Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Softail Discussion
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 05:31 PM
8-Ball

'07 Softail RECALL...

Found this on another forum... thought ya'll might be interested.

"Well Looks Like Everyone With An 07 Softail May Be In For A Rude Awakening...just Got A Letter In The Mail Straight From Harley Informing Me Of A Problem With The Positive Battery Cable Shorting Out On The Oil Tank And Causing Leaks Followed By Fires...couldnt Have Come At A More Annoying Time Then The Begining Of Riding Season...must Be A Really Big Issue For The National Traffic And Motor Vehicle Safety People To Get Involved...so Just A Heads Up If You Got One The Letter Is Coming...it Covers All Softails Made From June 8 2006- March 14 2007...

I coppied this from the Deluxe site, I got my leter from HD regarding this matter also, my problem is that for me to take my bike to a HD dealer is a 3000 K round trip, or if I ship it, Im looking at $600 in frieght!! I bet HD are not going to cover those costs!! I'm going to have to fix this problem myself, like everything else on my bike, has anyone had a look at this problem yet? if so, whats the fix? sounds like you have to insulate the cable from the tank, Im going to have a look today and see if it is bad as HD make out."
Old 06-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Qu@s@r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post

"Well Looks Like Everyone With An 07 Softail May Be In For A Rude Awakening...just Got A Letter In The Mail Straight From Harley Informing Me Of A Problem With The Positive Battery Cable Shorting Out On The Oil Tank And Causing Leaks Followed By Fires...couldnt Have Come At A More Annoying Time Then The Begining Of Riding Season...must Be A Really Big Issue For The National Traffic And Motor Vehicle Safety People To Get Involved...so Just A Heads Up If You Got One The Letter Is Coming...it Covers All Softails Made From June 8 2006- March 14 2007...

I coppied this from the Deluxe site, I got my leter from HD regarding this matter also, my problem is that for me to take my bike to a HD dealer is a 3000 K round trip, or if I ship it, Im looking at $600 in frieght!! I bet HD are not going to cover those costs!! I'm going to have to fix this problem myself, like everything else on my bike, has anyone had a look at this problem yet? if so, whats the fix? sounds like you have to insulate the cable from the tank, Im going to have a look today and see if it is bad as HD make out."
You just need to pop your seat and ensure that the battery is secure and that the positive wire cannot touch any of the metal surrounding it. Rubber sleeve would take care of any doubts. Don't know who that guy is but I would think he better be a wrench if he lives 3000K from a dealer LOL
Old 06-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Known Associate

TXCHOP has failed to amuse us
Just finished a complete custom 07 heritage....I told my buddy to come back at 500 miles so i can re adjust his p-rods and change oil....Well i did that and also decided to check out his cables since i have seen the pics of a softail that caught fire...gues what, his showed signs of the rub already. @500 miles...Needless to say he will be at the dealer on Friday to get it done.......
Old 07-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Has this happen on a 74 kaw. but wasn't stock battery. In my case, I ended up flipping.

Sure wouldn't hurt to wrap with electrical tape. Though its more for abrasion then insulation, so duct take would work too. Not familar with a softail. The battery is under the cover so take wouldn't be visibile, I think.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Doof Cadet

Last Cigar Smoked: don't smoke no friggin ceegars
knuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sock
cheep reason to visit the stealer

had em do mine today. i had put black electrical tape on the terminal just in case. hadn't any rubbing or clearance problem.

they changed my primary fluid. we looked at it and it was high. i told em i hadn't put more then the quart, called for.

I really wanted em to adjust the clutch cause i had stripped a derby screw.
an I couldn't get the cover off.

so i got 1 qt. primary fluid, replace derby screw and tighten final drive belt./clutch adjustment

cost $6.31

Doofbag Fer EverI smell Fish
Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM
The Cisco Kid

Last Cigar Smoked: Backwoods Mild - Honey Berry
TJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post

"my problem is that for me to take my bike to a HD dealer is a 3000 K round trip, or if I ship it, Im looking at $600 in frieght!! I bet HD are not going to cover those costs!! I'm going to have to fix this problem myself, like everything else on my bike, has anyone had a look at this problem yet? if so, whats the fix? sounds like you have to insulate the cable from the tank, Im going to have a look today and see if it is bad as HD make out."
That guy must live WAY OUT OF THE WAY. There is not too many places on the Earth (dry land) that is 3000 miles from an HD??? Right???
Old 11-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Clubhouse Electrician

Q-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Willy View Post
That guy must live WAY OUT OF THE WAY. There is not too many places on the Earth (dry land) that is 3000 miles from an HD??? Right???
...plus it just now ridin' season.

Must be New Zealand or Australia.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 PM
The Cisco Kid

Last Cigar Smoked: Backwoods Mild - Honey Berry
TJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dog View Post
...plus it just now ridin' season.

Must be New Zealand or Australia.
I thought about that but is is around 3000 miles diameter at the widest point. There has to be an HD in the middle there somewhere.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Swiss Guard

phreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suck
How about three thousand KILOMETERS.

Plus the thread originally started in June..... just about the beginning of riding season in the northern hemisphere