Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Suspension
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Suspension Shocks, Forks, Front Ends, Stabilizers, etc...

Old 04-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Northeastern Doofdom

silent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the suck
Wobble wobble wobble

Ok, so I know that I need to get the bagger brace for the rear end shake when you're in the turns, but what about the front? I was riding in to work today and had the chance to play with a 911 on the freeway. I was cranking along at 80 or so and passed him as he was getting on the freeway. A while later he caught and we played in traffic for a while. At one point I hit 105 and the front end got the horrible shake. I had to back off of it at that point.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:53 AM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Do a search on "tank slapper"

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 04-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Northeastern Doofdom

silent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the suck
It almost felt like a tank slapper, but not quite. I was going straight. All I did was accelerate, and gradually at that.

At any rate, I knew that I needed to let the bike do its thing and not keep a death grip on the handlebars.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:57 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Caused by that ungodly vibration in the engine, no doubt.

From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 04-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I actually had a whiff of this the other day....Nice long uphill sweeper (outer loop of 495 just past 270 and just before Old Georgetown Road for the locals). Went through somewhere between 80-90mph, leaned over pretty good, and got a little bit of wobble in the bars (least I think it was in the bars, they were moving). Now in fairness, there was a 30mph wind blowing that day, but it did surprise me.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 04-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Northeastern Doofdom

Oh wait, it is a little windy today. Maybe that's the problem?

I'm gonna be sad if I cant ever take the bike over 100+mph and not get that shake.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Northeastern Doofdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
Caused by that ungodly vibration in the engine, no doubt.

Why don't you ride up here and fix it? Not like you got anything else to do.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
R.I.P.
you know better...

mongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
[IMG][/IMG]

So long for now RedRider

Nine-mile skid, on a ten-mile ride,
Hot as a pistol but cool inside.
Like I told ya, what I said,
Steal your face right off your head.

1965------2006

Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Make sure your bike is aligned correctly and the fall away (steering head bearings) are adjusted properly.
Then get a bagger brace type thing of the brand of your choosing.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
Another suggestion:
Replace the front tire. Get something decent.
It is amazing how many aren't true.
One simple check, is to elevate the front end and spin the front tire. It is amazing how many treads will not run true. It only takes a slight deviation to cause the problem you describe. Dunlop OEM's are notorious for this, but they are not alone. All Mfg suffer the same problem to some degree.
It will cause the problem you are experiencing. It will also cause a wobble during deceleration sometimes, which almost guarantees that it is a tire problem. To test, let your bike decelerate while keeping very slight grip on the handlebars. If you feel a vibration, especially around 45 MPH, your tire is bad.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 04-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Northeastern Doofdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiles View Post
Another suggestion:
Replace the front tire. Get something decent.
It is amazing how many aren't true.
One simple check, is to elevate the front end and spin the front tire. It is amazing how many treads will not run true. It only takes a slight deviation to cause the problem you describe. Dunlop OEM's are notorious for this, but they are not alone. All Mfg suffer the same problem to some degree.
It will cause the problem you are experiencing. It will also cause a wobble during deceleration sometimes, which almost guarantees that it is a tire problem. To test, let your bike decelerate while keeping very slight grip on the handlebars. If you feel a vibration, especially around 45 MPH, your tire is bad.
My Dunlop Elite 3's have around 35 miles on them.

I'll try this test when I get home today. I'm gonna be pissed if I have to send that tire back.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Northeastern Doofdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Make sure your bike is aligned correctly and the fall away (steering head bearings) are adjusted properly.
Then get a bagger brace type thing of the brand of your choosing.
I'll pull out the manual tonite and check.

Have I mentioned how awesome you guys are lately?

Old 04-30-2010, 01:32 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent1 View Post
I'll pull out the manual tonite and check.

Have I mentioned how awesome you guys are lately?
They made you believe your engine was broken because it shook.
Maybe a dealer for the alignment and fall-away?
(If it makes you feel better, I pay to have those 2 things done, too...)

Old 04-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Northeastern Doofdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
They made you believe your engine was broken because it shook.
Urban legend. I never understood what he was talking about until I figured out I got pranked. I kept asking what was he talking about and he just kept pointing at the engine.

The fact that he did it with a straight face was the reason I didn't check him. But I never thought the engine was "broken".

Come on... I'm not THAT gullible.

Ok, maybe a little...

But seriously, do I need to hit a dealer to have them check alignment? The bike is approaching 25K miles, so maybe getting it checked isn't a bad thing.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:57 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

I have them do the alignment and fall away. Always have the alignment done before you install a bagger brace type thing, since you don't want the bike locked into a "crooked" attitude (like a Chicago politician). It's about time for fall away, too.
25 k is also when your fuel filter (inside the tank for EFI) should be changed.
I paid to have that done, too.
I'm lazy.