Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Riders Clothing, Gear, Helmets, etc.
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
More rain gear discussion

So I've read through all the other threads about raingear.

It appears that REI no longer has the stuff that's been spoken of in those threads.

I'm not a fan of Frogg Toggs, as my pipes get wicked hot.

I've looked at the H-D Gore-Tex stuff, but the price is choke-inducing, and I'd prefer something not black. Hi-viz is good in rain gear.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 07-06-2009, 09:37 AM
43rd Prophet

swmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suck
Check out Tour Master...they have the pricey (and colorful) stuff and they have a inexpensive line...it's good gear and it's about $70...

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
~James Madison, speech, Virginia Convention, 1788

Old 07-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Stoney had some neat rain gear I was eyeballing in ES. Hey Stoney, what's the name of that stuff again?

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 07-06-2009, 09:58 AM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
Stoney had some neat rain gear I was eyeballing in ES. Hey Stoney, what's the name of that stuff again?
My stuff was made by a company called Bull Faster... I paid about $50 for the pants and jacket at a bike show, and they've been real good so far.

Edit: they're located in Quebec, so their English isn't the best......

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I had and may still have the cheap tourmaster. Only issue I had with them, was 1st set didn't not have heat shields. Which wasn't a problem with stock pipes, but was was a fatcat. Even with stock, I would get heat shields.

Recommondations are good, but you need to be careful on forums of getting tunnel vision, and only going with one brand. IMO damn near any rain gear will do the trick. Open up DK cataluge and pick one out. Ok, now come the I had this pair and sucked posts.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Excommunicated

Bofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
We have the HD hi-vis suites. Never once had a problem with any leaks. Totally love it...

Old 07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney61 View Post
My stuff was made by a company called Bull Faster... I paid about $50 for the pants and jacket at a bike show, and they've been real good so far.

Edit: they're located in Quebec, so their English isn't the best......
That's ok, neither is my French.

Thanks.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofinn View Post
We have the HD hi-vis suites. Never once had a problem with any leaks. Totally love it...

And I get a warning your coming. Though bright colors are probably good idea in the rain. My gear is black and gray, I'll make a cool looking corpse.

For my Alaska trip, I've though about fancy gortex suits and such, but leathers and rain gear has work pretty good, so far.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Gore-Tex is expensive, but I know the stuff works well. I want to make sure that if I do get stuck in a downpour on a long trip (like going down south next June), I'm not miserable doing it.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 AM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Gore-Tex is expensive, but I know the stuff works well. I want to make sure that if I do get stuck in a downpour on a long trip (like going down south next June), I'm not miserable doing it.
Riding in the rain is no fun....you'll still be miserable, but at least you'll be dry.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Doof Clenas Member

HarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
for cool / cold weather, I've ditched all of the cool leather in favor of waterproof textiles. warm and dry works for me.

in warm / hot weather I have the frogg toggs rolled up in the side bag. they work well and I don't have any issues with the pipes on the Ultra.

I either stop to put on the Toggs or just get wet and then get up and walk around on the floor boards to dry out...
Old 07-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
I have Frogg Toggs...so I got nothing meaningful to contribute.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I've got the high dollar HD pants, got 'em off the clearance rack for $30.

My jacket is a Gander Mountain Guide Series in grey, very similar to the 100mph suits sold by Bass Pro. The cuffs are neoprene, the jacket is GoreTex. It runs $180, but I again picked it up on clearance, $110.
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney61 View Post
Riding in the rain is no fun....you'll still be miserable, but at least you'll be dry.
Good point. But I'd much rather be dry and miserable than wet and miserable.

Ed, I was all but sold on the Frogg Toggs until I heard about the melting-on-the-pipes issue. I like the fact that they don't take up a ton of space and that they breathe.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:05 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Don't touch your leg to the pipes.

OR...

Take an old pair of jeans, cut a swatch out of them, and sew on the inside of the legs of the FroggToggs...
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!