Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place)
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place) Evo's , Shovels, Pans, and anything else...

Old 06-14-2007, 08:07 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Found 2 Allens

While making repairs on V's Shovel yesterday, we found 2 Allen bolts missing from the back chain sprocket. The other 3 were loose-not good! The vibration shakes everything loose at higher RPM's. Gonna go pick up a set today and use locktite this time...

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
If you can add lock washers also. Manual says red for the sprocket blots on my Heritage, but my brother only uses blue on his Shovel's rear sprocket. He has never had an issue.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Jams

Wow,,,how long have they been on that sprocket?

Seems like there is something more than vibration going on.

Were they a fine thread or course thread with lock nuts?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:13 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Thanx littlebear. I noticed the bolts were a little short and didn't go all the way threw the Nylocks.

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:38 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

I think they are course thread with nylocks. Been on there about a year at least!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:40 AM
GrayRider

Oh,..Allens....I thought you said that you found two aliens. Carry on.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynageno View Post
I think they are course thread with nylocks. Been on there about a year at least!
I would replace all of the bolts. The ones that were loose were stressed and worn I am sure. Get ones long enough to have at least 2 threads sticking out the other side of the nylock nuts. Make sure they are Grade 8 bolts, most allens are. Do not use stainless steel.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:56 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayRider View Post
Oh,..Allens....I thought you said that you found two aliens. Carry on.
Well gray, they could have been Alien Allen's!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Jams

I saw after I posted that that you said it didn't look like the threads went all the way into the nylocks.

It sure would be valuable to know if they sheared off from being stressed by being over torqued or just rattled loose and fell off.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Excommunicated

Oh, and if you can find some with a unthreaded section to go through the sprocket section into the hub, that is good. Threads reduce the shear stress a bolt can handle.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

They weren't sheared, maybe too short though! She did say she felt a vibration a couple of weeks ago in the rear of her bike! I bet that was it!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Excommunicated

Next time she feels a unusual vibration on that bike Geno, stop and inspect it. Shovels shake stuff off, especially if you ride them over 3k RPM.
Shock bolts, fender strut bolts, sprocket bots, all can come loose and cause problems. Take care of that woman would you. She takes care of you.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:07 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

Well if she quit riding at 85 miles an hour, things wouldn't shake off! It runs good at 75, any more and it gets a steady vibration. But I'll check it out next time...

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynageno View Post
Well if she quit riding at 85 miles an hour, things wouldn't shake off! It runs good at 75, any more and it gets a steady vibration. But I'll check it out next time...
Well, if you took care of her, maybe she would not need that steady vibration at 85 so often. No wonder she does not want to sell that Shovel.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

Ouch, low blow man!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Original Cat Herder KC.