Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:38 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Thumbs down Harley Instructions

Can anyone change the brakes following the instructions in the service manual?

Change the inside pad - pull out the pins and change the outside pad without the inside pad falling out? It seemed backwards reading it but I gave it a go. The front dropped as soon as I pulled the pins out.

So on the back after changing the inside I screwed the pins in a bit and stepped on the brakes a couple of times to seat the new pad. That didn't help the inside pad didn't fall out but that's only because of all the interference with the wheel it was so far out that ya couldn't see anything but metal.

Next time should I do it in reverse order, or just pry out both pads and start from scratch.

Engine by Otto.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:44 PM
8-Ball

I just pulled out both pads... the only thing you have to be careful of is not letting that tension spring fall out.

Be real careful you don't push those pistons out of their bores (and they don't come out even - one will all of the sudden pop out)... it is near impossible to get them back in without disembling the caliper.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
I just pulled out both pads... the only thing you have to be careful of is not letting that tension spring fall out.

Be real careful you don't push those pistons out of their bores (and they don't come out even - one will all of the sudden pop out)... it is near impossible to get them back in without disembling the caliper.
Hey Boss,

Mine come out even after good cleaning. Which I do at every pad change now. How long it lasts is another question.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:51 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Can I borrow the reverse torx?

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:19 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Hey Boss,

Mine come out even after good cleaning. Which I do at every pad change now. How long it lasts is another question.
you are using some sort of magic... Mine were perfect after I rebuilt them... perfect... tried to pump them up and watch the piston action... they didn't come out even... did I tell you it was perfect.!!!!

I did talk to Geez and he told me next time to polish the pistons with some scotch brite... do you do that... could be the difference..?
Old 06-15-2007, 06:56 AM
natural-born world-shaker

Location: Mobile literally and figuratively, Alabama; working in Shanghai and Germany
Last Cigar Smoked: tobacco
thedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withthedog is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMiller View Post
Can anyone change the brakes following the instructions in the service manual?
Yes, with patience. Not the easiest task in the world, though.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I think I read them and then did it in a way that seemed intuitively obvious to me.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 06-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
1. Remove Calipers from mounts
2. Disconnect brake line from caliper
3. Throw old caliper away
4. Replace brake line with braided stainless line
5. Remove wheel
6. Remove rotors
7. Throw rotors away
8. Replace rotors with floating rotors.
9. Reinstall wheel
10. Replace Calipers with Brembo 4 piston calipers
11. Bleed brakes
12. Be able to really stop, no squeaks, and pistons sealed from dust

Enjoy a real brake system

http://www.partsmag.com/0605/brembo-...embo-0605.html
Old 06-15-2007, 06:08 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
1. Remove Calipers from mounts
2. Disconnect brake line from caliper
3. Throw old caliper away
4. Replace brake line with braided stainless line
5. Remove wheel
6. Remove rotors
7. Throw rotors away
8. Replace rotors with floating rotors.
9. Reinstall wheel
10. Replace Calipers with Brembo 4 piston calipers
11. Bleed brakes
12. Be able to really stop, no squeaks, and pistons sealed from dust

Enjoy a real brake system

http://www.partsmag.com/0605/brembo-...embo-0605.html

Maybe next time. I just didn't wanna run out of brakes in CO. I can lock up both tires now and seem to do so more often than I'd like. I'm a little scared of going to higher performance brakes.

Less dust would be nice, though.

Engine by Otto.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Maybe next time. I just didn't wanna run out of brakes in CO. I can lock up both tires now and seem to do so more often than I'd like. I'm a little scared of going to higher performance brakes.

Less dust would be nice, though.
Did you bleed them and flush in fresh fluid? High altitudes can play heck will any air or water in break systems on motorcycles. May feel good currently, but I had my rear brake get mushy at over 12k feet due having old fluid in the system.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:18 PM
GazintA

How old? The rear's been in about 6 months, the front about a year.

Engine by Otto.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:20 PM
8-Ball

Dayum... $600 per caliper?!

I'll be they are great though...

Next year... maybe.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
How old? The rear's been in about 6 months, the front about a year.
Should be good.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:37 PM
GazintA

Thanks,
The list of stuff to do is long enough, but that is the sort of thing that should be added instead of ignored.

Engine by Otto.