Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Seats, Saddles, Pillions, Backrests, Luggage Racks & Paks
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Road King Custom Bags On Softail

When I had duals on I could support the bags off of the pipe brackets. When I went 2-1 I had to come up with something else.

With the help of a good friend of mine who has a well stocked shop, this is what we've got so far.

Started with the plate from the last mount. To mount the to the fender strut, remove bolts and replace with a stud long enough to get the backrest detach hardware and a 1-inch chrome spacer. Secure that with a button head nut. Position the bag and drill 3/8-inch holes in the plate that match the bag mounting holes.

We used 3/4-inch solid bar for the support off of the passenger board bolt. I used a grinder to make a center notch about 1/2-inch deep and welded a 2-inch long, 1 x 1/8 plate in the end. That is then cut, drilled and ground to fit so it doesn't interfere with the swing arm. You have to be sure to make the bends so it gets outside the swingarm to prevent it from hitting the swingarm. We would have used tubing if we had a way to bend it. Bolt that piece up so the it's centered in the swingarm. we left it a little long to be cut later.

We then bent a piece of 3/4-inch round with about a 6-inch leg at 90* Cut that to length so it would fit the rails under the bag. Mark the short leg to mate up to the piece off the passenger peg. We tacked that piece in place with the bag supported and in what will be the desired position. We then bent a piece of 1 1/2 x 1/8-inch plate steel to attach to the plate and down on top of the bar under the bag. Tacked that in place. We then removed everything and filled the welds, cut the pieces to length that were run a little wild and ground it all for primer. We have the other side mocked up and just about ready for welding.

The alignment is a tedious chore. If I like the way it turns out, I'll get them powdercoated this winter.

Front turn signals are used to tuck them in tight to the fender strut. They are attached from behind with a button head allen. It's a tight fit so you have to cut an allen wrench down so the short leg is about 1/2-inch.

Last edited by vafatboy; 05-24-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:22 PM
GrayRider

Excellent fabrication! I love the looks of the Custom bags on a softtail. That's the way we did things years ago. You couldn't buy many accessories, so you had to make 'em. Good job...looks great. Got any full view pics?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:35 PM

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayRider View Post
Excellent fabrication! I love the looks of the Custom bags on a softtail. That's the way we did things years ago. You couldn't buy many accessories, so you had to make 'em. Good job...looks great. Got any full view pics?

Thanks Gray, Full pics to come. I didn't get any full pics of the bag on yet. I was trying to get more of the fab so others could follow if so inclined. The after market brackets to do this run $500 and up to near $700. I didn't like the position that they offer, a little too high and forward. This will run me about $80 without powdercoat.

The credit needs to go to my friend Stewart for his input in this project. He redirected my efforts quite a few times and it's turning out much better because of it.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:42 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Ever thought about making a couple extra sets and sellin em? The only think keeping me from putting my bags on is moving my signals and the kit I got to mount them from McKays is black, not the best color. Might give it a go on Saturday tho....

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Ever thought about making a couple extra sets and sellin em? The only think keeping me from putting my bags on is moving my signals and the kit I got to mount them from McKays is black, not the best color. Might give it a go on Saturday tho....
Using a front turn signal might work, it depends on how much room the Mckays gives you between the bag and the strut. I had to space the mount off enough not just for the bag, but to allow the lid to open too.

You can pick up front takeoff turn signals cheap. The front turn signal is three wire, not two like the rears. You use the same colors for wiring as the rear and abandon the third wire. I used butt spices for the wires and covered with two pieces of shrink wrap, the second longer than the first. You could get new pins and pick the connector, but the crimp tool is hard to find and big $$$

I thought about making extras, but this is kicking my azz. I'm going black with mine like I did before. Can't see much of it and it blends in with the black on the frame.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:59 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Using a front turn signal might work, it depends on how much room the Mckays gives you between the bag and the strut. I had to space the mount off enough not just for the bag, but to allow the lid to open too.

You can pick up front takeoff turn signals cheap. The front turn signal is three wire, not two like the rears. You use the same colors for wiring as the rear and abandon the third wire. I used butt spices for the wires and covered with two pieces of shrink wrap, the second longer than the first. You could get new pins and pick the connector, but the crimp tool is hard to find and big $$$

I thought about making extras, but this is kicking my azz.

Sweet. THe only prob with McKays is that the turn signal holes are blocked by the bracket. I would have to relocate them at a minimum. Still haven't decided whether or not it is worth it or not. Hmmm.

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:20 AM
DrHeathenScum

http://www.cyclevisions.com/bagger-tail.html

just wanted to throw that out there for anyone who doesn;t have the mad skillz to make their own... a friend of mine has them on her Heritage and they seem to do the job.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:40 AM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
http://www.cyclevisions.com/bagger-tail.html

just wanted to throw that out there for anyone who doesn;t have the mad skillz to make their own... a friend of mine has them on her Heritage and they seem to do the job.
That seems to be a better system than McKays. This is what the McKays mounts look like.......

Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Tolling of the iron bell

jimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withjimmymac is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
That's sweet. Great job.

Do post up some more pics...
Old 05-25-2007, 07:28 AM

I should have bought a RK....just sayin.......
Old 05-25-2007, 09:03 AM
8-Ball

Hey Warren... that is so cool!!! The RK Custom bags look great on the softail.

I would like to see the full shots of the bags on the bike as well... great job!
Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Clubhouse Electrician

Q-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowQ-Dog has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Great lookin' job, Warren!
Old 05-25-2007, 01:18 PM
R.I.P.
Never Forget - 343

Fire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up spaceFire46 does more than just take up space
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
I should have bought a RK....just sayin.......
Well, it would have saved you a lot of work, but what you did looks really good. Can't wait to see the full shots also.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:47 PM

Finished it up today except for painting the left side. I'll do that tonight.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:49 PM
GrayRider

Awesome!