Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place)
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place) Evo's , Shovels, Pans, and anything else...

Old 06-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Lost, and not found

SIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Shovelhead ?

Hi all. Thinking of getting a classic older bike, I really like the 81 - 84 FXWG, or Softail, something with the FXWG type rake.

That said, any suggestions; where to look, best models, what to avoid, price range.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Problem with old Shovelheads is everybody thought they were a mechanic back then and most are FUBAR.
If you can find one that the motor has never been opened up, that would be good.
Never made a Softail Shovel by the way.

Owning a Shovel usually means working on it your self. H-D will not touch one and a lot of Indys will not even touch them anymore unless they have worked on it before. When you open one up for one thing, several other things need fixing and most people do not understand that.

No idea on price, but $7000 for an all original, never been FUBARed Shovel may be good, not sure.

If you want a custom, build one with a shovel motor in it.

You can get a rubber mount in a FLT Road Glide, "80-"84 and a FXRT, "80-"82 I believe. They even had 5 speed transmissions in them.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:26 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
The good indies will work on shovels, that is what they started on. It will cost.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 06-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Just plain Doof

rk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suck
never owned a shovel or Evo went from Panhead to TC88
worked on lots of them though
I like the generator shovels the best.
I would steer clear of any of the 74 nose cone motors unless you know the history of the bike.
Stick with the 80 inch shovels post AMF IMHO
Like LittleBear said who know how boogered up the inside of the motor is because of the people who have wrenched on it.

Psalm 23:4 and the Second Amendment are enough for me.

If you have issue with anything in this post. You can address this by opening a dos prompt and typing
cd C:/
and then type
format C:

What you looking for?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:49 PM
David III

Definitely agree with rk -- 80 inchers, post AMF, hopefully not opened. They'll run ok and (at least for me) not have any hassles. Just ignore the oil seepage, it's fine.
Around here, $6 to $7K would get a clean, mostly stock shovel -- at least from outside appearance. A friend has an 81 bagger he bought new, absolutely stock. No, I have first bid rights on that one! But stuff like that is what I'd look for. Everybody back then was an ace mechanic, like others here have said, and many many shovels are just a mess.
I loved my shovel and really miss it, but now that I have other Harleys, I can say that kind of junk because the other, newer Harleys will start up and run all the time.
Shovels break everything. I used to keep a spare coil mounting bracket in the saddlebag because the bracket would break off so often, like pipe mounts, frame tabs, you name it. My second wife must have pushed my shovel five miles over the time we were married, so I could bump start it when some part of the electrical system went to the toilet.
I've never been as shocked as when I bought my 92 Evo. Nothing happened. Nothing broke. Still doesn't.......
Even so, shovels are just fun and four gears is really all you need!!
Old 06-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul View Post
The good indies will work on shovels, that is what they started on. It will cost.
I did not say they did not know how, only that they did not like to. There experience as of late is finding too many issues once they open one up. Telling the customer what really needs to be fixed but having the customer say, well that was not a problem when I brought it in, just fix the problem I was having. It does not get everything fixed right that needs fixing. Then something else breaks and they try to blame the Indy because it broke in the area he was just working in even though the indy pointed out as a issue but the customer did not want to spend the money to fix it.

As you said, it will cost to have them work on it and get it back together to spec and right.

My indy works on them, but only if he know you well or he has worked on your Shovel before so he knows its condition.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:59 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
My indie is a masochist, he will work on any American Harley. I have seen 45s, knuckles, pans - you name it - and every kind of Frankenstien motor, He loves his work. He is like a kid in a candy store when it comes to Harleys.

If he doesn't like you, he will send you elsewhere. Any mechanic who works on 20 yr old machinery will tell you the same thing, that there could very easily be much more wrong with it and that he won't know until it is opened up.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Moderated

polarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sock
I suppose if anything goes wrong with my restoration shovel, AMF '78 1/2 for you bowling machine addicts, I'll end up taking it down to the local indy here in Wichita. I know a few of have heard of Truett and Osborn, you know, drag racing fame and all. They primarily work on older bikes, no new stuff. There is also an indy about 40 miles from me that works solely on shovelheads and has dyno capabilities in house.

I should be finished with the build in about three weeks or so. Gotta come up with something out of the ordinary for paint.

Kenny olar:

"Great White Pillager and Doof of Kansas"

Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Same as it ever was.

duhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygiene
There's an indie near me, Teaspoon, who won't work on new Harleys, only old motors.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Lost, and not found

SIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSIMPLYCONFUSED is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk custom View Post
never owned a shovel or Evo went from Panhead to TC88
worked on lots of them though
I like the generator shovels the best.
I would steer clear of any of the 74 nose cone motors unless you know the history of the bike.
Stick with the 80 inch shovels post AMF IMHO
Like LittleBear said who know how boogered up the inside of the motor is because of the people who have wrenched on it.

When is "post AMF"?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRANER View Post
When is "post AMF"?
That would be an EVO.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Known Associate

TXCHOP has failed to amuse us
Having worked on a bunch of shovels from time to time.....If buying one, try to find the mechanic that was working on it for the owner(if not owner) and speak to him. If he's honest, most likely he knows the bike inside out.

If properly rebuild/restored..They can be great bikes if maintaned...If not, than i (usually) take my dads advice, "never buy another mans hot rod....."
Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 AM
wibiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRANER View Post
When is "post AMF"?
82's still had a lot of amf parts, 83's still had amf style parts, but owned by HD.

If you have never rode much on a bike of this era, things were different then, be prepared for lots of big wide smiles!

nothing sounds like a shovel with a good exhaust, nothing

also be prepared for some misery along the way, these bike like to be touched, and sometimes they will just leave you sweaty and pissed off along the side of the road.

some of my best adventures started with....broken clutch cable
pulled over by the law for tailight out([U]always[U] have tailight with you.
parts falling off. always have wire with you.
if you have a generator shovel... always have some 14 ga wire with you "just in case"

I could go on too, but since i sold my last shovel...i am looking for another to restore. i cant seem to get over them.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Old married man

vindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
That would be an EVO.
AMF designed the EVO.....oh no.

My 1979 Superglide 1200 went 167,000 miles before it gave up. I mailed Harley about it and they said while unusual to get that many miles it's not unheard of. Thank God for AMF or there probably wouldn't be a Harley today. AMF poured $$$ into a company Harley had run into the ground.
Bottom line is I had a damn good one and hope my TC is nearly as reliable as my Shovel.

Last edited by vindex1963; 06-10-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
AMF designed the EVO.....oh no.
Yep, but they did not build it. The Shovel could be a good motor. AMF quality control and assembly the last few years was really the problem, not the design.

The difference between an EVO and a Shovel is really only the top end. The cases are the same except for a few oil line plugs.
The oil pump is very close and the EVO uses the same type gear drive.
Cast Iron to Aluminum cylinders with sleeves, head design and valve geometry are the only real improvements in the motor.