Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > General Bike Discussions
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Asst public Doofender

Yosamite Sam has failed to amuse us
My new old bike ed 2

My new old bike runs great! Kendall Johnson in Winston-Salem, NC says he likes the EVO engine a lot. Why, because Harley has finally figured out they were losing money with the EVO. That engine will run so long that Harley found it difficult to sell new bikes. So they come up with a new engine that does not allow for replacement of certain components like the EVO so they will have to sell you a new engine instead.

Highmiles and myself will customize my new Dyna with some nice extended forks.
I am very happy with my new purchase. Also, I have no loan to pay and my insurance will be cheaper.

My other new old bike, that runs like a raped ape, has a new Mustang seat and will soon have new American Eagle bags. It will look like a brand new bike and run like one too. Guess what? It may last twice as long or more than y'alls twin cams!

lookin for a 43 DD
Member of Retreads
Retired MSG USAR
NRA Life Member
Gruntled Postal Worker
Old 09-30-2007, 08:11 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
I put 47,000 miles on a 05 Low Rider. The twin cam performed very well. I shaved my mustache off in the early nineties. Don't be such a Doof.

Thorns

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 09-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
What components are not replaceable? I know the wheels/rods are considered non-serviceable by HD, but that does not equal non-replaceable.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto

Last edited by TalonChief; 09-30-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 AM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
There is a reason that most custom builders today are using the Evo.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 09-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul View Post
There is a reason that most custom builders today are using the Evo.
Sure, proven, bugs-worked-out design with a huge aftermarket supply pipe. Give the TC 88/96 design a few more years and I'd wager you'll see the same thing.

Timken conversions, rebuildable wheels, replacement electronics are here and more will all come in time.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 09-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
I think Yosemite was trying to throw out one of Kendall's comments. Right now Kendall is working on a way to sleeve the tappet area when it wears on a TC engine. The way is stands, if you rebuild an '07 or '08 engine, you are looking at NO replaceable lifter blocks, AND crank, and bearing replacement problems. It is at a point, where it is economicly feasable to replace the cases with an S&S, and break even or come out cheaper. Kendall's comment was that the EVO was much easier to rebuild, and most of the horsepower, reliabilty factors are well known.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 09-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Give it time. Actually how many custom builders care about bikes that will go forever? How many miles ever get put on customs?

The evo does have repalceable lifter block, which may be an issue. But I haven't heard of alot of failures, but TC haven't been around that long either.

Builders are using evos cause thats what they know. Once you convert to gears the TC is a very relible motor, IMO.

TC is still somewhat new. Have to wait and see hw long they go, and many times they will be rebuilt.

Last edited by Berserker; 09-30-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Asst public Doofender

Yosamite Sam has failed to amuse us
Yeah, what Highmiles said...

lookin for a 43 DD
Member of Retreads
Retired MSG USAR
NRA Life Member
Gruntled Postal Worker
Old 09-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
If I am remember correctly, Springer claimed that replacing cam bearings, prevernted the lifters from moving and destroying the case in that area.

Good as theory as any.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:30 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
The Evo is a simpler engine, it doesn't have all of the sensors a TC does.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Excommunicated

My carbed bike has map, CPK, ignitiin, coil and TSSM.

I guess time will tell. I suspect 10 years from now EVOs will be like shovels. I see one a week, maybe. Well maybe not drastic. But I think you will see alot less of them.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorns View Post
I I shaved my mustache off in the early nineties. :
Ok,ok, shaved my mustache tonight. Might even cut my hair. The Wild Bill look, just aint coming back.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:55 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Time stands still in Cheeseland. Farve is still at the helm. I hope you get a buck before your wife does this year.

Thorns

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 10-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorns View Post
Time stands still in Cheeseland. Farve is still at the helm. I hope you get a buck before your wife does this year.

Thorns
Not married, OL doesn't deer hunt. Bird dogs.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
TC is still somewhat new. Have to wait and see hw long they go, and many times they will be rebuilt.
The first TC was model year 1999, shouldn't we know something by now? I'm not badmouthing either engine, having no personal experience with the TC, but I really like my Evo. And it is about $1K cheaper to do the Factory rebuild.