Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > General Bike Discussions
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:45 AM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Loss of oil pressure, trouble changing oil filter

Getting the bagger ready for Fennimore and had a few issues. When I last changed the oil filter I had to loosen the regulator to take out the oil filter. It's the first time I changed the oil on a bagger so I thought it may be normal. It turns out the front motor mount was broken. The new style mount is now installed.

The bike was losing oil pressure at idle when the oil temp was between 110° and 180° F. The culprit was a stuck bypass valve in the cam plate. I'm pretty sure it was debris from the chain tensioners.

18K miles and the outer was worn down to the lip. Not beyond but right there. New chains, tensioners. I didn't have Otto clean the bypass valve. He installed a new cam plate with the hi-flow oil pump. Now I have 45 psi at 3,000 rpm instead of 32. We dropped the pan and cleaned out all the debris, drained the crankcase to flush as much debris from there as possible.

New rear tire. It was getting time and it made it easier to take the pan out with the rear wheel off.

The Rinehart true duals are on. and a Twinscan tune is in.

I think I'm ready to go.

Engine by Otto.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

hornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know

It was rainin' pretty hard yesterday.... could ya tell anything about how much of a difference things made?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:18 AM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
I couldn't get the oil very hot. Never made it to 180° on the gage.

Got to ride through three flooded out spots in the road.

Got to the last one and stopped, looked across the 500' flooded section, it was running fast but only a couple inches deep if I stayed near the shoulder. A mini van going the other direction stoppped so I thought he was going to be polite and let me go first. I got about 100' into it and he decided to go. It was too deep on his side of the road so he decided to use most of my lane. I could have touched the damn thing on the way by.

There's a lot more pressure there.

There's new pipes too, but it was running really lean through most of the map. I could have and would have normally taken more than 4 rides to tune the thing. With the weather I was getting kind of anxious to get it home. On the last ride all of the areas where I'll normally be riding looked pretty good. We changed only a few cells in the higher rpm's at 60% throttle and a few cells in the higher rpm's at 0 throttle.

Engine by Otto.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:27 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

hornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMiller View Post
I couldn't get the oil very hot. Never made it to 180° on the gage.

Got to ride through three flooded out spots in the road.

Got to the last one and stopped, looked across the 500' flooded section, it was running fast but only a couple inches deep if I stayed near the shoulder. A mini van going the other direction stoppped so I thought he was going to be polite and let me go first. I got about 100' into it and he decided to go. It was too deep on his side of the road so he decided to use most of my lane. I could have touched the damn thing on the way by.

Can you say A$$hat? I knew you could... #$%!@ #@!%&

There's a lot more pressure there.

Cool...............

There's new pipes too, but it was running really lean through most of the map. I could have and would have normally taken more than 4 rides to tune the thing. With the weather I was getting kind of anxious to get it home. On the last ride all of the areas where I'll normally be riding looked pretty good. We changed only a few cells in the higher rpm's at 60% throttle and a few cells in the higher rpm's at 0 throttle.

Well the rest of the week is supposed to be beautiful, so hopefully you'll get to check it out better!

Old 09-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Holy Crap, Terry.

Sorry that damn chain and tensioner thing got ya.WTF is w/H-D engineering on that deal any how?

She outta pull darn strong now!

See ya up at Fennimore.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Wow that sucks. The bike didn't even have that many miles on it, when DJ sold it

The cam chains are sure a cap shoot. You just can't seem to predict when. Which is pretty odd. Whats the big variable? How smooth or rough the chain is?

Did you go gear? Check crank run out?
Old 09-14-2008, 10:27 AM
GazintA

Quote:
Originally Posted by d j View Post
Holy Crap, Terry.

Sorry that damn chain and tensioner thing got ya.WTF is w/H-D engineering on that deal any how?

She outta pull darn strong now!

See ya up at Fennimore.
Ya will. What are your plans for Thursday. We're trying to decide whether to hurry up there or not.

We could leave early and take the direct route. We could head out 30 to near Clinton and take 84 up the river into Wisconsin and follow the river up to Prairie Du Chien and then over. That'd put us at Poopy's for lunch and Fennimore at dinner time.

The tensioner is a hit or miss thing. Darlene's starting to ride a little so I wanted it checked. For some reason I thought the inner tensioner always wore more. On this one it was the outer tensioner that was worn much more than the inner. Otto says that's what he's always seen.

Now I have more oil flow and that has to help. The good news for the TC96 engine owners is they already have the high flow pump.

Engine by Otto.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
18K miles and the outer was worn down to the lip. Not beyond but right there. New chains, tensioners. I didn't have Otto clean the bypass valve. He installed a new cam plate with the hi-flow oil pump. Now I have 45 psi at 3,000 rpm instead of 32. We dropped the pan and cleaned out all the debris, drained the crankcase to flush as much debris from there as possible.
Did you go with the new 96" style with the hydraulic tensioners? I sure it works. So far I haven't heard anything bad.

Did it qute the engine down? My 96" seems quiter, I was wondering if that was the reason. Higehr flow of oil.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:01 AM
GazintA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Did you go with the new 96" style with the hydraulic tensioners? I sure it works. So far I haven't heard anything bad.

Did it qute the engine down? My 96" seems quiter, I was wondering if that was the reason. Higehr flow of oil.
I didn't have time to get the new style tensioner upgrade.

My hearing's so bad I can't hear the engine noise anyway. It sounded quiet before with the 203's.

Engine by Otto.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Excommunicated

Could you have went to gear? Money or run out make you decide on staying with same set up, or is this what he had on hand?

Like I said I sure hope the new style works. Doc seems to think so, he got kinda pissy, when I said they haven't been around that long. So hopefully thats a good sign.

Last edited by Berserker; 09-14-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Ya will. What are your plans for Thursday. We're trying to decide whether to hurry up there or not.

We could leave early and take the direct route. We could head out 30 to near Clinton and take 84 up the river into Wisconsin and follow the river up to Prairie Du Chien and then over. That'd put us at Poopy's for lunch and Fennimore at dinner time.

The tensioner is a hit or miss thing. Darlene's starting to ride a little so I wanted it checked. For some reason I thought the inner tensioner always wore more. On this one it was the outer tensioner that was worn much more than the inner. Otto says that's what he's always seen.

Now I have more oil flow and that has to help. The good news for the TC96 engine owners is they already have the high flow pump.
We'll probably just mess around on some of the county roads Thursday.Might as well make a scenic ride out of it and enjoy the ride up!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:18 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Quote:
I didn't have time to get the new style tensioner upgrade.

My hearing's so bad I can't hear the engine noise anyway. It sounded quiet before with the 203's.
What?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

I never heard any unusual noise out of it.The 203 cams were put in with the 95 stg 2 upgrade.

I actually think the 08 is noisier,esp with that primary? howl.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Excommunicated

I don't think I have a primary howl.

I don't have the TC tick so much. When it was new it was very quite, it seems a little louder now. Is that wear, syn , I dunno
Old 09-14-2008, 03:25 PM
GazintA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Could you have went to gear? Money or run out make you decide on staying with same set up, or is this what he had on hand?

Like I said I sure hope the new style works. Doc seems to think so, he got kinda pissy, when I said they haven't been around that long. So hopefully thats a good sign.
I went with what I could get at the harley dealer. There was no time to have anything shipped and then do all the work before Wednesday. As it was I went to Otto's Friday with the front motor mount. He had everything buttoned up as much as it could be by the time I got there. By the time we got the pipes tightened, seat on and he put the pushrods in it was 8:30.

Engine by Otto.