Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Wheels & Tires
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:52 AM
KTWillys

Replace Tire???? Why

I have a new set of Avon Venom X's on my RG and they have about 1500 miles on them when I got a nail in the rear tire. It was pretty much on the curve of the tire (not in the sidewall at all) and the stealer told me that they would not repair the tire but that I had to replace it...
Ok so why.. we have been plugging or patching tires since they have been around...it is only recently that I have started to hear this..
Any one got a scientific reason for this...
or is this a just because...... just curious..
Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
No scientific reason, only liability reasons. You can not just plug it, that is only for emergency road side repair, but maybe it can be patch/plugged from the inside. That depends how far up the side of the tire the hole is.
Most automotive tire shops can put a patch/plug in it from the inside.

If it was me, I would spend the $150 to get a new tire put on the bike. My life rides on the tires, and I do not like to take any chances, although I have known a patch/plug in a motorcycle tire to last the life of the tire on other peoples bikes.

This is all for tubeless tires, if it has a tube, have a patch/plug put in the tire, get a new tube and carry on. Hell, I have just pulled the nail, cleaned up the hole inside the tire and put in a new tube and run them that way.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:08 AM
KTWillys

very true, if it was a front tire i wouldnt even have to think about it. i would change it. the rear is not such a big deal more of a pain if it fails on a trip but then that could happen any time.
money verses safety there is no question
i am sure the liability issue is a bid deal.. in my proffession we do an awful lot and spend a great deal of money just for the liability part.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I'm not gonna take a position on this, but if YOU would replace the front, replace the rear. I can give you the phone number of my riding buddy who's been riding as long as me who totalled his '03 Ultra because of a blowout on the rear.
We all put bells on our bikes after that one.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:52 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
You only have 2 tires, why risk your life for a few dollars? It's a no brainer!!!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Just plain Doof

rk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suck
what's that old saying?

Better to be safe than sorry

Psalm 23:4 and the Second Amendment are enough for me.

If you have issue with anything in this post. You can address this by opening a dos prompt and typing
cd C:/
and then type
format C:

What you looking for?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:10 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
If you are in a bind, plug it or better, patch it. Sometimes you are somewhere that you just can't get a 200 wide tire. A patch or plug can hold well, but a new tire should be in the near future.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 PM
8-Ball

Ride to live takes on a new meaning here...
Old 06-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Ride to live takes on a new meaning here...
Damn boy, get it straight, It's "Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride". I do not what to have to tell you this again.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:59 PM
8-Ball

I'm on my diet again.... I am...
Old 06-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Obsidian
Stone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:

You have 17 days to be on it. After that, all bets are off.

Just sayin'...

"Keeping a candle lit"

"RIP Butkus"
2002-2006

Danger: Propane
Keep Back 200 Feet
Old 06-13-2007, 04:09 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Good eatin' in Colorado!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Why, is the bike Broke down? Can't ride to eat.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Jams

From Dunlops Motorcycle Tire Website:

Quote:
Tire Repair

Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.

Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after repair and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected.

No form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident.
If you never exceed 75mph the tire will also last longer.

Use the tire for a smoke-out competition.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 PM
8-Ball

Don't exceed 75 mph.... when does that ever happen...