Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Doof Clenas Member

goingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Hesitation, sometimes

Here is my problem. Every once in a while I am riding at a steady speed (around 70mph) and I get a sputter almost like if I had a bad load of gas. I tried injector cleaner, dry gas etc without success. It started on the way west and got worse on the way back home. I really had a problem when it rained. Sometimes it would not occur for several hundred miles and sometimes it would feel like I wasn't going to make it a mile. In addition, I checked the snap electrical connectors on the DFO and sprayed wd40 on the connections. I changed the spark plugs and that did nothing. I really started to notice the problem when I went inside to the dfo to change some settings (I was running rich due to a pipe change). Seems after that everything went down the toilet. I understand that there are some problems with injector wires but I would think that problem would be somewhat all the time but as I said, occurs sometimes.

I pulled off the after market mufflers and put stock ones back on. I readjusted the dfo to account for this. Cleaned out the throttle body, the K&N filter and only had the issue once but it was going slow. I currently only have about 2 gallons of fuel in the tank and an entire bottle of dry gas just in case. Any suggestions? I have a 04 EG with an opened air cleaner and a K&N filter. Had rush mufflers with 1.5" baffles but now stock mufflers are back on. Also have a techlusion DFO the one that you hard wire into the bundle not the version that attached to the fuel injectors.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingsking View Post
home. I really had a problem when it rained. .
Plug wires. I had something similar in the rain too. I discovered it for sure, when I had a bad ignition. I was holding the wire trying to ground the electrode, before I hit the start button, when the ignition fired on its own.

I don't know if it is urban legend, but FI, you should use same length pl;ug wires. Personally unless you want a certain coor just use stock.

HD are $13, myself, I am going to start replacing them whenever the tank is off. You can replace them with the tank on, atleast with my carbed bike, but it would be more enjoyable off. One of those thigns where you say I wish I had the quick connect on the fuel crossover, then forget until next time.

I am not swearing this is your problem. But it cheap and fairly easy to do.

Also how many miles? At 45k I replaced map and CPK. $45 each.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Doof Clenas Member

goingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgoingsking is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Thanks for the advice. I only have 17k miles and will try pulling them off and checking the resistance on them. Needless to say, I tried several things at one time so perhaps it was just bad gas (one of the other guys riding also complained about some bad gas on the way home). Since I took the EW, and I am now back to stock, I may just give it to HD to figure out.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Kenney

Just doing a resistance check on the plug wires will not find a "Cracked or holed" plug wire. If in dought replace them.
Sounds like maybe a grounding problem to me.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Doof Clenas Member

I just hate these little electrical issues. I spoke to the dfo company and they suggested disconnecting the clip on connections and move both of them someplace else (they are on the ground wire to the each injector) I never liked those type of connections and considering it only started someplace in Ohio after I went in and changed the dfo settings, perhaps comprimised the mechanical connection. I think the next thing to try is to totally disconnect the dfo and let the bike run stock (after I get rid if the gas mix I have in there now) and see how it does. If the problem goes away, then I will reconnect the dfo using something other then the little plastic connections they provided) and hope that solves the problem.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
8-Ball

I was going to say plug wires as well as a place to start. I had a loose connection to my front plug. The little ferrule had unscrewed.

I found it by checking my error codes.... have you done that?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Doof Clenas Member

I haven't checked for any error codes yet. I put my service manual someplace and can't find it so I don't know how to get them. The yellow light doesn't light up except as typically when I start it up.

Did a search and got the procedure, will try it out today or tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
If you are going to the trouble of pulling off the wires to check resitance, you might as well replace, around $13. My resitance was fine, but I got poke.

Resistane checks to do not really check insulation. You need to hipot or meggar.

If you had error codes wouldn't the light come back on after, start up?? Thats how my 07 does it.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Excommunicated

VTF has a sticky on 04 codes I think.

http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/sho...23&postcount=2

I cannot vouche for this, just somethign I saved.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Doof Clenas Member

I pulled the codes and it came up P0261 which is Front Injector Open/Low EFI. I am wondering if this is the dreaded broken wire on the injector problem, which if it is I will bring it back to the dealer since I have the extended Warrantee, or perhaps I can figure out how to get to the wire and move it around to see if that is indeed the problem. I am also wondering if the connection to the dfo if not all that good would also cause the problem.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Excommunicated

Clear the code and see if it comes up again.

Also wd40 is not the best way for elec connectors. Get some dielectric grease. Another thing that could affect you when raining or humid out.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Doof Clenas Member

I spoke with Techlusion and told them the code I pulled and they suggested that I re-do the connection on the front fuel injection wire. Did that and will wait and see if it worked. I haven't thrown any codes in the past two days so perhaps the issue is resolved.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 PM
GrayRider

Good to know that they have good tech support. Mikuni America also does.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Doof Clenas Member

I think I solved the problem. I reattached the front injector wire at the harness. They use those quick snap on connections which I am not a big fan of. The other day I was playing around with the connections and then the dfo just would not work. Kept getting the flashing green light and nothing else. Out of frustration I cleaned the connections with spray cleaner and then re connected both front and rear injector wire connections and that seemed to resolve the issue. I think over the winter I am going to pull the dfo and have it "updated" by techlusion to the plug and play one where it attaches directly to the injectors and I can get rid of those poor mechanical connections I have to rely on right now.