Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Headers & Exhaust
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 PM
KTWillys

True Dual Fix

Hi all...
Went and got the VH True Dual Headers for the 04 Road Glide..
Start story here.. Ok so I wanted the O2 Sensor Bungs so I ordered the
07-08 headers... the Drag Rep told me that it would work just fine..
Well NOT........
So I called up and emailed VH Tech Line and according to them (by the way when talking to them on the phone they were very helpful and truly wanted to help, exceptional customer service) all I needed was their 353-P bracket (the one for the earlier headers) it is not that they were just trying to get me off of the phone but I really believe that they really didnt know that this would not work. Anyway the sent me the bracket (of course in the email they wanted to sell it to me for 14.00 plus shippint) but since it was a missing part they sent is at no cost to me.. even though it did take a little over a week to get here.
Again this bracket does not work so dont buy it..
I ended up taking the stock starter bracket and doing a little customising work and it works just perfect... You also use the stock pipe to header support piece (called the "Bracket Tab, Exhaust mount starter" according to the HD parts book.
You also have to use the stock transmission bracket to mount the right header (front)
If you decide to do this I made a template of the stock starter bracket that works and since I used the included exhaust clamps to clamp the two slip-on mufflers and the right header to the transmission bracket I ended up using a 2 inch worm clamp on the starter mount.
It seems to work very well..
If you want a copy of the template and a few more helpful hints just let me know and I will send one your way....
Old 02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I threw my starter bracket in the bush, when I put on my fatcat. Cleaner look.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 PM
KTWillys

Yep wish I could have done the same but had to support it some how.

What did you use to support the rear pipe?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTWillys View Post
Yep wish I could have done the same but had to support it some how.

What did you use to support the rear pipe?
TJ ...... I'd need some pics to really see what you are describing ....

I just remounted the exhaust on my FXR .... not that this compares to your mounted exhaust ... but interesting about how the rear pipe is supported. On mine, the V&H guys made a dog bone type of hanger ..... ya use a longer bolt for the rear foot peg and hang the dogbone from there..... there's a bracket that hangs from that which connects to the back of the front muffler, and to the rear muffler.
the front pipe is attached to a bracket on the transmission, but the back pipe is totally hung from this dogbone thingy .....
can post up pics if anyone is interested ...... not many here need info on FXR junk (like one maybe)

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 02-08-2008, 03:34 AM
BigAlsRK

Yep....had to go and buy all new stock brackets for my true dual install......
Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 AM
8-Ball

KT...

can you email me some pics and the template... I'll put them up in this thread.

Mike
Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
KTWillys

You got it 8, I will get some pics today and will scan the template...

KT