Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
)^*)*@$#^&))&%$* plastic fuel lines ^&_)$%$**(^#

As noted in the thread about installing the new HID light, it was not without incident.

I decided to run new hot and ground leads directly back to the battery. To do so, I need to feed the wires (in their protective sleeve) just under the top of the gas tank, along side the backbone. While I did not want to go through the hassle of completely removing the tank, I know I would need to provide for a 'little wiggle room'.

I removed the rear and front tank bolts along with the wiring connections at the instrument panel and the overflow tube. I started to wiggle the tank to get just a little bit of clearance and almost immediately begin to smell gasoline. I look down and there is gas running out from under the middle of the tank. Upon further investigation, it becomes apparent that the fuel line has separated/broken at the throttle body. I quickly stuff a the shaft of a phillips head in the hose to stop the leak (yah, I now know, the disconnect at the tank end has a fuel stop assby). I remove the hose from the tank connector and the broken connector fitting from the throttle body. Turns out the connector at the throttle body is a molded piece of plastic that has a ribbed nipple at one end that fits into the rubber hose that runs between the two connectors. The nipple had separated from the main body of the connector but not like it had been 'snapped' off but more like a disintegration or fatigue break. I'm thinking "No surprise" what with the engine heat in that area as well as the issues with ethanol. Dealer is closed for the day so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I've got a commitment the next day so I send the BH to the dealer with the model/year/EFI etc. info to get a new fuel line. Parts guy tells her the part is $139. She says not what she or I were expecting and she will have to call me. Now, I know HD parts are for the most part a giant rip-off but this is ridiculous. Asked if she gave him the info I wrote down and she says yes. Next thing you know, guy says "Oh! Wait a minute, I made a mistake." Turns out it was a $100 mistake.

When I get the new fuel line, I immediately notice that the connector at the throttle body end is different and the end is now metal with a crimped fitting into a braided hose. Talked with Warren about this and he said that's the way his always was. Got me to wondering if they hadn't gone to the plastic fitting to save money and then had to return to the original due to failures.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Scabby, those are a pain in the ass on cars/trucks also.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I think your tuner stole your good one and sold it to feed his PBJ habit.
Probably got the one that was on there off a H0nda.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
BTW.............a big thanks to Warren for talking me off the ledge and through the swamp.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Well, better this way than in the middle of nowhere right?

I mean people don't usually check fuel lines occasionally like they do tires...

Oops.

Greg