Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Hangaround

cuda67bnl has failed to amuse us
Any ideas for this issue?

I could really use some ideas here guys. Bike is a 2001 roadking with the M&M efi, PCiii. I know this is kinda long, but I'm trying to give as many details as possible.

Bike was running just fine on a Friday.

Had the throttle position sensor replaced Saturday morning because I knew it was acting up every now and then, and I was scheduled for a tweak on the dyno the following Tuesday. Had to have the local dealer do the swap because I had no way to read the voltage on the TPS to set it right. Rode the bike home from the dealer and didn't notice any issues, but I had the radio wide open. Followed a friend part way home a few hours later and returned home myself, again with the radio blasting. Hooked the bike up to the computer just to verify the throttle position sensor was working right. Noticed the idle was a little low, so I adjusted it up a bit. Cleaned the trottle body while I had the air cleaner off, and parked the bike for the night.

Next day (Sunday) me and the wife jump on it, get about 4 miles from home, come to a stop at a stop sign and the bike hangs at 2k rpm's. Bike is also decel popping like a muther f*cker. If you roll the throttle hard at idle, the rpm's drop just fine until they get to 2k, then either stick completely, or hang momentarily before settling back to idle. Same thing while gearing down to a stop. Bike isn't idling just right either. It will spit back through the intake every now and then. Turned around and went home to try and diagnose the issue. Can't find anything obvious. Made sure the throttle cables weren't sticking, etc. Also noticed that when you first start it, the idle doesn't raise slightly, then drop back down. Leaves me scratching my head......

Monday I ride back to dealer, tell them the problem. They say it has nothing to do with what they did. They say all they did was set the voltage on the TPS. They blame it on the PCiii. Of course..... I get pissed and walked out. I call and reschedule my dyno appointment for Wednesday, so I have an extra day to try and figure out the problem. No sense in hauling the bike 8 hours if it's f*cked up. My tuner tells me the TPS has to be "in sync" with the PCiii, and that's probably what's wrong.

Tuesday morning I ride it to another delaer. It's cold as hell outside, temp is around 40*. Bike runs really good on the way there. Doesn't seem to be decel popping very bad, and I don't remember the rpm's sticking like before. Asked the dealer to hook it up to the digitech and check that the TPS was set right by the first dealer. They said the voltage was right, and there were no codes showing. Bike runs so-so on the way home. Not as good as on the way there, but better than the day before. I load it up and drive to Florida that afternoon.

Wednesday morning my dad and I make the hour ride to the tuner's. Bike is decel popping like hell, idle spits every now and then, and the rpm's are hanging again. Tuner puts it on Dyno, adds gobs of fuel to the the map and cures the decel pop. But he had to add WAY more fuel than should have been added. The bike was already tuned from last year, so he shouldn't have had to make any changes there anyway. It hangs at 2k rpm's on the dyno, and he checks for an intake leak. There is a slight leak. I take it for a test ride and decel pops are pretty much gone, but it hangs at 2k rpm way worse than before. He tells me my IAC is acting up, and that my cold idle needs to be adjusted. He also tells me that everything is "in sync", but that PC's are notorious for changing themselves over time.....

Dad and I leave, and do some riding the rest of the day. Every time I come to a stop, the rpm's want to hang at 2k. The only way to get them to drop is to ease the clutch out in gear while holding the brake. Basically bogging the bike down. I load the bike back up that night, and head back home.

Since I came home, I fixed the slight intake leak. I also put the original map back in. Bike is decel popping like hell again, spits at idle every now and then, and still hangs just a little at 2k rpm's. I've disonnected the PCiii, and the bike still spits at idle, and still acts like it wants to hang a bit. Revving it up I still get a bit of decel popping that I'm sure would be worse if I was actually riding it. My motor is so far from stock that I haven't bothered trying to ride it without the PCiii. I know it's not gonna run right without it. When first started up, the bike still doesn't idle up slightly like it used to, then settle down. So I disconnected the IAC while it was running. This is supposed to fool the bike into thinking it's cold, and the rpms should jump up. The idle doesn't change at all. I'm pretty sure the AIC is related to the throttle position sensor, right?

All this started the day after the TPS was changed, so my first thought was that the problem was related to that. And it may still be. I had a second dealer (supposedly) confirm the settings were right, so now I'm not so sure it's related. I could really use some ideas here. I can't afford to just start throwing parts at it, and I really don't want to take it to a dealer and pay them to diagnose something that they can't find..... I'm almost ready to just convert the damn thing to a carb. I know the M&m system has a bad rap, but mine has been flawless up til now. If it's something easliy fixed, I'd just as soon keep it. But if it's gonna cost a bunch of money and end up with me needing another dyno tune, I'll just go with a carb and not have this issue again down the road.

Any ideas?

The consequence of conscience, is that you'll be left somewhere........ swinging in the air.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It does sound like the IAC is screwed up some.

The other things to check are fuel pressure and check the wires to the injectors. I had one that had a kink (from a break inside the coating) and intermittantly it would cause some screwy things to happen.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
You have to reset the hot and cold idle anytime you mess with the TPS on MM fuel injection. If you only set one it will act all screwy.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 04-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Hangaround

Someone told me how to check the TPS voltage without the harley breakout box. Seems I found the problem. The voltages were definitely off. I did some tweaking a little while ago, and made some huge improvements. Wife and I just went for a short ride. It's much better now. Bike idles much better, with no spitting back. Very little decel pop, and doesn't do it constantly like before. It definitely seems the problem was in the voltage settings and the idle adjustments. I'll run through the complete procedure tomorrow, and hopefully get it perfect, but right now it's time for a beer or 3. Today is my b-day, and getting this thing figured out was the perfect present.

The consequence of conscience, is that you'll be left somewhere........ swinging in the air.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Well Happy Birthday then!

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Hand Wringer

FinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Welcome from North Texas.
Time to join up with us. Ya think?

*Sensitive at all times.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Happy Birthday!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Hangaround

cheers, guys!
Now it's time to go play with the wife.....

Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk

Kimber

Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Happy Birthday!!

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Holy shit....the new guy talks alot.
Don't ask him what time it is, He'll prolly
tell you how to build a watch.

By the way, Happy Birthday, cuda dude.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Keeper of Slivowitz

Heidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Hey Cuda, I didn't read your whole post but looked at the sig picture. So they make those hard saddlebags also for Softails? Gotta have me some to protect the bottles with spirit...
Old 04-12-2011, 12:45 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Gunworks View Post
Hey Cuda, I didn't read your whole post but looked at the sig picture. So they make those hard saddlebags also for Softails? Gotta have me some to protect the bottles with spirit...
That's not a Softail, but there are a couple companies that make brackets to mount touring hard bags on Softails.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 04-12-2011, 06:02 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Good Colorado Cigar
Git Real stays crunchy even in milkGit Real stays crunchy even in milkGit Real stays crunchy even in milkGit Real stays crunchy even in milkGit Real stays crunchy even in milkGit Real stays crunchy even in milkGit Real stays crunchy even in milkGit Real stays crunchy even in milkGit Real stays crunchy even in milkGit Real stays crunchy even in milkGit Real stays crunchy even in milk
Happy Birthday! Glad you got your sweetheart taken care of. Your bike deserves it.....

Sherlyn Popelka, DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive, Golf A clearinghouse for Sherlyn Popelka information. After running down one of our own (Gordito), she fled to Switzerland to avoid prosecution.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Pompous Prick

Last Cigar Smoked: Punch maduro
Slick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Gunworks View Post
He is kinda wordy, huh?

Curt