Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Handlebars, Grips, Cables...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I was thinking about getting a Deutsch crimper, figured I would do it up to $30. Ha. I though it would be common, and maybe it is. Some sites got them for a few hundred. Ebay has some for $50 just not sure what type I need. I pay just try prying the end off off the wire I am pulling out of the harnes and crimping it back on to a new one, using a little screwdriver and dap of solder. Would have been nice to be able to make up conenctors.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Its not a deutsch connector. After studying the pictures for a hour, I found a pic in the multilock section. I then refrered to the instrutions, that said t go to app B2, and then go MULTILCK CONN. The crank sensor I replaced was a MAP a deutsch. maybe thats more critical.

Not sure of the multi lock can be bought any where. Gonna bring the wire to radio shack, if I leave the house before they close.

Now for the fun part. If I choose to it right and insert the heater on the bike side of harness. I am gonna have topul that pin out with about 2" of room between tank and fairing. bastards.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Excommunicated

I am thinking of running the ground the frame or such. That will open up a spot in the conenctor, so I can have hi/lo. There are no spare slots in the connector.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Crimp AND soldered terminals give the best results.

Ground to the frame will work.There is one just behind the headlamp area i've used for add ons.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Excommunicated

Gonna get a seperate 2 pin conenctor for this, and not use the factory. Leave that alone. I cur the wires off acc switch. Will take the hot and run that to new switch, plus the hi/lo wires from the new connector, and then run ground to behind the neck.

The switch is the thing to think about. Either try to make the one they supplied fitr in the slot or see if I can find something nicer looking that will fit. The one they supplied does fill beefy. But its just plain toggle switch, kinda ugly, plus have to fit in the cap. I may do some thing temp to finish yp the year. Temps, means 2 yeaers from now, will still be there.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Excommunicated

Radio shack was a waste of time. Now connectors and no switches that worked. Went to Fleet Farm too. its hard to find On/off/on switches.

I think I am just gonna put stakons on the back of the switch, and go directly to the heaters. Those will pull off easy enough. I would it it be easy to remver the fairing cap. The it is now, you just un plug the harness and it seperates.

A slick spot might be under the seat, in front of the battery. Drill a hole. Withthe fatcat this areas is especially nice and open. I already broke the acc switch. I have heard Harley wants $50 for this stupid little switch. Don't know if thats true. If so what a croc, for just a flimsy switch.

Eventually I will go talk to a dealer, maybe they got a switch that works. Maybe off a police bike?

Last edited by Berserker; 10-26-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Excommunicated

Test ride toniight 41, after dark, 25 minutes. First few minutes in town, got warm. Highway and then interstate. Had them on high. Was gettting kidna uncomfortable, but also liked it, when its cold out.

Lost my ignition lock, I started doubting my sanity, or would have been done on Sunday. Had to pull the battery cableoff to turn the bike off.

Install and pics to follow. Wasn't as pretty as I hoped. Little redneck.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Excommunicated

The switch isn't pretty. But it is heavy duty. I was gonna use the acc switch, but I played with it until I broke it.

I think this would work good on a Road King. But the switch may hit the tank, and need to be cut.

A black washer might help.Powder coat the switch housing? Not sure if you can get it apart. The het would melt insulation, so have to disassemble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heater switch resize.JPG (84.3 KB, 5 views)