Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 12-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Torque wrenches

This whole question came into my mind while trying to decide between getting an old wrench cal'd versus purchasing a new one. I'm looking for some input on brand quality (stability, repeatability, durability, overall quality) vs. cost.

Would also appreciate some input on wrench style--click vs. dial vs. electronic load cell. My experience on aircraft tells me that dial-type wrenches are usually used in very high torque areas or where very precise readings are required, but that's purely anecdotal.

And I know Snap-on is at/near the top, but as a relative shade-tree, I can't really amortize the cost of a $300 wrench that I might use a few times a year at best.

I currently have a couple of Craftsman clickers, 50-250 in-lb and 10-250 ft-lb, and a 0-250 ft-lb beam style. The ft-lb clicker is 22 years old and I am positive it is out of cal--it's been dropped a few times . This particular wrench is the genesis of the original question.

On another, but similar note; anyone ever use a torque multiplier when installing a compensator nut? Seems like this handy, albeit really expensive, tool would cut back a little on the need to wear a truss after performing this installation.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 12-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
On another, but similar note; anyone ever use a torque multiplier when installing a compensator nut? Seems like this handy, albeit really expensive, tool would cut back a little on the need to wear a truss after performing this installation.

No, just bought a reeeeealllly long breaker bar. Still have ta grunt and puff, but the comp nut isn't something thats done every other week.

Well............. maybe for most folks, but for those of us in the "Can't leave well enough alone club..."

Meng

TKWSV

Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Under Construction

TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post

No, just bought a reeeeealllly long breaker bar. Still have ta grunt and puff, but the comp nut isn't something thats done every other week.

Well............. maybe for most folks, but for those of us in the "Can't leave well enough alone club..."
The idea came to me when I saw a multiplier in a thrift shop the other day. 25:1 reduction seems like it would make easy work of a comp nut.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 12-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Under Construction

bump
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 12-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
My tq wrench doesn't go high enough for comp nut either. I used the same cheater bar I tokit off with. Stayed on for 20k miles. But I will probably be taking off this winter. So not sure if I will buy one or not. Other then comp nut I have neverr needed one that goes that high. I have couple craftsman, one inches one feet.

I am not recomending a damn thing.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:09 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
I've used planetary gear set torque multipliers, but not for comp nuts. They work fine, but they need to be calibrated as well. Our brand new multiplier with a 4:1 gear set came from Snap-on with a tag stating 3.78:1 after frictional losses. It calibrated at 3.73:1.

Engine by Otto.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Known Associate

Friday1 has failed to amuse us
I mechaniced for a big city fire dept for 30 years, and ran the annual ladder tests. Evcery other year all the bolts had to be torqued and I used a multiplier. Some went to 660 ft. lbs! You just have to keep the multiplier lubed and check for worn or broken parts. It should state on the tool what the factor is you multiply by. In the bike shop I used a Snap-On electric but it got used alot. You are right that it is a tall price to pay if you are just using it occasionaly. Shop around to find someone to calibrate your old tool. Maybe do a search online. I have had Snap-On torque wrenches that were obsolete in two years and there were no parts to repair them! Not so with the electric ones so far.
On the comp nut, after you do torque it, take the clutch drum and try to turn it like a steering wheel by the starter ring gear. Watch the crank end area to see if the comp nut moves and the crank stays still. If it does, you need a thicker shim in there. ALso make sure the crank threads and comp threads are surgically clean. Then apply red locktite. Let it set overnight to get the full locking effect. Make damn sure you remove the plastic "ramp" that keeps the chain from turning! I saw one that the tech in a MOCO shop had left it in there and when the customer hit the starter it was not pretty. Hope this helps. Friday
Old 12-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday1 View Post
Shop around to find someone to calibrate your old tool. Maybe do a search online.
There is a place here in town. Last time I talked to them it was $25 regardless of whether the wrench ultimately cal'd or not.

Quote:
On the comp nut, after you do torque it, take the clutch drum and try to turn it like a steering wheel by the starter ring gear. Watch the crank end area to see if the comp nut moves and the crank stays still. If it does, you need a thicker shim in there. ALso make sure the crank threads and comp threads are surgically clean. Then apply red locktite. Let it set overnight to get the full locking effect.
I have an 06. I'd be surprised if I needed a shim, but I'll certainly check it while everything is apart.

Quote:
Make damn sure you remove the plastic "ramp" that keeps the chain from turning! I saw one that the tech in a MOCO shop had left it in there and when the customer hit the starter it was not pretty. Hope this helps. Friday

I have one of the steel bars that goes from clutch basket to compensator. Last time I did this particular job, I used an old screwdriver handle.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 12-01-2007, 11:17 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
I bought a set of craftsman torque wrenches (similar to the ones you have, Chief) a couple years ago. Had a buddy that worked the flight like take them and check the calibration, all of them were spot on, believe it or not. Now I just have to keep from dropping them........

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:59 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
mine too

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 12-02-2007, 01:17 AM
The Cisco Kid

Last Cigar Smoked: Backwoods Mild - Honey Berry
TJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Based on your amortization schedule, which is a very good way to think about such a tool, I would recommend getting your ol' faithful cal'd. Unless you think it is beyond holding a calibration.

Unless you go big name, I have always heard you should get them checked.

I just borrow one from my AF buddies when I need one. They buy Matco and Snap-on in the hanger where I work. I can't justify buying one at this point in the game. In my Jeepin days, somebody always had one on hand.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
If you actually use it, faitfully, you got to have something. Tire changes, oil changes, if you want to be accurate there is always something to use it on.

How accurate is mine, dunno. I have tried using both of them on the same bolt. 1/2 assed way to check. As far as paying $25, hell a new Craftsman one is around 70 and can get them on sale for 60. I amnot sure where I could even take mine. Though eventaully I would like to.