Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:20 AM
MOOSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbean View Post
We're in the same boat Moose. I have the rev perf 98 with over 5K miles on it and was just about to post the same question. I'm glad you thought of boroscoping the cylinders. I didn't think of that and I have access to a boroscope. In your quest to scope your cylinders, take your bike to the general aviation area of Sky Harbor airport or go to a smaller county airport and find a hangar where some A&P's are working and ask them if they would hook you up. Take a spark plug socket with you and do it on the spot. It's an easy task.

I have not been reading all the dreaded posts regarding this subject because it pisses me off. I wonder how many of these set ups are running and what the failure rate is???????
You know I had given up finding a motorcycle shop that had one as everywhere I called yesterday either never had them or didn't replace them once they broke as the scopes are expensive and didn't see much use. But I'd bet in aviation they use them all the time as part of their routine and req'd pm. Furthermore I've got a friend who has his own helicopter business only about 2 miles from here. Good suggestion, I'll be seeing that friend this evening.

The failure rate is a very good question. That is the part that got me going. If these cylinders had been used by HD or any other manufacturer as part of the OEM motor, I'm guessing the failure rate would well exceed the threshold to generate a recall. The VTF and Doof community is a pretty small one really and look how many failures are being reported here alone. How many guys on the other forums are having trouble? How many riders who never check out or post on the forums are having the same trouble? It would be very interesting to know.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:21 AM
MOOSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkvator View Post
cutting open the oil filter/getting an oil analysis might tell you something...?
Look for shiny stuff in the filter eh? Another good suggestion, filters are cheap.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I've been to Revperf shops its fairly big. There were rows and rows of cylnders. Thats why I trouble with this. If what we are seeing here is an acurate sample, he would be out of buisness. Part of the problem is you don't always know what failed. Excessive run out? Builder? Not all are pros.

I asked Steve what I should jet to, he told me a # smaller then stock. I said thats smaller. No no. I just did one. Then he tells me my manual is a misprint and that the dealer jetted. Possible on the dealer. But I don't think the manual is a misprint. Specially when I read up on jetting everyon else had that.

But if I would have listed to him, would have put a jet smaller then stock, in 98". Leaned it out and toasted.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
As for rebuild. Go with bored 95" Tried and true tons and tons of them out there. We have yet to see if the bored 98" is gonna hold up. They told us how good the nikal sil was too. Do you wanna be a guinna pig twice?
Old 03-15-2008, 06:45 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
I can attest to the 95". Mine is fine so far.

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynageno View Post
I can attest to the 95". Mine is fine so far.
Same thing with my 98" knock on wood. I got to quit opening this threads. Maybe go to barn and see what my old ones look like. I wanted to put them on in my basement base someday.