Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Seats, Saddles, Pillions, Backrests, Luggage Racks & Paks
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Reworking a Corbin Dual Tour Seat

Has anyone delt with Corbin Co. to have a seat reworked?Good/Bad?dj

Old 01-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
you gonna get yours redone DJ ?

what are you gonnna have done to it ?

My new Corbin is 'On Order' ........... hope I don't need to have it 're-done' ......... but I did see that in there warranty statements ..............

re-done once at no cost (cept shipping) ........ they will re-do it after that too ...... at your cost.

I'll be interested in hearing about your experience with them on this matter ......... Please keep us posted !

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by d j View Post
Has anyone delt with Corbin Co. to have a seat reworked?Good/Bad?dj
Talk to Gus at the Hollister facility... they reworked mine... its free if its the first rework... most people don't know that.

I love what they did to mine.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Talk to Gus at the Hollister facility... they reworked mine... its free if its the first rework... most people don't know that.

I love what they did to mine.
Thanks 8,will do.dj

Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr4mikey View Post
you gonna get yours redone DJ ?

what are you gonnna have done to it ?

My new Corbin is 'On Order' ........... hope I don't need to have it 're-done' ......... but I did see that in there warranty statements ..............

re-done once at no cost (cept shipping) ........ they will re-do it after that too ...... at your cost.

I'll be interested in hearing about your experience with them on this matter ......... Please keep us posted !
Two things: 1)at the rear of the drivers portion the seat makes a slope upwards.This causes my pelvis to rotate down and you constantly end up in a slouch position...even w/the back rest.I want it squared off like Goldwing or 2008 Corbin FLHT seats.

7)This is my 4th Corbin seat(so I get how they work)however,brick is the only term I can come up with.It's been on for 7k mikes and is broken in.My seat is the smooth leather,not pleated.I thought the stitching for the pleats would hold moisture or allow moisture under the leather in rain.I miss the feel they had when they still used that thin gel under the leather.

So we'll see what happens.dj

Old 01-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

Welp,got off the phone with some ding dong(not Guss as 8 suggested).He said it didn't sound like much could be done and it would cost $200.OK........................................... I'm gonna weigh my options.May sell it on e-bay,get 75 cents on the dollar back and tray a Rick Mayer saddle.Maybe a local Chicago guy can rework it?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by d j View Post
Welp,got off the phone with some ding dong(not Guss as 8 suggested).He said it didn't sound like much could be done and it would cost $200.OK........................................... I'm gonna weigh my options.May sell it on e-bay,get 75 cents on the dollar back and tray a Rick Mayer saddle.Maybe a local Chicago guy can rework it?
1) are you the original owner ?
2) did you buy the saddle from Corbin directly ?
3) has the saddle been reworked by Corbin previously ?

if the answers are
yes
yes
no

then I don't understand why it would cost 200

what was the reason they gave you for the cost of 200 ?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:48 PM
The Dahv

What exactly is done when you get a seat reworked? I have no experience with Corbins. I've got a Mustang seat on my ride and love the hell out of it.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 PM
The Cisco Kid

Last Cigar Smoked: Backwoods Mild - Honey Berry
TJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dahv View Post
What exactly is done when you get a seat reworked? I have no experience with Corbins. I've got a Mustang seat on my ride and love the hell out of it.
From my research there are a couple options. Sometimes the foam is simply cut/reshaped, reinserted. Other guys add that Nasa foam or gel inserts and recover. I found a shop that has really good prices on reworking your stock seat.

I looked into it when I had the Nightster.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dahv View Post
they pull the cover off of it ......

reshape the foam .... cut it narrower in the front, change the angle of slant, make it deeper .... sometimes put different foam (softer usually) and try to adjust the fit according to the owners desires. Then put the cover back on it ...........

it just occurred to me ..... I have read in the Corbin lit that sometimes a re-work will have to have a 'NEW' COVER on it. If that is the case, then the owner will have to pay for the cover ...... everything else is covered in the 'one time free re-work'

Old 01-08-2008, 04:21 PM
The Dahv

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal, especially if they work with you to get the feel you want in your seat.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

Quote:
they pull the cover off of it ......

reshape the foam .... cut it narrower in the front, change the angle of slant, make it deeper .... sometimes put different foam (softer usually) and try to adjust the fit according to the owners desires. Then put the cover back on it ...........

it just occurred to me ..... I have read in the Corbin lit that sometimes a re-work will have to have a 'NEW' COVER on it. If that is the case, then the owner will have to pay for the cover ...... everything else is covered in the 'one time free re-work'
I'm the original owner.It was never reworked before and i bought it straight from Corbin.

Thats what the $200 is for,a new leather cover.The guy I was talking to basically suggested selling the current saddle on eBay and ordering a new one "with the mods I want"I'm gonna mull it over.

As far as the hardness issue,I have a smooth leather cover.If it was "pleated" it would have some softer foam to make up the pleats right under the cover.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Buffalo Hump

DJ ......... I know you've had 4 Corbin saddles now .....

from an overall ride perspective .... from reading your posts... it sounds like you are saying that for whatever reason, this saddle is HARDER than any of the other Corbins you've had .... is that right ?

You were happy with all the other ones that you had ?

Mines on order

Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Buffalo Hump

I considered the Corbin Dual Tour for my bike. However the difference in the measurements between that and the Gunfighter and Lady weren't that much different. Especially in the drivers seat. the passenger was quite a lot different .... but the OL and I discussed this at length and I was off to order the seat for ME, not for the two of us.

So I went with the Gunfighter and Lady, 100 clams less money, and from the pics that I could get on their site, I like the looks of this better than the Dual Tour....... in the pics it looks like the gunfighter has a deeper bucket for the driver ......
well, I'll know in 2-3 more weeks ................

Old 01-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

Quote:
DJ ......... I know you've had 4 Corbin saddles now .....

from an overall ride perspective .... from reading your posts... it sounds like you are saying that for whatever reason, this saddle is HARDER than any of the other Corbins you've had .... is that right ?

You were happy with all the other ones that you had ?

Mines on order
Absolutely!dj