Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 07-27-2007, 08:22 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
That may well be the arguement...

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I am thinking a bad batch, bad rings, bad machine, bad employeee, ect. Theres alot of these out there.

Steve says he quit selling them because of problems. Well he couldn't exactly sell the RP and bore his own. That would have been talking out of both sides of his mouth. The bored are cheaper, and probably easier to sell. Competion was ding it and probably cutting into sales.

Theres alot of issues here.

If mine fails, I will be ranting and cursing RP too.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
I do not have a dog in this fight either.
I will tell you what made me very skeptical about the RP cylinders is their "lifetime warranty". Anybody that gives a "lifetime warranty" on a H-D cylinder is full of it IMHO and I do not trust them. That is like giving a lifetime warranty on a motor, it just is not going to happen.

Also, a 2% field failure rate is pretty bad by todays QA standards.

I believe in 95" kits for several reasons.
1. Pistons are made by everybody.
2. A proven design
3. Can be bored to .005" or .010" over of larger if you need to freshen up the motor.

Time will tell on the new bored 97.5 cylinders but IMHO from a longevity standpoint and motor rebuild standpoint, I like 95".

I do hope everybody with a 98" kit has the best of service from it and the new larger bored cast cylinders hold up to the test of time.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
LittleBear, I'm with you. If/when I can afford to and decide to do a build, it will be the tried and true 95". Bikes are no different than cars when it comes to boring cylinders. Bore to much, walls get too thin, sh!t starts to happen, none of it good.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabbydoo View Post
LittleBear, I'm with you. If/when I can afford to and decide to do a build, it will be the tried and true 95". Bikes are no different than cars when it comes to boring cylinders. Bore to much, walls get too thin, sh!t starts to happen, none of it good.
When you do decide, give me a call, love to tear other folks stuff apart....
Old 07-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................

I'm hopin ya like to put it back together then...

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 07-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabbydoo View Post
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................

I'm hopin ya like to put it back together then...
Sure, as long as nothing goes wrong...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I have a dog in this fight, and so far he's on top. I have a 98" setup from Steve, installed it here myself. I have 18 or so months and about 18 to 20K on it. So far so good..........

Now, if it were ever to take a dump, like others here, I'd most likely go to a 95" setup, again because of the availabiltiy of parts. Time will tell.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 07-27-2007, 11:33 PM
8-Ball

This is the way I see it... and this is from a non mechanic...

If 90+% of these nikasil kits are good with an aluminum skirt, then the CNC bored cast iron sleeve and skirt runs a very good chance of holding up.

As Geez says... only time will tell.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I don't put much stock in lifetime warranites, the personhas to be in buisness for it to be any good. I got RP cylinders GMR lifters. There have been peple on VTF with lifter failure, I once in awhile get knock when cold, been wondering about. After someone on VTF complaining about GMRs warranty, I figured why bother. Who will be around longer an indie or manufactor? Who knows?

Be interesting to see what happens. I don't get warm fuzzy from either side.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:42 AM
R.I.P.
Never Forget - 343

Fire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up space
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Sure, as long as nothing goes wrong...
What do you do when you have left over parts????

Old 07-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire46 View Post
What do you do when you have left over parts????
I just throw them in a saddlebag. Figure the bike will tell me where they go sooner of later and I will have them to reinstall.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:10 AM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
I saw some bad cylinders from RevPerf. They were destined for BigTom's bike, but never made it in there. The honing was bad, although that could have been caused by something earlier in the manufacturing process. The cylinders were returned before installatiion and within a week to 10 days an acceptable set had found its way here.

It's too bad these defective cylinders made it into the hands of customers. The plating technology is proven. The worst thing that can happen to a manufacturer is having a problem shop practice that then makes it all the way to the end user.

Engine by Otto.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:23 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I agree that the nikasil plating technology is proven, but I also think that the thin cylinder skirt is going to continue to be problematic in an unacceptable percentage of the kits.
IIRC, (from somebody smarter than me) the MoCo itself learned that very lesson back with the Evo.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Excommunicated

From revperf website

As I have stated many times before, all other major manufacturers currently use all aluminum cylinders with plated bores in not only their water cooled over square engines but in their air cooled under square engines as well. All Cushman Star cruisers, Victory cruisers and so on have already implemented this technology with great success.

One of the reason I bought it was other companies were doing it. The # failures worries me though. Paticually 8balls, since we know his done by somebody knowledgeable. But the other warranty issues who knows.

Like I said Iwant to do a leak down test. Unfortunately due to other issue my 98" is down. Which is really getting to me. It did seem like it was using a bit of oil after the last trip. I want to ride and keep track f how much and how many miles.