Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > MotoCamping
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

MotoCamping A forum where we swap campground reviews, trip reports, equipment reviews, bike packing, safety, NF, SF, State and National Park reviews, blahblahblah...

Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Gear Review: Jet Boil stove

I bought one of these at REI and used it for a few years now and really like it. The JetBoil is basically a propane stove with an insulated cooking cup. It packs very small (all parts including the propane canister fit in the cup) and is pretty versatile which is very important to me for motocamping or backpacking. A huge benefit in this stove is that the cooking cup is insulated,... therefore it holds in heat and the water boils very quickly, and, therefore, it uses much less propane.

JetBoil markets it here as a coffee kit, but it can be used for cooking in as well. It does come with a French press to prepare coffee. For breakfast when camping, I usually have a Backpacker's Pantry breakfast or instant oatmeal,... and fresh coffee. Either way, just boil water in the cup and pour into the bag to cook. After that, boil more water, stir in coffee grounds and steep for 5-6 minutes. Push the press down and you have a fantastic cup of very hot fresh coffee.

To minimize packing space and preparation time for coffee at the campsite, I grind the beans at home, premeasure the grounds for each coffee serving and pack each in a ZipLock snack bag. Pack all snack bags in a larger ZipLock bag to keep everything together and avoid spillage.

BTW, I've dealt with JetBoil's customer service before about an igniter issue, and they were fantastic and painless to deal with. They resolved the issue immediately. JetBoil is made in the U.S.A.

Last edited by thrasher; 03-01-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added: "uses much less propane"
Old 03-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Razor

griffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sock
excellent product.packs easy and covers all bases !
Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Double-D

huckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suck
Great product & review, thanks!

gotta have one.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
That is very cool and practical!

I could get away from the hard-boiled eggs and cold beer for camp breakfast.

Greg
Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Just breakin' balls

71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk71baldboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckinfog View Post
Great product & review, thanks!

gotta have one.
Ditto. I'm really liking that.

I wanna live forever...So far so good

Stoney61 is a Demi God

I'm not bald, it's a solar panel for a sex machine!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I've seen the Jet Boil in action on the Mud Bug run last year. It was very impressive and if I was a coffee drinker, I would order one in a heartbeat!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Double-D
Lone Doof

Last Cigar Smoked: Griffin
RoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
I've seen the Jet Boil in action on the Mud Bug run last year. It was very impressive and if I was a coffee drinker, I would order one in a heartbeat!
That is a handy looking device.

I wonder if the Margarator has a comparable model?

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Looks interesting, never tried one but may pic one up and give it a shot. I use the Snow Peak stoves, carry two of these with me on every trip. They use the butane mix and they are flamethrowers. I carefully heat my tent with them too if it gets to cold. Use a metal coffee pot of camp fry to cook when not using the grill.

http://www.rei.com/product/660004

http://www.rei.com/product/668815
Old 03-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
I wonder if the Margarator has a comparable model?
If not, there certainly is a market opportunity

Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Good review, thanks! I am wondering how many uses do you get from the propane canister?

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 03-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Razor

griffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sock
well there's your french press........it heats water so fast you coudd get a long weekend out of one can of fuel.....
Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_tapestry View Post
Good review, thanks! I am wondering how many uses do you get from the propane canister?
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
well there's your french press........it heats water so fast you coudd get a long weekend out of one can of fuel.....
Hard to say how many really but its far far more than I ever expected. It boils water in 2-1/2 minutes. its all about the insulated cup. The insulation is not very thick but you can still pick up the cup of boiling water without the handle without burning yourself.

I kept on bringing extra propane canisters and not need them. I only bring one now but I make sure its a full one. One for 4 days and I had a lot left over in that can.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Looks like a good deal. I've been using an MSR superfly, but it looks like that thing will make a cup of coffee a lot quicker. Might have to look into one.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[