Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > BMW
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

BMW Bikes that are engineered to be ridden... just sayin'...

Old 09-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thinking BMW

Seeing some nice prices on relatively low mile K models. Thinking of maybe getting one as a second bike.

Something like a K100RS "flying brick" from someone who maintained it but doesn't get a lot of seat time. Seeing them around for $2200 - $4500. Just thinking for now...

Anyone with any experience on "bricks?"
Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Old 09-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Those are really nice looking bikes.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 09-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
That is a hell of allot of motorcycle for that kind of money.

Go for it.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
BMW K 1300 S.
The interceptor. The athlete. Aerodynamic, avant-garde. Do you know of another sporty bike with this profile? A bike that develops such pulling power with 175 hp that it take the heat out of many a 200 hp bike? But a bike you can still take out on a quick trip simply because it has great everyday suitability? At the same time a technological treat? The reasons: 103 lb/ft (140 Nm) from 1,293 cc – and at 8,250 rpm too. With a throaty sound from a cool, hexagonal tube. With catalytic converter and exhaust valve. And with fuel consumption and exhaust emission values which would suit many a machine with half the dynamic performance

The BMW K 1300 GT.

Gran Tourismo - or in the case of the BMW K 1300 GT quite simply one of the fastest movers around. It opens up a new era in the timing of long distances. Nonetheless: impressive though the average travel times may be on this machine, its performance is also fascinating at low speeds, for example after a hairpin bend. This is because at engine speeds you operate in more than 80% of the time on the road – i.e. the lower and middle ranges – this engine adds something you can feel instantly: 99 lb/ft from 1,293 cc. No ifs or buts. And 160 hp for the three-lane motorway. The fact that this in-line 4-cylinder is very low-key when it comes to fuel consumption and exhaust emissions makes fast travel even more pleasing

®
Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Kinda how I'm seeing it. I'm looking at 1985 models specifically, as they came with a Euro-spec cam that's supposed to be a little hotter and the fairing was more open, showing the engine. I like those big, blocky-looking things. This one has no bags. but most do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMW-1.jpg (40.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg BMW-2.jpg (36.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 09-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Hay, ya comming out for Cheeseapalloza?

Old 09-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I passed one on the way home yesterday, same color as the one in the picture. Sharp bike.

How's maintenance on them?

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 09-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Hand Wringer

FinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm gonna buy a KAW 650 KLR next spring.
Used for around 3 grand.

*Sensitive at all times.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Gordo, if the one in the pic is the one you're considering...........looks to be in pretty damm'd fine shape.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 09-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by d j View Post
Hay, ya comming out for Cheeseapalloza?
I'm sure hoping to. Finally cracked into my primary to see what's what and instead of finding a loose comp nut, I found the nylon shoe of the primary chain adjuster broken in 1/2 and the chain so tight I can't turn the engine over with the rear tire and the bike in 5th... A piece of nylon from the shoe is caught up in the chain as it wraps around the clutch basket and it's wedged tight.

So... tomorrow, I'll see if I can run and bump it to get it to turn enough so the chunk of nylon comes free. Then I'll be able to see what the heck else might be wrong.

Long story, but I'll make CP if I can button this all up without spending a ton. Part of the reason I'm thinking I want a second bike.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
BTW Gordo, if you do get one you better make sure you've got a pair of Bass Weejuns to wear riding that thing

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 09-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
I passed one on the way home yesterday, same color as the one in the picture. Sharp bike.

How's maintenance on them?
From what I've read and folks I've talked to, maintenance is pretty standard stuff. Water/oil pumps and transmission shaft splines require attention, but given that and standard upkeep, they're supposed to be bullet proof with 100,000 miles expected and 200,000 not uncommon.

I like idea of a sport cruiser-ish back up that's stone reliable and easy to work on. We'll see...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:05 AM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Go for it Gordon.

With that low of an entry fee you can spend some money on upgrades like matching bags. You'll have all the fun you have on the Dyna and still be able to travel without strapping stuff everywhere.

Back in the 70's I met an old (at the time to me) retired guy who'd been traveling the country on his BMW with his wife. He had 250,000 miles on his bike. I'm sure their standards are just as high today.

Engine by Otto.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Known Associate

susqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube socksusqy doesn't need a tube sock
What's the riding position on those bikes for long trips? Still lean front or can you be upright? (Never was on one)