Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Wheels & Tires
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Hangaround

ffatboy03 has failed to amuse us
Rear sprocket bolts

I just got some new wheels for my 03 Fatboy. I have the chrome sprocket cover with chrome bolts on the old one which I will need to remove and put on the new. Is it safe to reuse the chrome bolts. How much and what # red loctite do I need to put on them? Thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Manual will tell you how to put sprocket on.

*****Editted for safety sake.

Last edited by Berserker; 05-27-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
In a thread on a different forum, a guy related how the sprocket bolts all sheared off on his brother's bike. Turns out that the bolts aren't supposed to be reused, something about stretch and torque... Another aspect of it is the chroming process makes metal brittle. I bet the bolts are not so expensive that a guy would need to risk it.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:20 AM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
+1 what Bluetoys said. I know of two instances of such failure and would recommend new, OEM fasteners.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:55 AM
R.I.P.
you know better...

mongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Are you sure about RED Loctite? I haven't checked the book, but I know for sure that RED is meant for parts that are not intended to be disassembled...ever. El Permanente.

BLUE Loctite (242, I think) is semi-permanent, i.e. parts can be disassembled with enough force.

Agree with Matt on stretch and torque fatiguing bolts...compared to the cost of a rim, new bolts are nothing.

So long for now RedRider

Nine-mile skid, on a ten-mile ride,
Hot as a pistol but cool inside.
Like I told ya, what I said,
Steal your face right off your head.

1965------2006

Old 05-27-2009, 05:27 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
06 Manual says use red (271) and new bolts every 3 cycles.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Hmmm...

Serg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sockSerg06 doesn't need a tube sock
Bolts are bolts. Clean off the locktite and run them again.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
we reuse the cylinder stud bolts ... they are designed to be stretched and torqued ....... I don't hear folks saying that if you remove your cylinders, you need to replace those ...
Wonder why it's different for the wheel ????

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Torque IS stretch. When you torque a bolt, you are stretching it.
Gotta go with Matt, replace them.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

KingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suckKingThrasher can happily embrace the suck
Plating of Bolts causes a chemical reaction in the Tensile strength of the material.

To give you an idea, lets take a normal Grade 8 Socket Head Cap Screw.
ALL socket products are Grade 8 material as an industry standard.

If you choose to plate those fasteners with an ElectroPLated ZINC finish, the process of plating alone will cause a breakdown in the chemical composition of the metal.
THUS, after plating the parts must be baked in an oven at around 400 Degrees for 4 hours. This allows the chemical properties in the metal to realign.
Its sort of an inpromptu Heat Treating if you will.

Chroming is a completely differnent process and Does affect the tensile strength of the material as well.

My suggestion would be that replacing those bolts would be "cheap" insurance.
Yes, placing Torque on a bolt does stress the Material.

My other suggestion would be to just use the STOCK bolts, and buy some chrome covers as I think replacing the chrome covers may prove to be Cheaper in the long run.
Just a suggestion.

Good Luck.

" A PiRaTeS Life for Me "
Old 05-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
New bolts and inspect the rim. I found two of the bolts loose once, and they wouldn't tighten down. The threads in the rim had stripped out. It cost me a new rear rim, but luckly I caught it before it caused more damage.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr4mikey View Post
we reuse the cylinder stud bolts ... they are designed to be stretched and torqued ....... I don't hear folks saying that if you remove your cylinders, you need to replace those ...
Wonder why it's different for the wheel ????
I have no knowldege on this. Maybe safety issue. Also sproket has more sheer stress on i??
Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 AM
R.I.P.
you know better...

mongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I have no knowldege on this. Maybe safety issue. Also sproket has more sheer stress on i??
Excellent point, Mike. Not just more sheer stress but almost exclusively sheer stress, while the cylinder studs have almost exclusively tensile stress.

What happens at catastrophic failure in each case?

So long for now RedRider

Nine-mile skid, on a ten-mile ride,
Hot as a pistol but cool inside.
Like I told ya, what I said,
Steal your face right off your head.

1965------2006

Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Excommunicated

I would rather have an engine blow, from safety sake, then tire fall off.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withShooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withShooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withShooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withShooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withShooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withShooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withShooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withShooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withShooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withShooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I seared off all the bolts on my sprocket, not sure if it was because the bolts were reused or just over stressed. It did alot of damage, ruined my rear wheel and some other crap that was not cheap to fix.

[/CENTER]

"East Coast Irregulars"