Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Wheels & Tires
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
I wish I hadn't mentioned that :-(

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 04-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
I got nothin....except I like my spokes and Zoomie Dog is now stable. The solids are heavier, just ask Zoomie about the shipping.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Hangaround

Electric Head has failed to amuse us
Thanks for the replies everyone - so from the posts I see in this thread noone thinks there would be a difference in acceleration and braking from solids to spoke wheels?

I would have thought the opposite, but that's why I ask. The wheels aren't much of a percentage of mass of the whole bike but they are rotational mass. I guess they look a lot heavier than they actually are.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Ghost-Faced Doof

Deejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suck
I wonder if the number of spokes make any considerable difference in weight.

Do fewer spokes on a wheel allow for more flex and loosening to occur?

Sorry..... this is probably starting to drift.........

Old 04-10-2008, 05:02 AM
Hangaround

Electric Head has failed to amuse us
Go for it, drift away deejay, I think my question is answered. Puts my mind a little more at ease though, as I have solids on my fatty.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:55 AM
Hangaround

seamonkeyman has failed to amuse us
G'day Electric Head, matey-

I have the profile laced wheels on my luxe. Swapped to FB solids but found them to be a beatch in the Tassie roaring 40's and Furious 50's wind.

It felt to me like the bike did spool up faster when I shifted back to the wire wheels as they are lighter....probably just my imagination...?

One big advantage to solid wheels, is...drum roll please....you can plug it if you pick up a nail or sumpin on the road, but you gotta muck with the tube and pulling the rim on to get going again with the spokes.....

My FB wheels are just sitting in the shed....doubt I will ever run them again unless I go to the mainland for a major, major road trip around OZ & solely for the reason that I can plug and go if I get a puncture.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I love spokes but.......................
Having a flat with a tubed tire is a pita!!!
Strands you on the shoulder.

Somewhere along the line, I'm going to replace my rear spoke
with a tubless rim.

Introducing the Al Gore engine

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker