suck
I will agree with the '04 & upper 1200. I had an '04 883 and always wished it was a 1200, but I prefer the shape of the peanut tank to the shape of the tank on the custom. Mine was carbed, and I don't remember ever having mechanical problems with it.

Oh yeah, it was red
Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Double-D

Oh yeah...be patient. Times are tough, people are shedding their toys like crazy, the right deal will come along.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 PM
really small member

Ronnieh has failed to amuse us
MASSTCH, I sent you an email